Cowboy "Tanker" Shoulder Holster....

Started by Nolan Sackett, September 09, 2007, 11:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nolan Sackett

For those looking for historical documentation this style holster this pic has been published in several sources - it's listed as being photographed at Big Sandy, MT circa 1890(s)
a closeup (also note the holster built into the chaps on the guy standing behind..)

full group photo

hope this helps......
aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

Trailrider

Could you ask him to stand up and turn around so we can see if the strap(s) go around his neck or cross in back? ::)

I have very little doubt that the M3 and M7 shoulder holsters were derrivatives of similar holsters.  If you look carefully at "Doc" (Val Kilmer) Holliday's shoulder holster, the backing is identical to the backing piece on an M7.

If you look closely at the photo, the shoulder holster appears to have what might be a half-flap that is tucked in behind the gun! And just what is that piece?  Double action something...
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Tommy tornado

Could be a Belgium or English Bulldog ???.  Don't think it is a Lightening.  Great picture.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Irish Dave

Looks a bit like a Model 1878 Colt DA to me.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Tommy tornado

# 356056

Capt. Augustus

Thanks for showing the picture,  I might have to do something like that after my shoulder surgery if I have to switch to left handed shooting.  The regular Huckleberry would put the strap on the shoulder that refuses to bear any weight.  That's the reason I invented the suspender.

Slowhand Bob

WOW, I know thet young feller with the shoulder holster rig!  He is a bit older now, but hmmm, I didnt know he smoked when he was a tadpole.  He still has thet same cocky attitude to.  HEHEHE oh well back to the cowboy wearing the chaps mounted holster.  I almost want to think that I can make out a Mexican loop style, single loop barely visible across the middle, but can see no skirt showing.  Unless his positioning makes the carry look wrong, it sure is a lousy angle for either cross draw or reverse draw.  Why shucks that angle would be more certain to dump the gun while sitting or on horseback as well!

Dr. Bob

Looks to me like he just stuck a revolver in the pocket of his chaps for the picture. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Travis Morgan

Quote from: Dr. Bob on September 21, 2007, 01:19:30 AM
Looks to me like he just stuck a revolver in the pocket of his chaps for the picture. 

+1

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I'm trying to get started on a tanker style holster for a S&W 1937 brazilian contract revolver.  My nephew is an Archeologist and fancies himselve as a reincarnation of Indiana Jones.  He is a forestry consultant in BC, and leaps of helicopters into wilderness areas to do native site clearances.  He is applying for a special carry permit for a pistol whilst in bear infested mountain tops (and bottoms) all by his lonesome.

While looking over my original US issue holster I spotted a weak spot.  The "D" ring for the back strap seems to be pulling away from the stitching.  I plan on running the strap holding the D ring around to the front of the holster. to balance the stress.

Any thoughts?

I also plan on using soft thongs to secure the adjustments on the strap around the back as the harness buckles available here seem too bulky.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Nolan Sackett

Quote from: Dr. Bob on September 21, 2007, 01:19:30 AM

you might want to take a look again - that revolver, a Model 1878 Colt DA, is NOT in his chaps pocket it is definitely a shoulder holster - it's way above his waist line - I've added text to show where various parts of his gear are, including the chaps pocket flap on his left leg:

I'd say there is only a single strap - wraps around ala a bandoller with a holster attached. There may be a flap, but I think it a wrinkle in the leather backing above the hammer from pulling it around to the front for better exposure.

aka Chuck Burrows
Frontier Knifemaker & Leather Smith

The revolver is in the chaps pocket of the guy BEHIND him.  Nolan, thanks for this picture as it shows it quite clearly. 

Nolan; Do you have any tips for a tanker for a revolver.  See my earlier post in this thread.

Tommy tornado

Possibly a holster shoved into the pocket on the chaps as well.  I love the photo.
# 356056

The "tanker" holster I have is the older style, M3, I thinks its called.  Now what about the M7?  It might be better for running around in splotchy painted vee-hickles, but which is better when yompin' through the bush with a ruck?

Seth Shaw

Anyone have any good suggestions for shoulder holster patterns I could purchase? I have a new project I am going to be working on for SASS. I'm working towards having pistols and gun leather more in keeping with what gamblers of the day used. I have a pretty cool plan I'm hoping I can bring together involving cut down and recrowned 1860 Army revolvers with .45 Colt R&D Conversion Cylinders and birdshead grip frames and a shoulder holster rig and a light & fast crossdraw holster.

It'll take a while to put the whole thing together, but I'm going to start a piece at a time and go from there. I'm really excited about doin this, so if you have any pattern suggestions and/or any gunsmiths in the Los Angeles area that work on cowboy guns that could help with some alteration work on reproduction 1860 Army revolvers I would appreciate it :)
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

outrider

Seth:

Hidecrafters has a shoulder holster pattern pack that is put out by Jim Simmons...called the "Brazos Jack" Shoulder Holster.  I have a copy but have not made anything from it yet.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

Seth Shaw

Quote from: outrider on March 04, 2008, 07:16:21 AM
Seth:

Hidecrafters has a shoulder holster pattern pack that is put out by Jim Simmons...called the "Brazos Jack" Shoulder Holster.  I have a copy but have not made anything from it yet.

Thanks outrider, I think I'll work with that style first and see how it works. The cut down 1860 Army will be fairly small and it looks like that style of shoulder rig will hold it very securely in place.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com