VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

litl rooster

Break out the good stuff!

Irish Whiskey all around! ;D Happy Birthday Tom
Mathew 5.9

Sod Buster

I don't need any .451 balls.  I have them because the Uberti manual for my 1858 Remmies recommended that size.  They were wrong!  The .454 balls give me the proper lead ring - both on the Remmies & the 1860 Armys.  I think I have enough .454 balls but may order more since you indicated they were on sale.  You can never have enough lead...or caps!   ;D

No, I didn't use to take the nipples off every time I cleaned the cylinders.  I asked Potter what he did.  He told me he just loosens them and squirts some gun oil in there to keep the threads from sticking & retigntens (but not too tight)..  I was cleaning them & noticed that I was having trouble getting all of the burned powder out so I am wondering what the best way to clean is.  It has been so long since I used C&B.

Here is Captain Baylor states in his "Frontiersman For Dummies" posting:
Clean the nipple area with the toothbrush. Personally, I never remove the nipples. Instead I clean the outside of the nipples with the toothbrush, then turn them 180° with a nipple wrench and repeat, then re-tighten. Dry it. Toothbrush fouling off the frame after dousing with Windex. Clean and lube the base pin with lubricant of choice. Run a Bore Snake through the bore (Windex on front end, lubricant on back end). Lube with lubricant of choice. Reassemble.
Keep in mind this is written for the Ruger Old Army gun - which is stainless so you can ignore his comment about lubing.  Lube just like you do with your Open Tops.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Wildcat Will

SB   I had a good time with the new pistolas. I think for now the 25 gns will work.  I'm looking for a flask and may see if I can get both a 25 and a 30 spout.  

I found another box of .454 balls in my box o gun stuff.  Thought I had a funnel but couldn't put my hands on it.  I had it for the 50 cal rifle.  I was looking around for the Ampco nipples and Track of the Wolf has them and two sets would run around $80 shipped.  I checks the Possibles Shop, EMF, Dixie and Buffalo Arms and Track of the Wolf seemed to have the best price.

Had a lot of fun.  I found I need to get a nipple wrench as the needle nose just took too long. The wrench I have works great on the rifle but won't fit the pistolas.

I also found that the electric air pump I have for the RV tires has a needle for filling balls.  I used it to air dry the nipples and cylinders after the warm soapy bath I gave them.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Sod Buster

Quote from: Pony Racer on February 05, 2012, 11:26:13 AM
Hey do you take your nipples off everytime? you shoot the C&B's?

PR:

Read all of this thread:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,37230.0.html

I think the best approach is to loosen them/re-tighten them but only remove them once a year.

Pony Racer

Thanks SB - all that info was inline with what I did last night other than loosening the nipples - i will loosen tonight and tooth brush them and then retighten - the only issue I ham having is one of my R&S cylinder pins was a bit sticky so that one I had to clean on the frame.

I downloaded the manual and think i figured what i need to do.

The other pistol I did the half turn of screw that holds rammer and pin assembly and everything came apart as advertised.

I think I am going to go ahead and order the balls, a nipple pick, a few more wads and another flask.

Right now I am going to stay with the euroarms nipples -  the caps took to them well and they seem a bit different than the ones on the piettas and ubertis that I have dealt with in the past.

WW - I have three nipple wrenches - if you need one before yours comes in this week I can pop over tomorrow/tuesday afternoon/evening.

The other cool thing is that I have a rig that is set for these pistols due to making a rig for my french 1873s...the big frame of the french pistols have the holsters ready to accept the R&S pistols easy!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Pony Racer

Possibles got my order tonight while waiting for Super Bowl commercial to be over.

Again pards - for whatever reason the Hornady balls are almost $2.00 less at Possibles shop!

Ordered a couple more flasks, nipple pick, nipple ratchet, 4 boxes of balls, 500 wads and two more 25 grain spouts.

WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWWWWWW

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

litl rooster

From Hawg at the Firearms Forum
Take a 3/16 socket. Cut a slot across the middle and file to fit. Best nipple wrench ever and cheap to boot.

Use a quarter inch drive now you can use a breaker bar or a rachet. A dremel with a cut off blade or two should make short order of this project.
(I think once a years enough also)

Remember your measuring spouts are a by volume measurement. Once you place your finger over the end you may loose a few grains in measurement. This may vary from user to user with the same measuring spout.

