VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcey

After a few years of 'em when I was shootin' a bunch I couldn't get it right 'cordin' ta the 'spurts. Ain't usin' 'em now. I'd say why but 'cordin' ta a different 'spurt it wouldn't serve any useful purpose 'n the thread'll get dumped.

Mebbe Goosefoot'll get 'em right.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

Can't get the file to transfer to Utube....still workin' on it...

Arcey I don't know what you did wrong but I think Goosefoot figgere'd it out. He's knock'n down targets with that 66 grain round ball
Mathew 5.9

Arcey

My balls weight out heavier'n that. 'Bout 77 grains dependin' on the wrinkles. N'er a problem with BC's wunnerful 'n interestin' plate rack stages. Love the hike ta shoot dem stages too. Knocked o'er shotgun targets with 'em.

Whut me, 'n prolly GF, ain't gettin' is the blow-up-the-pistol part. Shot a many ah one 'n just ain't gettin' it proper. All's I can get 'em ta do is go BOOM 'n clang the targets. So I give up 'n went ta wadcutters. They don't make no recoil ta speak of either. Them Heap Bad Medicine cartridges is too much of a PITA ta load but they're the best ever fer FC pistol as applied ta this silly gun game.

Opps, there goes the thread.................
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

litl rooster

I've tested them wad cut'r under 4 (BP 2 kinds of sub and clays) different powders in Montana's .45's they'r not much recoil to 'm

Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

BOOM baby BOOM Baby BOOM!!! ;D

My 158 38 spl 1.33cc BP loads don't recoil much either - but then again they knock every thing down when I do my part.

Now my 44 Russian loads do kick a bit but I like them ever so much.

Itching to shoot in Md State here now in 9 days - wahoooooooooooooo

I am off this thurs-fri and then off 24-29 June next week - lots of fun just around the corner!!

Wahoooooooooooooooo
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Arcey

PR, ain't nothin' wrong or dangerous with the loads. Sumthin' was gonna go wrong it would have 'long time ago. They don't hurt for the ability ta ring a target so there's no doubt in a spotter's mind it's been hit. Mine, the original Heap Bad Medicines, never fail ta take down a knock down. Hell, you've prolly spotted me shootin' a few hunnert of 'em.

The spurts who warned of danger were prolly well intentioned but they were, 'n are, flat wrong.  Goes ta show ya what ya read here should be taken with a grain of salt 'til ya kin talk ta folks ya know eye ta eye 'n check it out fer yerself......

Pony Racer

Aye Arcey me Fire and Brimstone Mate - I have seen the heep a bad medicine loads whompin the targets good!!

My 1876 has arrived!!  Now if'n I can get her before the 2nd or 3rd i will be lucky.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

litl rooster

got some .41 colt brass on the way...might have to 'spearimint with them "HBM"
Mathew 5.9

Arcey

Quote from: litl rooster on June 18, 2009, 07:29:13 AM
got some .41 colt brass on the way...might have to 'spearimint with them "HBM"

Ya might have problems comin' up with the balls ta try......

Tricky Trina

...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Arcey

Quote from: Tricky Trina on June 18, 2009, 02:38:09 PM
;D    heh, heh, heh

I meant the right size.... Er, big 'nuff but not.... I mean......

Awwwwwww hell, cuz...... Heh, heh, heh........

Sod Buster

Quote from: Arcey on June 18, 2009, 12:42:43 PM
Ya might have problems comin' up with the balls ta try......

It seems that Colt kept redesigning the bullet & gun:  (from Wikipedia)
The .41 Long Colt cartridge was created in 1877 for Colt's double-action "Thunderer" revolver. It was a lengthened version of the earlier centerfire .41 Short Colt, which was made to duplicate the dimensions of the even earlier .41 Rimfire. The front of the bullet was about 0.406"-0.408"OD, the same as the case. The barrel was about 0.404"-0.406" groove diameter. The bullet lubrication was outside of the case. The base of the bullet was smaller in diameter at 0.386"-0.388"OD to fit inside the case. This is known as a "heel-base" or heeled bullet.

In the mid-1890's, Colt redesigned the cartridge. They reduced the entire diameter of the bullet to 0.386"OD and lengthened the brass case in order to put both the bullet and its lubrication inside the case. The overall length of both loaded cartridges was about the same. The barrel of the revolver was reduced slightly to match the more popular 38-40 at 0.400"-0.401" groove diameter (this was probably done for manufacturing reasons, not accuracy reasons).

A .395 ball might work....
The next size up is .433.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Arcey

What I cast is .365. Ain't listed on the Lee site namore. Dump the things inna sammich bag 'n squirt 'em with Lee Liquid Alox, roll 'em 'round 'n let 'em dry. After that sticky mess dries I run 'em thru a Lee .358 sizin' die.

I ain't that online en-psycho-thingy but as I unnerstan' it the .41 Long Colt, if that's whut he has, has a heck of a spread bore size wise. If the .395 is too small I'd be hatin' ta size down a .433 ta a suitable size.

Oh well. Maybe a specialty vendor.......

Sod Buster

Quote from: Arcey on June 18, 2009, 05:48:00 PM
If the .395 is too small I'd be hatin' ta size down a .433 ta a suitable size.
I was thinkin' the same thing.

Oh well. Maybe a specialty vendor.......
Yup....but that prolly ain't cheap.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

litl rooster

I found 2 vendors stocking a heeled bullet and one with a "lube inside" bullet. It depends also on the lenght of the case, from what info, I have gathered.

Think I'll slug the barrel this weekend
Mathew 5.9

litl rooster

Quote from: Arcey on June 18, 2009, 03:14:07 PM
I meant the right size…. Er, big ‘nuff but not…. I mean……

Awwwwwww hell, cuz…… Heh, heh, heh……..

dang it you made me go back and finish read'n the last page.....guess I should paid tention in skool
Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

Speaking of school

Katie got A/B honor roll and a presidential scholastic achievement award!!

And Sarah got all S's - wahoooooooooooooo

Way to go to the Little Pony racers

happy Fathers day to all fathers out there!!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Tricky Trina

Y'all shoulda known where my mind was gonna go wif dat!!!

Well, I'm goin wid an "S" is a good thing.....congrats!  But what the heck IS an "S?"  What happened to A, B, C, D F and I???

Lordie, things has changed since I went ta skool......  Guess they got rid of the stone and chisels too...........
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

litl rooster

heck what is an "I"    stone and chisel?
Mathew 5.9

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: litl rooster on June 20, 2009, 11:22:34 AM
heck what is an "I"    stone and chisel?

come on Rooster, an"I" is wut ya use to "C" wit, jeez everybody no dat!
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com