VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missouri Marshal

YEEEEEE   HAAAAAA!!!   We're gona make SMOKE on the MATTAPONI.

Talked to Flatboat Bob yesterday and then cleared a few things up today.  The Mattaponi Sundowners(West Point) is gona have an ALL BLACK POWDER MATCH!   Yeeeeee Haaaaa!   This is gona be a fund raising match to help raise money to put a dividing wall on our range from about the 25 yard line to the berm.  This will allow us to run two separate bays independent of each other and allow for down range movement and other fun stuff.  We're still in the plannin stages and we want ta git some feedback from ya'll on what ya think.  Here is what we got so far;

Date: Saturday, 31 May 2008.  This is a fifth Saturday the weekend after Memorial day.  As far as we can determine there are no conflicts with other shoots.  The original date we were looking at in June conflicts with the MD State Championship.

Time:  Shooters meeting at 10:30, start shootin at 11:00.  We decided to start a little later than normal so the folks that have a long drive don't have ta git up as early.  This time of the year daylight won't be a problem.

Place:  West Point Gun Club

Categories:  You can shoot any SASS Category but you must shoot BLACK POWDER or an approved substitute in all firearms.  Since everyone has to shoot BP then the regular Frontier Cartridge Category will be merged with Traditional and  FC Duelist will be Duelist.  Frontiersman will remain as such since that is C&B.

Awards:  We will present an award for all categories and to the Overall Match Winner for both Ladies and Men.  First Place awards will be some type of badge or something like that, Feather will be working on that.  Second and Third Place will receive a certificate.  All awards will be presented at the end of the match as fast as I can get the scores done and print the certificates.  I will be doing the scores during the match so it shouldn't take too long.

Match Fee:  $25.00 per shooter.  This is more than the normal monthly match fee but the main purpose of this match is to raise additional money for the range wall.  That thing is not going to be cheap and anyone that ever shoots at West Point will benefit from it.

Registration:  Pre registration is not required however we are limited to a maximum of 50 shooters.  I don't know what kind of response we will have for this shoot but folks that pre register will have priority and we will take walk in shooters up to our max of 50.  Pre registration consist of emailing me and tellin me yur comin and what category you will be shootin.  Match fees will be paid at the shoot.  Pre registration also helps me with setting up the posses ahead of time and lets us know what categories we have to get awards for.  If nobody pre registers for a category then we will not have a First Place award, other than a certificate,  for that category.

Stages: 6

Rules/Exceptions:  The Mattaponi Sundowners is a SASS Affiliated Posse and all SASS Rules apply with the following exceptions;

Any round over the berm is a Match DQ.

No movement allowed with drawn pistols or a live round in any long gun.  Basket ball rule applies.  A 10 second minor safety will be assessed for each violation.

Black powder or an approved substitute must be used in all guns. (This match only)

So, what do ya'll think? Sound like somethin yur interested in?
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Sod Buster

Quote from: Pony Racer on February 24, 2008, 11:20:59 AM
Sounds like I'll be shooting in fredericksburg in April - since the first part of the month will be Lexington, VA.

PR, I just got an email stating the F'burg club is thinking about changing thier dates to the 2nd Saturday of the month - the same day as the Lexington shoot.  Not my idea...and not a smart one IMHO.

SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Arcey

Lemme talk with my agent 'n have his girl call Bob's.......

Hehehehehehehehehe...................

Let's do it!
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Pony Racer

SB - what are they thinking?

Must not get alot of of shooters coming from the south then I guess.  It is actually closer for me to go to Damascus then F-burg but we shall see.

MM - I'll be your Huckleberry.  I will be there one way or the other - wahoooooooooooooo

BP match!!!

The VA BP Championship - I'm getting the faint smell of sulphur coming over my senses - dang I got to shoot

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

sharps54

Missouri Marshal,
I'm off 31 May so I'll be there!
Mild Myles

Missouri Marshal

This ain't a VA State Championship but it's a start.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132

Lucky Irish Tom

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MM that's great news, you can count me and tell me where to send my $25 Confederate.

That's far enough after my surgery I shouldn't be to stove up, and I'm not on-call that weekend, so the Sooty Irishman will be in attendance.
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Pony Racer

MM - I know but it is the only VA BP only match.

Guess I got a little carried away

Can you imagine that?

Quiet, shy and low key me?!!:)

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Tricky Trina

YEEEEEE HAAAAAAW!
Guess that's another day I'll have to see if I can get it off - I am scheduled to work that weekend, but MM told me I HAD to be there.  Like there wuz a question...............   ;D
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Wildcat Will

Let me see.....hmmmmm.....do I want to shoot an all BP match on the Mattiponi?   ???

Of Course!!!!  Yeeeee  Haaaaaa

Let me see what category should I shoot.......hmmmmmm   ???

Gunfighter of course
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Sod Buster

Quote from: Missouri Marshal on February 24, 2008, 02:53:38 PM
YEEEEEE   HAAAAAA!!!   We're gona make SMOKE on the MATTAPONI.

Flatboat also spoke to me to about this.  The date seems good to me.  I don't think it will conflict with anything.

I will be there!

I have emailed both Frio Canyon Ranger (per Flatboat's request) and also emailed his brother, the Baltimore Kid to see if he would be interested.

YEEEEEE   HAAAAAA!!! 

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: Pony Racer on February 24, 2008, 04:47:31 PM
MM - I know but it is the only VA BP only match.

Guess I got a little carried away

Can you imagine that?

