VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

litl rooster

Quote from: sharps54 on February 10, 2008, 04:18:13 PM
SB,
No worries, I should be loading my own by the annual shoot, these will be to get me buy until I have the $ from my tax return to buy $300+ in brass 10 gauge shells!

You getting gold or brass ?
Mathew 5.9

sharps54

LR,
Rocky Mountain Cartridge quoted me $65.00 for 10 shells. I figure I need at least 50-60 shells to be safe (probably more figuring some will get stepped on) so theres $325 to $390 not counting shipping. Thier shot shell reloading kit is another $65 so I figure I'll ending up dropping $500  :o to get shooting! That is just for the local matches, a large match might use more but I figure I'll add another 10 shells a month until I get a silly number of them.  ;)

I am open to suggestions of other suppliers of 10 gauge brass shells, I haven't been able to find any. Of course I could buy a 12 gauge and all the fixins for about the same as the 10 gauge reloading setup, but then what would I do with the 10 gauge?

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: sharps54 on February 11, 2008, 04:23:15 AM
LR,
Rocky Mountain Cartridge quoted me $65.00 for 10 shells. I figure I need at least 50-60 shells to be safe (probably more figuring some will get stepped on) so theres $325 to $390 not counting shipping. Thier shot shell reloading kit is another $65 so I figure I'll ending up dropping $500  :o to get shooting! That is just for the local matches, a large match might use more but I figure I'll add another 10 shells a month until I get a silly number of them.  ;)

I am open to suggestions of other suppliers of 10 gauge brass shells, I haven't been able to find any. Of course I could buy a 12 gauge and all the fixins for about the same as the 10 gauge reloading setup, but then what would I do with the 10 gauge?

You can always use plastic 10ga shells fer most of yur shootin.   Thye got ta be cheaper than brass ones and a heck of alot easier to reload.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

litl rooster

Mathew 5.9

Arcey

Good ta see ya again, Myles.

Ya know, do what ya want but I'd think hard on MM's werds. That's a lot of money for style points.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Wildcat Will

Jeemanee   Miles!!!! :o  I thought $45 for 25 12ga was a bit much.  I do like the style points but there sure does come a point where it just may not be worth it. 

Course ifn ya kin aford it, I say go fur it!    ;D
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Pony Racer

Pard I love my 12 guage style points but I got my shells over a a2 year period and still shot some paper and plastic BP shells as I slowly got my herd of brass shells.

Once you get them and have the little hand kit - it is easier and cheaper going with brass.  But again I bought my brass over a 2 year period - about 50 shells at a time.

I know a pard who shoots 10 guage federal hulls and they hold up nice.  His trick - still use the fiber wads, so the inside of the barrels stay nice and slick instead of getting the plastic wad stuff all on the inside of them barrels.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

sharps54

I appreciate all the thoughts on using plastic shells. Right now I don't have anywhere to set up a reloading press and won't until we buy a house. I'm currently using a Lyman 310 and Lee handpress for my cartridge needs. I guess I can always get a Mec JR, mount it on a hunk of plywood and C-clamp it to the kitchen table. We'll see. right now I'm just leaning toward picking up a cheap 12 gauge and putting the 10 gauge on the back burner.

I don't know if I'll shoot Saturday but I plan on coming to the match at KC's Corral to watch/help out. I hope to see some of you there.

Tricky Trina

Miles it's good yur still around - I wus startin to wunder 'bout ya!  It's a shame life gets in tha way of shootin', but good ta see yur back!  Ya know, if'n ya ask a pard to reload fer ya (you furnish the hulls, powder, wads, shot and anything else I can't recall at this time) someone would probably load it up fer ya. 

I'd stay away from Wildcat - he don't put no powder in his loads ( :o)  - only kiddin Cuz!! 

MM and I shoot plastic wads and we don't have no problems cleanin' plastic out of the tubes........  ain't that whut moose milk and the Chronicle are fer?  We've even waited until the next day and still had no problems.  Ballistol is a real GOOD thing........

Go with whut you can afford fer now - you'll still have more fun than those who shoot that heathen powder! 

All hail the Holy Black.....

Smoke!

Fire!

Boom!

Stink!

