VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcey

Y'all missed out. I brung my b'day cake ta share yestitty. PR got the first hunk.     
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

Quote from: Arcey on October 03, 2010, 06:14:42 AM
Y'all missed out. I brung my b'day cake ta share yestitty. PR got the first hunk.     

just like me always late to the fire...Happy B'Lated
Mathew 5.9

Wildcat Will

Got back from MDS last night and I must say it was the worst shootin' I've done at a match I travelled to git to.  The stages were as much fun as last year but my ammo gave me so much greef I considered leaving after the first day.  Probably should have. 

For those who have switched over to Diamondback powder, I have found that loading the same volume in my cases does NOT compress as well as the GOEX does.  I also find that I get about 10 -15 fewer rounds.  When I compress the loads I am deforming the booolet which is making it too wide.  This is making it not load properly in the rifle (and the pistol but it is obvious in them).  I had to force the lever closed to make it go BOOOOOOM. 

This morning I got out the micrometer and found that boolets were .458 in loaded cases.  I reduced the load so as not to compress as much and loaded 4 rounds.  Those mic at .450.  These measurements were taken on the boolet right at the top of the case.  The loading book call for .452.  I carefully cycled the new loads and they cycle properly. 

As for the other issue at MDS was stage one on day two where I fire 7 shotgun rounds at a knockdown and it wiggled but did not fall.  The one next to it was shot first and it fell with no problem.  Two fellas were certain I was blowing a hole through my pattern.  I tried to explain that the one next to it fell and I have be using this load for many years with no problems.  There were not convinced. 

Bottom line I suspect I finished 399 out of 400 (assuming someone didn't show because of the flooding.  I actually lost my YEEEEEE HAAAAAA but I will work on finding it before my next match.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ????
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Wildcat Will

BTW a conventioneer at MDS had a 32" 10 gauge that was calling my name.  It almost came home with me.  He wanted $550.  Just did not have the financial wherewithall to manage that at this time.  I could have made some real BOOOOOM with that little lady.
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: Wildcat Will on October 03, 2010, 07:07:12 AM
BTW a conventioneer at MDS had a 32" 10 gauge that was calling my name.  It almost came home with me.  He wanted $550.  Just did not have the financial wherewithall to manage that at this time.  I could have made some real BOOOOOM with that little lady.

Wish ya had called me, I would have got the money to you somehow.  I would LOVE to have a 10ga!   Heck maybe we could have been partners on it and share it.  I'd share a gun with ya, jus not my woman, well not unless she was part of the deal for the 10ga. :o  Yeeee Haaa!  Oh, don't worry about your Yeee Haaa.  We will git it back to ya next Sunday, that is if you can get permission to leave the house next weekend. ;D
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Arcey

D'odorant..... Careful if ya find it, Roo. Known some folks ta rub it on then dry up 'n blow away. **POOF**

Untamedfeline William, mi amigo. Myownself was perfectly happy with my load 'til we had ta clear the star it TiB a few back. They didn't handle it too well. Missed a bunch ah clays from launchers too. Started stickin' shot cups in 'em 'n it got a lot better. Now that we got a range we can play on we could bring out some paper 'n pattern the things.

Oh, 'n if ya run inta that ten again I can float ya a loan. Ten easy payments of seventy five bucks, federal, a month. Didn't make no money yestitty. Kept tellin' them frettin' 'bout their times I could deduct some fer em as I was the afishal scorekeeper. Five bucks per second(s) deducted, take it right off there – no takers..........

Yer always welcome, Drayton.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Pony Racer

Will - I am thinking you need to check the bullets before the powder.

I have had no issue with DB and 38's; however, I did have some over compressed 44 rounds a few years back over GOEX and the lead in the bullets was soft enough that the bullets deformed.

Are you "miking" the bullets before you load them up - seems odd that they would deform so much...

Anyway, i will trade you some Schuetzen for the DB if you like.  I think I have 4 full bottles left.

Also Sodbuster was wondering if anyone needed some more powder and wanted to go in on a buy.

Sorry you had the bad luck - dang that 10 guage smokepole sure sounded nice.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

litl rooster

Quote from: Arcey on October 03, 2010, 12:21:21 PM
D'odorant..... Careful if ya find it, Roo. Known some folks ta rub it on then dry up 'n blow away. **POOF**

Yer always welcome, Drayton.

