Poor service from Cimerron

Started by will52100, September 09, 2007, 03:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweettooth

I felt some opentops from Taylors , and they were smooth out of the box and they worked for the man that bought them.
  I know they are both made by Uberti. But there is the matter of quality control.
storm
usmc 67 70
dav
semper fi

will52100

Well I think I got it fixed.  Still need to test fire to be sure.  The cylinder face was contacting the back of the barrel.  End shake was on the order of .007-.008 with cylinder gap set at .005.  It was also undertimed quite a bit.  I like a little undertiming, just enough to drop the bolt into the lead in ramp, not half way around the cylinder.  A little work and a new hand and that is fixed.  As for the endshake and barrel gap, I milled a little off the back of the barrel and face of the barrel lug, there was a machined area where the gas ring rides that was below the surface of the barrel lug.  End shake is rite at about .001-.002, barrel gap is set at .005.   Wedge goes in farther now, but everything is parralel and hopefully rite.  This should do it, I hope.  I'm just about to the point of not wanting a 51 just from the trouble I've had with this one.  Hopefully I got it fixed.

Thanks for the figures Coffinmaker, I did a little reading but most of my books don't deel with opentop design or problems with them.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

will52100

Well test fired it today.  50 rounds of 38 LC black powder and 20 rounds of smokless 38spl. and narry a hick-up.  Hard to believe it's the same gun.  Of course I could have saved 6 months of going back and forth with Cimmeron if I'd just fixed it myself, but then I could just as easily been buying a new barrel and cylinder.

Glad to get it fixed, I will probably shoot it in this weekend's match.  I may take the bluing off and do a rust blue on the cylinder and barrel.  I cold blued the cylinder face and gas ring after stoning, and the back of the barrel and lug, but I haven't ever been happy with cold blue.

Thanks for everybodies help.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Abilene

Will52100, glad you are back in action with that conversion.  I just love the '51 R-M's!

Coffinmaker, one of my four '51 R-M's (charcoal blue one 3 or 4 yrs old) had the problem you mention with the hand spring pushing the cylinder forward.  Shot fine with smokeless but would bind right away with BP.  Once I took some off the back of the barrel and bent the hand spring a little so it didn't push the cylinder as hard it will run all day with BP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com