Quiet, shy and low key me?!!:)

PR

You......carried away.......NEVER!  Can't even imagine that. ;D  I jus didn't want someone thinkin it wuz.  Who know's we'll see how this one turns out and maybe next year.........We'll git us our own state championship, jus got ta have the right place ta do it and maybe this will give us a little practice on how ta do it.

Sod Buster

Quote from: Missouri Marshal on February 24, 2008, 05:53:42 PM
...and maybe next year.........We'll git us our own state championship, jus got ta have the right place ta do it and maybe ...

There has been some chatter on the SASS Wire that the WB has decreed that there will not be any Blackpowder 'Championships'.  They must be called "Shootouts".  They do not want anyone called a "Champion".  For example "The SASS Virginia Black Powder Shootout"

By contract, any level of "Shootout" be it State or Territorial (regional) can NOT, repeat NOT name an overall men's and ladies winner, whether titled "champion" or not ... in other words, a shooter winning his/her category within his/her corresponding State "Shootout" is named ONLY as the "category winner" and NOT a "Champion." To be named as a State BP "Champion," a shooter must win a BP category at the State-level SASS Championship match.

Category winners of the "Shootout Series" receive only pins stating they are a "Black Powder Shootout Winner." And to further "Rodney Dangerfield-ize" the issue, some states have given these pins to ALL participants at the State-level Shootout regardless of their finish. 

Further, some matches have elected to "lump" all BP categories together, resulting in a Frontiersman or FCD competing against an FC "traditional" shooter.

If some enterprising souls would/should put some thought into it, it's quite possible that the WB would entertain a form of State/Territorial/National/World-level competition ladder just for us shooters of the one true powder. But we'd probably have to forego the ability to win a "Championship" at the State-level matches as they're currently configured.

Here is the thread:
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=91349

litl rooster

Quote from: Wildcat Will on February 24, 2008, 05:20:30 PM
Let me see.....hmmmmm.....do I want to shoot an all BP match on the Mattiponi?   ???

Of Course!!!!  Yeeeee  Haaaaaa

Let me see what category should I shoot.......hmmmmmm   ???

Gunfighter of course

2 fer the class

Yeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaa
Mathew 5.9

Pony Racer

In Louisiana, they had all categories when they held their BP match.

I think the only difference in BP tradional and Frontier Cartridge, was the traditional shooters could still shoot their pump guns - at least three stoked their 97's with BP loads - one with BP and brass.

What a magnificent sounds that was - the brass clanging with the reciever and the boom and fire -whew - makes me weak in the knees - just remembering!!:)

The Free State Match at Damascus was a big success last year.   I think MM is right - we just have to find the right spot.  The Free State Match had I think had 60+ - that would make things too tight both at West Point and Wakefield.

I think this will be great - Think Doc Cavity will shoot smokey??!!:)
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

litl rooster

Quote from: Pony Racer on February 24, 2008, 06:40:57 PM
I think this will be great - Think Doc Cavity will shoot smokey??!!:)

Really fast if he does ;D
Mathew 5.9

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: Sod Buster on February 24, 2008, 06:18:09 PM
There has been some chatter on the SASS Wire that the WB has decreed that there will not be any Blackpowder 'Championships'.  They must be called "Shootouts".  They do not want anyone called a "Champion".  For example "The SASS Virginia Black Powder Shootout"

By contract, any level of "Shootout" be it State or Territorial (regional) can NOT, repeat NOT name an overall men's and ladies winner, whether titled "champion" or not ... in other words, a shooter winning his/her category within his/her corresponding State "Shootout" is named ONLY as the "category winner" and NOT a "Champion." To be named as a State BP "Champion," a shooter must win a BP category at the State-level SASS Championship match.

Category winners of the "Shootout Series" receive only pins stating they are a "Black Powder Shootout Winner." And to further "Rodney Dangerfield-ize" the issue, some states have given these pins to ALL participants at the State-level Shootout regardless of their finish. 

Further, some matches have elected to "lump" all BP categories together, resulting in a Frontiersman or FCD competing against an FC "traditional" shooter.

If some enterprising souls would/should put some thought into it, it's quite possible that the WB would entertain a form of State/Territorial/National/World-level competition ladder just for us shooters of the one true powder. But we'd probably have to forego the ability to win a "Championship" at the State-level matches as they're currently configured.

Here is the thread:
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=91349

Personally I don't care if it's called a championship or shoot out.  Long as I git ta make SMOKE!  I won the SASS VA State Frontier Cartridge Duelist Championship last year and although I am proud of it I doubt if anyone else remembers it so what does it matter what it is called.  Am I any less of a winner if it was called the SASS VA State BP Shootout Winner?  No,  would the win mean less to me? No.  Actually, if ya think about it, it might not be that bad of a thing.  This will keep the smokeless shooters that only shot BP once a year from being the "BP Champion"  If being the SASS FC State Champion is someone's goal they can still do it at the regular State shoot and only have to compete against folks that shoot FC most of the time.

As far as some shoots lumping all BP categories into one.....Well they can't do that at state shoots and above.  All SASS Sponsored state level and above shoots MUST recognize ALL SASS Categories.

Sod Buster

There were 60 registered shooters for last year's MARYLAND STATE BLACK POWDER CHAMPIONSHIP.  Only 55 showed up.
I don't recall how many they hoped to get but they didn't fill up.  This year they are cutting off registration at 120.

Sod Buster

Quote from: Missouri Marshal on February 24, 2008, 06:52:45 PM
Personally I don't care if it's called a championship or shoot out.  Long as I git ta make SMOKE!

Exactly the attitude we all should have!  I'm with ya. 

Lucky Irish Tom

If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com