VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildcat Will

PR thanks for mentioning Taylor's. 

Posse I need a question answered as soon as possible.  What is the advantage of fluted vs unfluted for the cylinders?

Taylor has both as a good price and the R&D Conversions are not a bad price either. 

Thanks in advance.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Pony Racer

WW - they had some nice looking 60's!

And R&D cylinders for them!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Pony Racer

I am actually having the same thought WW.

I may just have to shoot a pair of Rogers and Spencers without converting them...

I also handled multiple pistolas for Sarah, double barreled hammer guns, lever guns for daddy.

I got me a new flask and spouts and cleaning kit for the Rogers and Spencer.

I will probably still shoot two handed so I will stay in FC but shoot C&Bs instead...

Wahoooooooooooooo

I love them guns...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Sod Buster

Quote from: Wildcat Will on January 28, 2012, 08:06:05 PM
Posse I need a question answered as soon as possible.  What is the advantage of fluted vs unfluted for the cylinders?

I am not aware of any advantage to the fluted cylinders.  It is just another style - that was not that commonly available at the time.  It is just a style that was not produced in numbers as large as the unfluted.

Maybe someone else has a different opinion...

--Sod Buster
p.s.  I got three 1860 Armys  (all unfired - recently purchased).  Hoping to make it on Saturday.....
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

litl rooster

Quote from: Sod Buster on January 29, 2012, 01:40:36 PM
I am not aware of any advantage to the fluted cylinders.  It is just another style - that was not that commonly available at the time.  It is just a style that was not produced in numbers as large as the unfluted.

Maybe someone else has a different opinion...

--Sod Buster
p.s.  I got three 1860 Armys  (all unfired - recently purchased).  Hoping to make it on Saturday.....

Like Sod Buster said.
 I have seen the fluted cylinder models offered I think VTI had some extra ones at one time. It wouldn't surprise me to find out it's in tha same catagory as the .44 cal 51 Navy.   Good Luck   I need to shoot something smoky and stinky

You only have 2 hands pard
Mathew 5.9

litl rooster

Quote from: Wildcat Will on January 27, 2012, 04:19:17 PM
LR  I can get the Sheriff model in 44.  Heck that's only .01 from my 45s.   ;D

maybe more like a pair of thece. No loading lever to fall when you squeeze the trigger
Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

LR that looks like the large bore Naval Gatling Guns I saw at the Coast Guard Academy!

I can just imagine wooden hulled spanish ships getting chewed to pieces!:)

WW - I can bring my extra pair of 44 Russian 1872 OT's to try out if'n you want to try those as well.

I may just go ahead an order another R&S soon...luckily the pair of naval holsters i has made for my french 1873 St Etienne revolvers will work for the R&S pistolas.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Wildcat Will

That would be great to try out another OT.   ;D   So many choices and so little time/money. ::)

Talked to Saltwater John today and tried out his 1860 Army Sheriffs.  Gonna take a little getting use to.  I think I like the Army grip better than the Navy.  Seems to fit my hand better.  

He was telling me Uberti would be better for C&B than the Pietta.  Any thoughts on that?

Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Pony Racer

Years ago Uberti quality was better than Pietta. However, I wouldn't shy away from them now. My two conversion sets are both Pietta's.

My R&S pistolas are Euroarms.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Wildcat Will

Just pulled the trigger on the credit card for a pair of the 1860 Army Steel Sheriff models from Taylors.  ;D  :o  :o  ;D

No conversions gonna keep 'em C&B for now.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Pony Racer

Dang now I am going to have to pull trigger on second R&S pistola... ;D

Pards don't let pards C&B shoot alone ;)

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

PR

GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Pony Racer

WW maybe we should see about doing a mass 44 round ball procurement...

I may buy a couple hundred or so today on drive home to ensure i can practice but i know we can get them cheaper if we buy in large amounts...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Wildcat Will

Sounds reasonable.  I'm gonna look into a Wonder Wad purchase as well.  Not sure what size ball these will take and in fact when they will come in.  Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

Pony Racer

Wahooooooooo I am home!

WW give me a holler via email or phone.  BTW my 2nd R&S is being processed for delivery by Dixie - dang we have a sickness...

I need to do a couple errands tonight after 7pm or so - so I can deliver powder if you want.

F&B Posse good thing we got this powder now - we got some of the last Diamond Back at 10.00 a can purchased as a case.

I was told it will probably go up to about 11.00 a can (bought by case) soon.

Scheutzen and Goex seemed to be staying at current price quotes...

BTW my 2nd R&S is being processed for delivery by Dixie - dang we have a sickness...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Sod Buster

Quote from: Wildcat Will on January 29, 2012, 03:48:33 PM
I think I like the Army grip better than the Navy.  Seems to fit my hand better.  

He was telling me Uberti would be better for C&B than the Pietta.  Any thoughts on that?

I agree that the Army grip would work better for you since you have larger hands.
I think you held both PR's Navy-grip OT and my Army-grip RM's either at Star City or the Range War and you liked the Army better.

I agree with PR that at one time Uberti was better than Pietta but Pietta has gotten better (per reports of users here on Cas City).
I am still sticking with Uberti since that is what I have.

Sod Buster

Quote from: Wildcat Will on January 30, 2012, 04:47:59 AM
Just pulled the trigger on the credit card for a pair of the 1860 Army Steel Sheriff models from Taylors.  ;D  :o  :o  ;D

Way to go, pard!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sod Buster

Quote from: Pony Racer on January 30, 2012, 08:46:39 AM
Pards don't let pards C&B shoot alone ;)

'zactly!

OF course if several of us are shootin' C&B we will be fightin' over running the loading & unloading tables so we can load up for the next stage!....might have to invest in several cyinders so we can just pop in a new one for the next stage!  ::)

Sod Buster

Quote from: litl rooster on January 29, 2012, 02:05:18 PM
You only have 2 hands pard

Gettin' ready for Josie Wales class.....C&B style!  ;D ::) ;D :o

Pony Racer

Now I am wondering what size balls I should be using in my R&S Pistolas...unfortunately it is not in writing anywhere...

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Sod Buster

PR:
I purchased some .451 balls originally for my two 1858 Remmies but later switches to .454 to get a tighter fit and the lead ring when seating.  I may have some .451 balls left.  If so I can bring some of each for you to try this Saturday if you are inerested.
I don't know which the Piettas and the Euroarms recommend.

++++++++++++++++++
Later..
I see you got a recommendation of .457 from some users here.  That should answer your question.
Lemme know if you still want me to bring the .451 balls.

-tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com