Totally useless information !

Started by Mason Stillwell, September 03, 2007, 10:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mason Stillwell

Went out this morning to test my 45/70. It is my Plainsman rifle . The great little Handi Rifle.

I had R P Brass  Pyrodex and a Big Lube boolit. The 375 grain one.

After  each round there was a little collar round the end of the brass of lube .It was close to 1/16 (well maybe a little less) completely around the  fired end of the brass. Bore  had sharp rifling and there was just like a dust left in the barrel.

I only shot bout 40 rounds though. Still had great accuracy.

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Howdy Doody

I have a Handi too Mason. I never noticed any lube on the neck of my brass. I assume you are talking about the outside of the brass. I use winchester brass, Goex and I shoot the DD 458 boolit too.
I am guessing that it is possible your brass is not flaring out enough to fill the chamber when shot. Are you using Starline?
The thing is, was your accuracy good. I never worry about much if accuracy is on, but I worry about a lot if my groups are all over the place.  :)
Old Scout got my 336 cowboy 38-55 running so good, that I might try an get a 38-55 barrel for my Handi. If I can't find one, I know a pard that sent his 30-30 to H&R and got a 45-70 barrel and he may want to sell the 30-30 barrel and I could get that made into a 38-55 by Old Scout.
I like 38-55 because it shoots so flat. I can shoot that durn thing out to 200 yards and not have to fool with tang settings and all. I only shoot 777 with it.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Cuts Crooked

Howdy Doody,

I think Mason is talking about a "beard" of lube hanging from the edge of the case mouth after firing. I get that too when using my Big Lube slugs in my 45-70. 8)
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Mason Stillwell

Yes Cutts you are Zackly correct!!!!!!!!!!!

It goes complete around the empty end of the brass.

Will say I got the best results today that I have ever got. MERCY I like this round.

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Howdy Doody

The question is why do you pards and I don't? Never have had that happen and I have shot a weird assortment of boolits in 45-70 too. I get gamey sometimes and I have actually shot a boolit as light as 300gr. My big lube boolits at about 400+ gr is what I shoot mostly.
I use a 50/50 ratio of mutton tallow and beeswax and tailor the amount of crisco to the batch depending on the weather.
Is it the lube causing that? Did it shoot fine? Does the Goex make the difference? Was it because the barrel got hot. I have never shot more than 10 at the most one right after the other.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Mason Stillwell

I use my mix of Crisco, Ballistol ,Tolet bowl ring and some PS lube. OH YEA Eye of Newt. LOL
;)
Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Howdy Doody

Eye of Newt? Do you get that from Buffalo Arms, Dixie or harvest yer own?  ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Cactus Cris

He gets it from a-----heavy fig tree.        Fig- newt--ton ::) ??? >:(

OK OK OK I will go to my room! :'(
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Dr. Bob

CC,

Best post I've seen in a long time.  You get a GOLD STAR in my classroom!! ;D :o ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Dick Dastardly

Sounds like the bowl ring wax is doin' it's thing.  The stuff tends to hang in there after any other stuff is vaporized.  I've seen it, but not since I came out with PL-II.

PL-II does all that PL-I original, or should I call it "Classic", does and then one thing more.  It leaves a teflon like coating that absolutely resists fouling.  It cleans up as easy as PL-I.

I'm sending out some more DD 45-70 Mk-II bullet samples this morning.  Seems word is getting around that it flys good. :) :)

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Mason Stillwell

Aint this sperminting fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Tar Heel at Heart

Forty Rod

Quote from: Howdy Doody on September 03, 2007, 11:01:49 AM
but I worry about a lot if my groups are all over the place.  :)

I worry a lot if mine aren't all over the place.  :o
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

RattlesnakeJack

Quote from: Cactus Cris on September 03, 2007, 11:30:05 PM
He gets it from a-----heavy fig tree.        Fig- newt--ton ::) ??? >:(

OK OK OK I will go to my room! :'(

Sounds like we must have the same warped sense of humor, Cris!   

When I was much younger, I had a pair of red spotted newts as "pets" ... their names were Fig and Isaac ......   ::)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com