I don't think my powder flask holds enough for a complete match and should look for another one.  In-line cappers I have bought several. They don't work! I have modified two that work sometimes. Most of the times they drop half to all the caps in them when you cap the first nipple. I don't know that any of the snail cappers are better, maybe Flatboat or Potter or one of the others can ring in on that. Don't waste your $$$ on the In-lines.
Mathew 5.9

Sod Buster

Quote from: litl rooster on February 06, 2012, 05:00:15 PM
In-line cappers I have bought several. They don't work! I have modified two that work sometimes. Most of the times they drop half to all the caps in them when you cap the first nipple. I don't know that any of the snail cappers are better, maybe Flatboat or Potter or one of the others can ring in on that. Don't waste your $$$ on the In-lines.

Flatboat has given up C&B for now.  Potter was shooting the same posse as me on Saturday.  He got all his gear from Flatboat.  Potter was using the Ted Cash snail capper.  I noticed that BDM was doing the same in his video on the 44cal Navy C&B.  I ordered one to try but as still able to put them on with my fingers.  I know that is frowned upon but I am careful and use the antler "pusher" that you made for me. 

I am gonna try my "Speed Loaders" at the next match to see how well they work.  That'st he slow part....measuring/pouring the powder.  Potter had his individually measured.  I am looking into something similar.

Pony Racer

I have had good luck with my "Ted Cash" inline ones, my cheap one with a plastic thing like spring does not do that good of a job.

The R&S pistolas make it easy though - very roomy where to put cap on...

So happy with pistols...they are one of the more expensive C&Bs so excited they are working out so well!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Pony Racer

Wahoooo just recv'd intent pony express mail word that my order of C&B supplies from the Possible Shop is enroute!

Hmmm i might just shoot C&B at the next Mattponi match...still have to be listed as FC though since I shoot two handed...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Pony Racer

My possibles package got here!

Wahoooooooooooooooooooooo

I think I have enough cappers and flasks to get through a match.  I am going to go through my gear tonight and see if maybe i need another pouch for my gear or if between my leather and gun cart I have a good setup for everything.

Again for theF&B Posse and the Wire the Possibles Shop has the cheapest price on Hornady lead swaged BP balls anywhere.

YehaWWWWWWWWWWWW
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

litl rooster

Well then   

Let there be smoke!
Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

See the Smoke, feel the Fire and smell the Brimstone!

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YEAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

litl rooster

Happy Birthday Sod Buster  may it be a firey one!
Mathew 5.9

Sod Buster

Thanks for the Birthday wishes.  Birthday is actually Sunday (2/12) but I figure I can party all weekend!

Headed to the Gun Show to see what I can't live without.

Pony Racer

Happy B-DAY SB!

Felt like B-day for me today.

I was sked to pick up Sarah B's first cowgirl pistol only but Nate finished fixing one pistol with hand issues, another with a firing pin issue and my 66 short rifle in 66 special - which is now set to shoot my little 44 Ruskies!

This all ontop of getting Sarah's little 22 revolver with pink grips...

I found I have enough leather, and pouches andholsters to set up for the R&S pistols....

May just have to shoot the 66 with the R&S C&Bs next weekend...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Sod Buster

Very cool, PR!
I have got to go visit Nate sometime.  I wish I lived closer.  :(

Didn't buy anything new at the Nations Guns Show today....way too crowded.  I guess people are stocking up for the Zombie Apocolypse or Omama's second term!  :o :-X ;D

Pony Racer

There was a ton of buying going on this week and weekend at the gunshop.

The gunshop that Nate works at was getting low on tactical pistols...

Zombies must be coming...heck have you not seen the counter zombie 223 ammo?!:)

PR

GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

litl rooster

Quote from: Pony Racer on February 11, 2012, 06:14:52 PM

Zombies must be coming...heck have you not seen the counter zombie 223 ammo?!:)

PR

Wish I would have thought of it
Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

I thought it was whacky at first but with all the doomsday shows, movies and video games the stuff is selling like hotcakes.

Maybe the BP community could pick it up...you know Zombies don't like guns that Spit Fire!!!:) ;D

PR

Next Sunday I am going to be Mr BP booming 44s knocking on your door...
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com