VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sod Buster

Quote from: litl rooster on February 23, 2012, 04:21:22 PM
no credit for the stand in picture, I am not sure if that was the one Sod Buster mentioned or not. I made a pistol stand like the one shown 5 or 6 years ago.  But I think it could be adapted to them fancy horseless carridges ya'll have been pushing. 

PR I need to smell some sulpher and walk thru the smoke and be reunited to clad of metal falling....unfortunately I have to work this weekend

LR, the picture you posted is what I was referring to.  Attached is another shot (cbcart2.jpg) that shows the cut-out areas better.  They are little 'cubby holes' for holding balls, caps, etc.  Also attached is a cheap version by aother shooter.  He just has a piece of plywood and a loader for loading the cylinders out of the gun.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Wildcat Will

The one I put together will not fold down but with a box for supplies on the back, it is only about 3.5 inches tall.  Obviously have not tried to load lead but i would think for powder and patch on the loading table is should work alright. 
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Sod Buster

WW,
You can modify it to fold down by installing a hinge.  This makes it easier for transport only.  I think your loading stand should work just great.  Go ahead and try it out!  Those lead balls with make a tight seal against moisture and you will be already good to go for the 1st stage.  ;D  I've left a partial cylinder loaded for a couple of weeks before.

LR, haven't you done the same? 
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Lucky Irish Tom

I have SB. I would agree with the others Majer should at least be able to load 20 grains in the Remmies.

Will how much you want for one of those stands, I hope to be at Waverly in March with my 1860s.

Gentlemen it's time to make FIRE, SMOKE, BOOM AND STINK!
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Wildcat Will

LIT I aint selling nottin'.  If it will work for you I can make one up.  The prototype may need a little modification so I will let folks see what they think and then put something together for em if their interested.  I'm going to be going with only the cylinders that came with the guns.  It should be interesting to if it is $70 worth of trouble to load the same cylinder each time.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

WW, when I had the navies set up for BP and had six cylinders it was pretty cool - since Nate had the two navie set up to work with all six cylinders.  However, back then it cost me 120.00 for the four extra cylinders - but at 70.00 a pop now I definitely would steer clear of that.

Unless I get some pretty massive binding due to shooting multiple strings - I can't imagine it would be worth it for me to have multiple cylinders with my R&S revolvers.

I may need to get a couple holsters for the R&S pistols - due to the design of the rammer system and the locking piece - they hang up a little in my large frame pistol frogs.  Not ready just yet to lay down the money since the holsters fit them well - but will see how it goes next couple matches.

Keep your fingers crossed for Katie B - will send out Posts sunday/monday with how she does!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Lucky Irish Tom

The Luck of the Irish to Miss Katie!
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Wildcat Will

Wildcat Will

Noticed today that when I have problems with my new RCBS hand primer it is always with Winchester brass.  :o All the other brass seems to hold and the primers seat without a problem.  However, the rim on the Winchester brass must be ever so slightly narrower because when I attempt to press the primer into the pocket, the case pops out.  :o  Anyone else ever notice a difference in the brass from different companies?   ???

litl rooster

From the work bench of Litl Rooster's Skunk Werks

Winchester   .509"
Top Brass    .510"
Starline       -.510"  just a shade under
CBC           -.510"     "   "    "      "        
RP              .510"

Used old dial micrometer measured twice. The two were in between marks/ticks and to close to call with these micrometers
Mathew 5.9

Wildcat Will

Thanks LR.  Most of the brass I have is Starline and I've had no problem with priming it with the RCBS.  I guess I could fiddle with the settings but I just don't have enough Winchester to make it worth the effort.  Amazing that little bit of difference could make that much of a difference.

Pony Racer

Katie B won her division. She has advanced to the National Finals in NY.  WAHOOOO YEHAWWWW
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

goosefoot

ww  it may not be the rin dia. but the primer pocket hole dia.  the win holes are tight.

goosefoot

litl rooster

Congratulations Katie B.

Quote from: goosefoot on February 27, 2012, 08:13:15 AM
ww  it may not be the rin dia. but the primer pocket hole dia.  the win holes are tight.

goosefoot

Thats interesting,  I sort my Win brass from all the other. I used it Strictly for rifle brass. Occassionaly I will find a piece I am unable to get a primer to seat in it. Or even able to get a primer out of.  Now I will have to pay attention to which brand it is. Sometimes the band from the primer will stay in place. Unaware of it till I try to load the new primeer in it.  I thought maybe I had some on the bench. I will have to watch on my next loading of .45's

Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

I have only noticed Winchester brass being harder to resize than the others.  Hence, the winchester brass seems to fail and split sooner than others.

My dillon dies seems to prefer magtech brass and Starline brass overall.  I also have some "Top Brass" 44 ruskie brass that the dies seem to have no issue with either.

Thanks LR - Katie B is still on cloud 9...me and the missus are trying to figure out the cheapest way to do the NY trip...
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Wildcat Will

Goosefoot thanks for the insight.  Are you going to make it to the Waverly match Sat weather permitting.  If so you mentioned you had some musket primers I could get from you.  If you remember would you be so kind as to bring them. 

Wildcat Will

Quote from: Pony Racer on February 26, 2012, 03:22:26 PM
Katie B won her division. She has advanced to the National Finals in NY.  WAHOOOO YEHAWWWW

Congrats to the champ!!!!!!!! :o ;D  Dad you will find a way to get to NY.  When are the Nationals?

Pony Racer

Will thanks - she is still stoked - thankfully IEA Nationals is the weekend after BRR 8).

I even asked my wife this am if maybe I should cancel but she wants me to do the BRR match for Sarah (aka Cardinal Wind) - since probably only wife and i will accompany Katie to NY.

Sarah will bring her 22's for friday side match day (we will find an open bay and practice) and be my helper/shopper and date for meals during the match.

If the weather is good I am shooting my R&S pistolas!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWW

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com