Does Anyone Use a Crimp Die When Reloading 56-50 Cartridges?

Started by Two Flints, August 10, 2007, 06:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Flints

Hello SSS,

Do any SSS reloaders use a crimp die when loading bullets into 56-50 Starline brass? The crimp die seems to be a special order die from either Lee or Lyman.  Any preference?  Thanks for your replies!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Appalachian Ed

"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Hell-Er High Water

I seat and crimp at the same time in the same die (Lyman).

HHW

mtmarfield

Greetings!

Just enough to remove the flare & roll it in a tad.

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield:.
             8-10-07

Arizona Trooper

I'm with Mr. Marfield. I seat and crimp in two steps using a homemade seat/crimp die.

matt45

Howdy all
     The seater die on the Lyman set also contains the crimp- one has to seat a little further with the base of the die (the big part).  Herein lies the problem- the first manufacture run wouldn't seat far enough.  I crimp my rounds- mostly just habit, I reckon.  Tuolumne Lawman's input would be worthwhile, as he has really put some hot loads down range ;)
                                                                               Matt45

French Jack

I shortened the bullet seating die in the Lyman set so that it crimps very well.  It very likely was machined to function properly with a 50/70 case length, originally.  No problems with loose bullets.  I size my bullets to .515, or use as cast, depending on the bullet.  The only reason to use a sizing die is to clean the excess lube from the bullets, as I pan lube.
French Jack

matt45

Hello the camp,
     It has been brought to my attention that my response lacks clarity ;)  I'm a little ways away from my reloading bench, but as I remember the instructions: if one wants to crimp, then extend the ram on the press all the way to the top, screw the base of the seating die down until it touches the shell holder, lower the ram, and then go 1/4 turn further. ::)  Practically, what I do is take a slightly belled case, and lower the seating die until the case is crimped to the approximate desired state.  I fine tune the crimp when I start seating bullets.  Needless to say, it is way more an art than science, and a lot of expermentation is called for.  It sounds a lot more complicated than it is :D
                                                                                         matt45

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com