Anyone actually own or shoot a replica Root/Colt revolving rifle???

Started by Dakota Widowmaker, September 09, 2007, 04:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Widowmaker

I saw a review of them a while ago in a magazine and they have an interesting history.

I am wondering if they shoot well or not.

Pettifogger

I've been shooting C&B since the mid-1960's.  I don't ever recall seeing any full-size Root Revolving rifle replicas.

Forty Rod

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Mick Archer

Howdy Pards!

Yes, Dixie Gun Works is importing the Italian repro M1855 Colt Revolving Rifle, and has been for a few years.

It is the six shot .44 version, rather than the five shot .56 used by the Civil War military such as the initial rifle issued to Berdan's Sharpshooterws before they got their Berdan Contract NM1859 Sharps Rifles in June of 1862.

IMHO, the Italians forgot about two things... the Civil War ill-reputation of the gun for "chain-fires" that were rough on the shooter's forearm, and modern U.S. litigatious court culture.
     Almost immediately, negative publicity was hurting sales, and Dixie dropped the price to "get rid of them."
     But like the warning on some brands of lawnmowers not to use the mower to trim hedges, someone had the bright marketing idea to warn that the Colt M1855 Revolving Rifle should not be held as a conventional rifle but with the other hand under the trigger guard rather than in front of the cylinder down on the forestock.
    And then further U.S. Dollar damages caused by the rising Euro increased prices by over 33% over regular price and almsot doubled the initial sale price.  Last time I looked, they were $1250? 
     IMHO, between the cost,  .44 and not .56, and the danger to the shooter- few have sold and are rarely seen.

Others' mileage may vary..

Mick Archer
   Who would have bought one when they were $750 or so, had they been .56's Posse
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Dick Dastardly

I wonder if Walt Kirst could make a Konversion cylinder for 'em. . . . .

Just thinkn' again.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Texas John Critter

Every time I watch El Dorado and see Bull carrying his I want one.  Then I check my pocketbook and go back to dreaming.  I had a chance at an original about 10 years ago for a steal and didn't buy it because I was buying original Winchesters at the time.  Foolish things we do in our youth.
He any good?
He's killed more people than smallpox!
Well hell, introduce us.

Steel Horse Bailey

Howdy!

I've seen an original used in several episodes of Gunsmoke, but never an original OR the repro in person.  Personally, I think they're awesome looking!

The chain fire deal is way over-blown IF the proper size caps are used and don't get blown off while shooting.

A couple years ago I saw that Dixie's (then) newest catalog had them listed for $250 I think.  I couldn't dial the phone fast enough ... just to be told that a typo had omitted the 1 ... making it $1250.  It was a nice dream while it lasted!  ;) ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Mogorilla

I have seen some of the original carbines some of whiche were were made for Texas Rangers pre WBTS.   They were in .44 I believe.   When I heard Palmetto was making roots for Dixie, I hoped they were the carbine and began saving $0.01.    My personal opinion is the carbine is a sweet gun.   I have a shoulder stock for my 1860 Colt and it makes a sweet little plinker as well.  The carbine pretty much eliminated some of the chaine fire problems because it is an easy hold at the trigger rather than in front of the cylinder.  If I ever find the pot of gold, I will buy the rifle and have it redone as the carbine.   

sundance44`s

I made a drive up to Dixie Gun Works last year , First gun to catch my eye was the Root rifle , it is made by Palmetto and fit and finish was nice compaired to some of the other guns they sell . The Root felt good to shoulder but with the forearm its hard to resist useing it , it`s a rather heavy rifle , the cylinder is a long one and I`ve never seen a conversion for it .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Noz

Quote from: Steel Horse Bailey on September 11, 2007, 06:52:55 AM
Howdy!

The chain fire deal is way over-blown IF the proper size caps are used and don't get blown off while shooting.

I've been shooting C & B for a little over a year and I have had 3 chain fires. One with no lube or wad, one with lube only and one with wad only. Each time the fired chamber had a live cap on the nipple after the chamber fired.  The only way for the chain fire to have happened was around the seated ball. All balls were .003-.004 oversized and cut a nice ring.  Over blown? I don't think so.

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteThe only way for the chain fire to have happened was around the seated ball. All balls were .003-.004 oversized and cut a nice ring.  Over blown? I don't think so.