Can I git an "Amen" from my Fire and Brimstone fambily?
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Sod Buster

SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Wildcat Will

Miles ifn reloader space is an issue, there is a place called Hammer Double where you can git a tool to pop out the primer and then reseat the fresh one.  Then all I do is use a BP charge tube from the muzzle loader and a 7/8 in (I think it is 7/8 in) dowel with a wooden ball on the end to compress the BP and the wads and shot.  Now I admit I am using brass hulls but I would think you could come up wit a way to crimp them plastic hull.  (Ya really augta shift over to brass).   ;D

It will take me about 30 mins. to load 25.  Most of the time is spent cleaning the inside of the hull near the top with alcohol so as the glue I use to hold the over shot card will stick. 

However ya do it, just remember it is all about the smoke, fire and BOOOOM.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

sharps54

Quote from: Wildcat Will on February 14, 2008, 12:20:42 AM
SNIP
  (Ya really augta shift over to brass).   ;D
SNIP

Yep, that's the problem the 10 gauge brass is expensive!! I appreciate the info though. I didn't know about Hammer Double, now I won't be afraid to pick up a pinfire shotgun if I find one!   :D  I'm just gonna pick up a cheap 12 gauge with my part of the tax return, shoot cheapo smokeless shotgun shells  :o and I'll slowly buy 10 gauge brass until I have enough.  ;) I will just buy enough BP 12 gauge shells to get me through Thunder in the Brush so I can shoot it frontiersman.

Is there a match at West Point on Sunday the 16th next month? If so I can definately make it and should be shooting blackpowder except for the scattergun. Like I say I'll stop by the match at KC's Corral on this Saturday but I won't be shooting, I need to go over to the pistol range and work a bit more with my C&B revolvers before I enter a match with 'em.

Pony Racer

Pard, i'll loan you some shells when we shoot.

MM & TT you are right balistol will get that plastic wad stuff right out, and if it don't break cleaner sure will!! ;D

I usually keep 150 to 200 loads ready at all times

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Pony Racer

Please tell me with all this quietness for two days - that ya'll been shooting...

This ian't no library

BOOOMMMMMMMMMMM........... oh yes can almost smell that terrific blend of BP, lube and balistol.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM...............GOOD!!!

Yes I got it bad...real bad

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Lucky Irish Tom

Aint been shooting, but I have been surfing the Web looking at purveyors of Brass Shotshells! ;D

Things that make you go BOOM!
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Missouri Marshal

Been shootin, Black Creek on Saturday and West Point on Sunday.  Makin SMOKE, BOOOOOOM and havin a YEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAA good time.  Where were you PR?
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Pony Racer

My little pard Jacob, was getting baptized.

It was a great day!!!

Hope to shoot with ya'll in a couple weeks.

Might get to shoot next week but not sure yet - I am in Norfolk for a meeting until late on Thurs - trying to get friday off and then shoot saturday, but with today off not sure I can swing it.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Pony Racer

Wahooooooooooooooo - well no competition shooting for me this weekend.

But - I will go out to parents farm and try out some new loads I have conceived in my little reloading room or contraptions and weird metric calibers.

Got a redone 11mm french round - so I won't have loose balls:)!!

A redone smokey 32 sw long round - BP triala for my Nagants.

I also want to work on my Mauser red nine - where it is shooting and an old berthier carbine.

I hope to see many of you at Pungo in March and then the two day after easter.

Fire, smoke, boom and the bestest odiferous stink in the world - mmmmmmmmmm good - I love the smell of BP in the morning - smells like victory.

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Wildcat Will

Looks like this member of the Va F & B posse is having to cancel his trip to The Raid on Andersonville.   :'(   Family issues.

However, it does look like I will be rolling into West Point this Sat ta make some fire and smoke and BOOOOM   Yeeeee Haaaaa
;D          ;D             ;D            ;D               ;D                ;D              ;D               ;D              ;D               ;D                   ;D

Sharps ifna ya thar I kin let ya try some of my wimpy shotgun loads.   ::)

Tricky Trina

Dang it!  I hate to see ya ain't going to ROA   :'(  .... we'd a hada blast!  I guess MM and I will havta make nuff smoke so's ya can see it on the horizon.  I hope the family issue resolves itself fer ya.

Yeah, go 'head..... try them thar wimp loads   ::)

Double dog dare ya......   8)
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com