There's a reason why the 45 Colt was not offered in rifles. .

Started by Dick Dastardly, August 15, 2007, 06:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin UK

There's a reason why the 45 Colt was not offered in rifles. .

;D Myth Busted!! ;D
Paladin (What lurvs his .45  ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Steel Horse Bailey

The key word is "was."

Past tense.

I like my 2 different 45 Colt rifles, too.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

w44wcf

Quote from: Dick Dastardly on July 18, 2008, 08:19:24 PM
.......I'm claiming that my Browning 92 44 Magnums can out shoot your 45 Long Colt 92 rifles in a head to head shoot off.  Now, all that said and a slap with the black leather glove in the face of the 45 Long Colt shooter, how do we get us in front of some targets and learn which is better??

DD-DLoS

Howdy DD,
I'll be your Huckelberry! ;)   Now, to be fair, I don't have a .45 Colt '92, but I do have a Marlin Cowboy .45 Colt. Will that suffice?
If'n that is ok, what would you like the challange to be?
I'm planning on shooting the 30 shot Doc Pardee challange with both my .45 Colt and .44-40 in the near future. Will that do?
http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5036.0

Jest so's you know..... my .45 Colt likes long range as well  ;D.....
6 shots in 3 1/2" X 6" @ 300 meters ;D

Please let me know......
w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

john boy

John - them steel at Ridgeway will never be the same with all them big splashes for lever guns!  ;D  Great shooting, Pardner!
Next trip, gonna have to try the 800yd pallet  ;)
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Dick Dastardly

Yer on w44wcf.

Now, we gotta get to a match half way between us where we can shoot a long range side match.  You're in PA and I'm WI.  Any suggestions?

The match would be shot after 50 rounds were fired for 'fouling' and guns not cleaned.  I often shoot long range 'pistol' side matches that way after a monthly SASS match.

Barrel length should be close to the same.  Sights ought to be same as SASS main match.  Ammo loaded with Holy Black, no subs/replicas/heathen fad smokeyless/fillers/cookies/wads or Accoutrements.  Just primer, powder and bullet.

It won't prove much, but it will be fun.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

w44wcf

Howdy DD,

Thank you for the .44 Mag b.p. vs. .45 Colt b.p. rifle challenge ;D.   Yep! b.p. it is, NO SUBS!  Should be interesting!  Problem is that we are about 700 hundred miles apart ...so perhaps a postal match would be the best solution  ??? ....with witnesses of course.   Otherwise,  perhaps you and your better half would like to look at the spectacular fall folage in the Allegheny National Forest in PA this year(?). The wonderful Ridgway Rifle range is located therein.

If that might be the case, perhaps we could get John Boy to join us ....to officiate  ;D.   

May I suggest this venue:
1.) 10 shot group @ 100 yards (1 magazine full)
2.) then fire 10 more shots for a 20 shot group @ 100 yards (2 magazines full)
3.) then fire 10 more shots for a 30 shot group @ 100 yards (3 magazines full)
4.) then fire 20 more shots at random- steel targets, etc. to reach your 50 shot mark.
5.) then another 10 shot group @ 100 yards
6.) then a 10 shot group @ 200 yards
7.) then a 10 ahot group @ 300 yards 

Sounds like a plan! The fellowship would be great! ;D

w44wcf   
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

Dick Dastardly

That scenario gets the job done and it gives a good track record.  On the travel thing, the North Bristol Sportsmans Club is just opening up a new rifle range this fall.  It's Ten minutes from my ranch.

I think we should do the match by mail.

I'll keep you informed.

DD-DLoS

P.S.  It'll also give me a second chance to shoot some of those Winchester (Big Lube) bullets that you cast for me from that 'antique' bullet mold.
Gunfighter Ordinar

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteMay I suggest this venue:
1.) 10 shot group @ 100 yards (1 magazine full)
2.) then fire 10 more shots for a 20 shot group @ 100 yards (2 magazines full)
3.) then fire 10 more shots for a 30 shot group @ 100 yards (3 magazines full)
4.) then fire 20 more shots at random- steel targets, etc. to reach your 50 shot mark.
5.) then another 10 shot group @ 100 yards
6.) then a 10 shot group @ 200 yards
7.) then a 10 ahot group @ 300 yards 

8.  100 Indians firing arrows simultaneously at you from 20 yds. while you try to lever the rifle from a standing position.  ;D :D ;)

Dick Dastardly

Hey Kid,

I like #8.  You shoot, I'll serve 'em whiskey.

DD-DLoS
Gunfighter Ordinar

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on July 23, 2008, 11:50:11 AM
8.  100 Indians firing arrows simultaneously at you from 20 yds. while you try to lever the rifle from a standing position.  ;D :D ;)

Seems a TAD unfair ...  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Dr. Bob

That's the Fox Creek Kid fer ya! :o ;D ::) ;D  Dang, I like his style!! ;D ;) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Delmonico

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on July 23, 2008, 11:50:11 AM

Would that be with or with out modern shooting glasses?;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Steel Horse Bailey

Cuts Crooked

Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Dr. Bob

Quote from: Delmonico on July 24, 2008, 05:00:22 PM
Would that be with or with out modern shooting glasses?;D

Like, it would make a difference? :o ::) ::) ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Delmonico

Quote from: Dr. Bob on July 24, 2008, 06:57:54 PM
Like, it would make a difference? :o ::) ::) ::) ;D

It would, I have an Organ and Tissue Donar thing on my Drivers License, if I work good shooting glasses I could help a blind person to see again. :)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

w44wcf

DD,

NEAT that you have a new range opening up close to you!  I am fortunate that the local club I belong to is only about 10 minutes away.  I can shoot out to 200 yards there.  Regarding sights, my .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy no longer has a rear open sight.  It has worn a tang sight for the past several years .......mucho better for my aging eyes.

Glad to hear that you're going to give the Winchester Big Lube bullets another go.  I think I have the owner of the mold talked into letting me fix the rear driving band......perhaps by the end of the year.

8. 100 indians....YIKES  :o No pinpoint accuracy required there, just get as much lead in the air as possible!!   Shades of the Fetterman massacre!   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cloud's_War    page down to "Attacks on the wood train".

w44wcf
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com