Herd the old folks and the shamans speak of this
Mathew 5.9

Lucky Irish Tom

Hmmm, a 10, and the knockdowns do quaketh with fear!  That might be one I wouldn't try shooting both barrels at the same time on.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Wildcat Will

I'm giving some real serious thought about calling the fella (I got his card) and seeing if he could come off the price a bit.  

As for the boolets, they mic at about .448.  After loading they are .450 and they cycle fine.  However, not only are some of them pushing .455 but you can see a groove around the top.  I have also noticed when I needed to pull a boolet the compressed powder was much hard to remove than I remember with Goex.  I messed around with the load today and found if I decreased the powder to about an 1/8th of an inch below the top instead of 1/16th or full the boolet did not deform.  I don't think it will have an appreciable change in the BOOOOM, Smoke, Fire or Stink and the round cycle properly in the rifle.  

As for the YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAA I'm sure as soon as I get this ammo issue taken care of it will be back.  I can YEEEEEE HAAAAA after a crappy stage when I just shoot bad.  However, when the problem is mechanical or ammo it really bugs me.  It took a while for me to get the shotgun loading straight where I warnt shootin' blanks cause the shot ran down my barrel. <Remember, this is a family site!>

I'm not sure about Lost River Saturday but I should be at the SSS match Sunday.  

litl rooster

Wildcat we have all had issues with the shotshells especially with the top card leaving you before you pull the trigger.  Like Arcey sed you have the place to put some on paper. My last outing at Lost river I used 4 rounds on a knock down. I forgot that my Stoeger I need to aim lower on the target than my other shotguns.

I have changed my loads in the past year or two to 70 grains of ffg and 1 oz of shot. Both Brass and plastic hulls
Mathew 5.9

Tricky Trina

Now wait a daggone minute...... Somehow gettin used to git a gun I can't even shoot sticks in my craw a bit....  Use yur ex if'in ya got ta......  >:(
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Sod Buster

Quote from: Missouri Marshal on October 03, 2010, 11:50:49 AM
Wish ya had called me, I would have got the money to you somehow.  I would LOVE to have a 10ga!   Heck maybe we could have been partners on it and share it. 

Same here.  I would have loved to have it.

We could have staged it at Sussex and made EVERYBODY shoot it!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Pony Racer

Hey - WW call the guy back tomorrow maybe you/we can work something out with him!

Heck if it ends up being a "shared Blackpowder Posse gun" I'll even buy the first 50 pieces of brass for that there 10 guage!

LR ain't kidding with the shotshells - i had so many issues just over a year ago that I gave him a bunch of shot, powder and primers and shot plastic with my brass for almost half a year until i finally switched completely to my glue gun glue.

WW - I will say will that the only bp shotgun that I do not have issues with the star is my Martini single shot - because it has a very tight pattern 12 guage round full of shot coming out of a 14 guage hole.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: Tricky Trina on October 03, 2010, 05:35:53 PM
Now wait a daggone minute...... Somehow gettin used to git a gun I can't even shoot sticks in my craw a bit....  Use yur ex if'in ya got ta......  >:(

Couldn't git nuthin fer her.  None of my Cowboy Pards would want her.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132

Tricky Trina

Not like I'm worth much since my shoulder's been broke...  :(
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: Tricky Trina on October 04, 2010, 03:18:42 AM
Not like I'm worth much since my shoulder's been broke...  :(

I wouldn't say that but this is a family forum so I ain't goin into any details. ;)

Arcey

Tricky Trina

Wildcat Will

Sent an email out to the fella wit the 10 to see ifn he still has it.  I figure I can git it sent to Waverly or Ivor ifn he still has it.  I just decided we needed a cannon fur Sussex. 

If I kin git it, I think l'll need a little help from my friends gittin' the parts fur loading it.  I figure about a lb of powder per match autta do it.   ;D :o ::)

If I don't git an email back in a day or two I will call him and see what we can do.  She were just toooooooo purdy.  That an the workout just to carry her around.  That were one heffty girl!!!!!!!!! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com