My first question here would be concerning the cap/nipple "marriage". If they are crappy non-concentric factory nipples then a spark could certainly circumnaviagate its way into the nipple hole. If you had a lead ring then it would be impossible for sparks to bypass UNLESS you have had "ball jump" (no, I'm not talking about your underwear!  ;) ) in a chamber thereby allowing sparks to get in. Just my 2 cents worth based upon shooting cap 'n ball pistols since the early 1970's. I have never had a chain fire.

Noz

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on September 15, 2007, 01:37:50 PM
My first question here would be concerning the cap/nipple "marriage". If they are crappy non-concentric factory nipples then a spark could certainly circumnaviagate its way into the nipple hole. If you had a lead ring then it would be impossible for sparks to bypass UNLESS you have had "ball jump" (no, I'm not talking about your underwear!  ;) ) in a chamber thereby allowing sparks to get in. Just my 2 cents worth based upon shooting cap 'n ball pistols since the early 1970's. I have never had a chain fire.

TRESCO nipples and #10 Remingtons. I've never seen anyone else have  a chain fire but I sure have.

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dakota Widowmaker

I have never had a chain fire in 3 years of SASS event shooting.

Treso (brass) nipples, CCI caps, GOEX powder, and a .452" ball with a healthy amount of lube on the outside.

I pinch those caps just a bit and they fit fine.

I do smear a bit of lube in the empty cylinder chamber, though.

My1858 Rem (Pietta) revolvers are also free from chain fires thus far.

I believe they do happen, but, not nearly as frequently as folks would have you believe.

home cut wonder wads have helped for many. As do lube over the ball/bullet.

Capt. Augustus

The only chain fire I have witnessed in over 35 years of shooting them, was a new pistol someone had just bought.  It chained fired several times in a row, he evidently couldn't take a hint.  It was 2 chambers at once.  It turned out to be a flaw in the cylinder.

Dick Dastardly

I guess that's why there's no fore stock on the Cattleman's revolving rifle. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Steel Horse Bailey

I'm certainly not doubting anyone, least of all, my esteemed pard (I've not yet met  ;) ) Nozzle Rag.  Chain fires are CERTAINLY documented.  Personally, in 35 yrs of BP shooting, I've never had one nor have I ever been with any shooter who has had one or even witnessed one.  Perhaps I'm just lucky.  And I almost always grease in front of the ball, as do the folks I've shot with.  The times I HAVEN'T used grease, perhaps 19.99% of my shooting, I mostly used a wad or a greased wad.  Sometimes a wad AND grease.  ::)  That takes care of 99.99% of the time.  That leaves the 0.01% time remaining which has been using NO wad OR grease - like what was often done "back in the day."  Until very recently, I've always struggled with ill-fitting caps, because of NOT being able to standardize the caps to the nipples.  I've had 2 guns with the old, no-longer-available stainless steel Uncle Mike's nipples.  VERY consistently sized, and they were the 1st company that realized that the SMALLER hole was the way to stop much of the cap splitting from blowback.  I have recently found a reliable source of Remington #11 caps which seem to be made for the Unc. Mike's nips.  I just (last week) got my 1st set of TRESO nipples on my Colt 1st Mod. Dragoon. (2nd Gen, USA-made.)  I expected them to need #10 sized caps, but the CCI #10s I have are too tight.  Again, the Remington #11s fit perfectly.

My point?  I'm STILL puzzled.  I usta think (dangerous for me, I know  :o ::) ;) ) that chain fires (aside from the odd mechanical reason like Cpt. Augustus mentions) were stopped by grease in front of the balls.  Then, the fire getting into an uncapped nipple was blamed - filmed and all, and DOES seem very logical - more so than the odd fire managing to pass backwards in a loaded cylinder PAST a well-fitting , squeezed ball.  Now - I'm jes' scratchin' my head.  ;D

Ottawa Creek Bill

I plan on buying one from Dixie this spring and converting it to a cartridge gun. I think it would make a great main match rifle in NCOWS. I'll probably make a new cylinder for it.....I'll have to research the chambering.....but I do have a couple of thousand .451 heeled bullets

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Steel Horse Bailey

Please - Please - PLEASE, Bill ...

Can I shoot it?

PLEASE ? !!!!!   ;D

sundance44`s

Bill after seeing the work you`ve done on the Henry ...I can`t wait to see this one .
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com