VA FIRE and BRIMSTONE POSSE

Started by Pony Racer, August 22, 2007, 04:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcey

Quote from: Tricky Trina on January 24, 2008, 06:51:28 PM
Arcey - I get all the "essence" I can handle with MM.......   

I get inta some them pickled eggs Sis makes it Roundup I ain't gonna be able ta help it...........
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Sod Buster

Quote from: Wildcat Will on January 25, 2008, 02:44:36 PM
Looks like I will not make it to West Point tomorrow.  My brother called and I have to pick in up at the Norfolk airport at 1pm.

I'm planning to go.  Sorry you won't be there.  :'(
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Pony Racer

My father gave me two IJ pocket pistols today, one nickle and one blued.

They are hammerless with a trigger set-up like a modern glock and are both 32 s&w.

They look very shootable (bores look good and cylinder chambers look good) but need some work to operate correctly.

They are in the 40000 number range - one is 42xxx, and another 47xxx.

Anyone know if these are modern powder capable or bp only??

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Arcey

Awwwwww, Pony Racer. My friend, mi amigo, my pard, as a member of the military, my guardian (no kiddin', I appreciate that), my brother in arms, one of my favorite people in the whole wide world.

Would ya tell me sumthin'?

JUST WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MATTER? WHY WOULD YA WANNA SHOOT ANYTHING BUT BLACK POWDER ANYWAY?

I'm ok, I'm calm now. Everythings lovely.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: Pony Racer on January 27, 2008, 11:58:35 AM
My father gave me two IJ pocket pistols today, one nickle and one blued.

They are hammerless with a trigger set-up like a modern glock and are both 32 s&w.

They look very shootable (bores look good and cylinder chambers look good) but need some work to operate correctly.

They are in the 40000 number range - one is 42xxx, and another 47xxx.

Anyone know if these are modern powder capable or bp only??

PR

PR, here is some info I copied from a web site awhile back.  Maybe it will help ya out.;

Iver Johnson Revolvers

Iver Johnson is often overlooked by collectors as a significant American arms manufacturer. From 1871 throughout the 20th century they have produced many revolvers with a great number of them in the top-break 32 S&W and 38 S&W calibers. An excellent book is available to guide collectors to the sometimes confusing variations – Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Works Handguns 1871-1978 by W.E. Goforth. Iver Johnson model terminology can be a bit confusing, in that most of their top-break revolvers are known as Safety Automatics, referring to their "Hammer the Hammer" transfer bar safety system and to the automatic ejection of cartridges upon opening these revolvers. For simplicity sake here, we will refer to the models as either "Iver Johnson Hammer" or "Iver Johnson Hammerless" models, although the correct model name according to Goforth would be more like " Small (or Large) Frame Safety Automatic Hammer (or Hammerless) Model."

In the standard Safety Automatic revolvers with the traditional exposed hammer, the First Model was made from 1894 through 1895 and is identified by it's single post latch system. The Second Model was made from 1896 to 1908, and the Third Model was made from 1909 to 1941. Both Second and Third Models have the double post latch system. Quick visual clues that identify a Third Model include a longer rear sight on top of the latch and the owl head on the grips is looking directly at you , rather than towards the muzzle end of the barrel as was the case on the Second Model. The Third Model changes were intended to accommodate the higher pressure of smokeless powder loads.

In the Hammerless Iver Johnsons Safety Automatic Models, the First Model was made from 1895 to 1896 and can be quickly identified by the single post frame latch. The Second Model was made from 1897 to 1908, and there is a safety lever added onto the face of the trigger ( not unlike modern day Glocks). The Third Model was designed for smokeless powder and was made from 1909 to 1941. It is also known as "the New Model" and can be quickly identified by the lack of a safety lever on the face of the trigger.

NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Pony Racer

Sorry Arcey momentary sign of weakness - well not really just wanted to know what model I had ;D

They are both second models since they both have the safety trigger within the trigger.  Tks MM.

My dad thinks that his uncle and dad may have just undone the firing mechanism and or spring - cause he remembers as a boy using the nickle one for playing cowboy and indians after his daddy made sure it was safe.

LCR is going to look at them next week.

If'n I can get'em shooting again - I'll finally have me a pocket pistol!!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Wildcat Will

PR the value of knowing if them pistol can handle the heathen power is to determine if a double compressed BP load if possible.

:o    :o    :o                ::)    ::)     ::)
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Tricky Trina

We found out that I've been shooting the wrong powder out of my pocket pistols - guess I've been lucky!  We'll rectify that, I'm sure.......

Just not with "double compressed BP loads!"   8)
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Missouri Marshal

Quote from: Tricky Trina on January 28, 2008, 07:32:00 PM
We found out that I've been shooting the wrong powder out of my pocket pistols - guess I've been lucky!  We'll rectify that, I'm sure.......

Just not with "double compressed BP loads!"   8)

Yur smokeless loads are fine, I fart with higher presures than they make. ;D
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Pony Racer

Turns out, me and LCR forgot about my 1849 pocket pistol with converter.

it has been sitting in the workshop safe for a few months.  Dang I could now have a brood of pocket pistols.

It must be me clean living ;D ;) :o
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy

Tricky Trina

"clean living" from a Dark Sider = oxymoron

No Arcey, I did NOT call him a moron....   ;D
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Arcey

Heck, cuz.........

Not ta werry. I can't spell 'moron'.

litl rooster

PR  The Firearm Forum also has a section on these guns..  I can send you a link when I get home
Mathew 5.9

Wildcat Will

YEEEEEEE   HAAAAAAAAAA    :-[

Sorry that one just slipped out.   ;D ::)
Smoke makin', fire belching gunfighter of the VA Fire and Brimestone Posse    Blackpowder or No powder!

Courage is being scare as heck and still getting in the saddle.

Arcey

Run-up shoot Saturday. A l'il practice 'n R&D don't ya know.

Got's me a whole passel ah Heap Bad Medicines (again) ta throw downrange on a laser beam of fire, brimstone, smoke, BOOM (always, BOOM, all caps) 'n the incredible stink!

If I could just figger out what I'm gonna want fer a snack..............

Dr. Bob

Arcey,

How 'bout some Kimchi! :o  It has some bite, smell and will make you go BOOM later! ::) ;D  Sorry, just couldn't hold that in!  :-[ ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Arcey

Thankee, Doc, but no, you eat it. Somewhere away from me if ya will. Far away.

After the brief mention of seafood in Coosie's Corner in the New Year thread 'n with the weather lookin' kindah warm, kindah leanin' towards tuna liberally laced with Texas Pete 'n sum hardtack.

litl rooster

Quote from: Arcey on January 30, 2008, 05:42:35 PM
Thankee, Doc, but no, you eat it. Somewhere away from me if ya will. Far away.

After the brief mention of seafood in Coosie's Corner in the New Year thread 'n with the weather lookin' kindah warm, kindah leanin' towards tuna liberally laced with Texas Pete 'n sum hardtack.

Texas Pete?  Try Jalisco's Verde that's bring the "stinky" out
Mathew 5.9

Arcey

Quote from: litl rooster on January 30, 2008, 06:30:32 PM
Texas Pete?  Try Jalisco's Verde that's bring the "stinky" out

Have that with yer kimchi, do ya, Rooster?

litl rooster

Quote from: Arcey on January 30, 2008, 07:00:59 PM
Have that with yer kimchi, do ya, Rooster?

Fer xtri flavor ;D

p.s....... I think Dr. Bob is thinking of moving to the Old Dominion ;D
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com