NCOWS legal 'buffalo guns ?'

Started by Marshal Deadwood, August 19, 2007, 10:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gw

FCK---I disticntly remember buying an old-time wiping rod at Friendship In.  to use at the first buffalo shoot I attended at Ackley in '00 or '01 Nat. Shoot. Still have it. I also was going to make a set of Hickory cross sticks to use but didn't get them finished. They did ask for those items to be PC, I may still have the buffalo shoot rules from then, have to look. The fact is, the rules were clearly stated, they were just not clearly enforced. I eneded up using their sticks.

MD---The Hi Wall has been allowed in every Long Range shoot I've ever attended in NCOWS, and has won that category once or twice!
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on August 23, 2007, 10:05:31 AM
Folks, have we not learned that if the rules do not spell out EXACTLY what is allowed and what is disallowed AND that they be ENFORCED that the "gamer' virus will be endemic?  ;)
Like using boolits that hold enough lube to keep the fouling soft.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Delmonico

Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on August 23, 2007, 10:43:40 AM
Like using boolits that hold enough lube to keep the fouling soft.  ;)

Slim

Or Crisco in the lube. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

RattlesnakeJack

This may help you document the eligibility of the Model 1885 Winchester which, as already pointed out, is simply Browning's Model 1878, renamed (matter of fact, when Browning first re-marketed the design ... in the 1960's or so ... they called it the Model 78 - I had one in .45-70 (and wish to heck I had never let it go!)

The original drawings from John M. Browning's 1879 Patent for his Model 1878 action design ...

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

French Jack

FCK--- I hear tell that the 'Gamer Virus' has gotten so widespread that all the .40 caliber shooters are going to 605 gr. bullets, cast from heat treated wheelweights,  with some new fangled lube like SPG to topple those 'leetle bufflers'-----  'ding'  ding ding ding ding dang....
French Jack

James Hunt

FCK you said: "cross sticks held together with modern fasteners, e.g., wing nuts. "

Perhaps this deserves its own thread - but is there a lack of any reference for wing nuts? You imply they were not used - I have no idea. Mayer in The Buffalo Harvest states "The sticks were a simple device,...., bolted together so as to provide a crotch..." Another reference uses a piece of buckskin whang to hold them together - to be safe that is what I use. How many simply held them together. Interesting. There is a reference for a bolt, just wondering about the wing nut, question is two fold. a/ were they available and b/ is there a reference of them being used in the buffalo fields (ah, ah, no conjecture here - just references if available). Don't want to start a big to do, simply wondered if anybody had a quick answer.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Delmonico

A quick check of my handy dictionary says Wing Nut became a common usage word in the American form of the English language around 1900.  When it was invented would likely been a bit earlier and it might have been called something else too.  A good research project for someone who needs one, got a few others right now that are more important to me.  Hmm, wonder if everyone eats PC at lunch. ;)  Anybody know?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

French Jack

Got sorta tired of bully or embalmed beef/pork and peas pickled in vinegar......  think I'll get a PC pizza.  :P  ;D  :)
French Jack

Delmonico

Quote from: French Jack on August 23, 2007, 06:36:22 PM
Got sorta tired of bully or embalmed beef/pork and peas pickled in vinegar......  think I'll get a PC pizza.  :P  ;D  :)

To quote Ranger Doug, "That would be the easy way, but it would not be the Cowboy Way." ;)  Same should hold true fer buffalo hunters. ;D

BTW Gopher Grease and I did a PC pizza a couple times in dutch ovens, very good but you need someone who can pull off the Italian Immagrent part like he can to do it right. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on August 23, 2007, 10:05:31 AM
Wrong. Many use Delrin rods and "high tech" wooden cross sticks held together with modern fasteners, e.g., wing nuts.

FCK, wingnuts are 19th century.

Observe use of a wingnut on this 1870 patent.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Thanks John, I figued they were there, just ain't searched for them.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Kayleen

Now I am not sure just how many of you have attended the Great Buffalo Hunt of years gone by, but some of the first hunts were much more fun than they are today. The first year I shot in the buffalo hunt(8 years ago), I didn't know what a blow tube was, didn't know what the windage was and certainly didn't know what the humidity was.(It was humid a couple times during the National shoot,& hot enough to make frogs sweat) I went to shoot buffalo and that is what I did.
I rather doubt that buffalo hunters of the past even thought about the humidity or windge.
It is unfortunate that the train that goes through Prairie Fire couldn't be used for a hunt.
Sometimes going back to the way things started out would be just fine with me, especially when it comes to the buffalo hunts that we had.
Kayleen

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Mr Hunt – Did a quick search of the library and all I could find at this point regarding 'thumb nuts' is from page 161 in the Vajen & New Hardware Catalog (printed 13 May, 1884 – Indianapolis, Indiana).

It's not much but hope it helps.

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Marshal Deadwood

There is a virtiual pandemic of 'lugnuts' however...

Marshal Deadwood

Dr. Bob

Marshal D.,

I see you are playing the roll of "Obvious Man" tonight! ;D ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Marshal Deadwood

Doc,,as with many situations, its not the ones you have that you have to be concerned with,,,,but the ones you no longer see....

MD

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

Mr Hunt –

Here is a little more info on 'thumb nuts' history. I decided to put the following reference on this thread as it confirms the use of 'thumb nuts' referred to as 'thumb nuts' as early as 1794.

I decided not to reference sources for this type of attachment not employed specifically in conjunction with threaded bolts. So I have omitted a couple of thumb nut references from an English tool makers catalog circa 1845 and Volumes I & II of the famous Diderot Encyclopedias of Trades and Industry 1751 and 1752 respectively.

What follows is taken from "A Treatise on Carriages: Comprehending Coaches, Chariots, Phaetons, Curricles, Whiskies &c" by William Felton, Coachmaker (1794). (capital letters added for emphasis):

Chapter 5 Iron Work; Section #8; Bolts, Nuts, and Screws Page 119: "...which nuts are proportioned to the size of the bolts, and are of a square form in general, to be screwed by a wrench; SOME ARE MADE FOR TEMPORARY PURPOSES, TO BE SCREWED ON WITH THE FINGER AND THUMB, AND ARE CALLED THUMB-NUTS..."

Chapter 5 Iron Work; Section #8; Bolts, Nuts, and Screws, subset 'O': Page 121: "...by contracting the brace in the middle BY MEANS OF A THUMB-NUT SCREWED AT THE BOTTOM..."

Illustration 'O' from Plate XI on page 129 showing thumb nut screwed onto a 'T' bolt, the bolt is pointing down and thumb nut affixed at the bottom of the image:

YMH&OS,

Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Fox Creek Kid

I searched Google & accidentally typed in "numb nuts" and it linked me to Ted Kennedy.  :o ;D :D ;)

Marshal Deadwood

Dr. Bob

I have a mid 18th Century scientific instrument that use "thumb nuts."  It is a Georgian reflecting telescope that uses them to attach the telescope to the stand.  It is ca. 1750 and of a more or less standard pattern.  But, I don't have any documentation of them on buffalo crossed sticks. :(
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com