Smoke Wagon

Started by Deadeye Don, August 07, 2007, 11:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye Don

Do you think the Taylor Smoke Wagon  revolver is legal for NCOWS?  How about the Deluxe Smoke Wagon?

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfSmokeWagon.tpl
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

French Jack

From the pics in the ad, it would appear that the Smoke Wagon is nothing more than a cross-pin frame Colt SAA clone.  The sights are not as narrow as the older black powder "Pinched Frame", but there is nothing wrong with them.  The grip being a bit slimmer and checkered is not a problem either. 
With what I looked at, there is nothing to prevent it's inclusion in the group of "Colt clones" made by the Italians already accepted.  Remove the marketing "Name", and it's the generic cross pin frame Colt clone.  No problem.
French Jack

Irish Dave

I'm with FJ. Can't see why it wouldn't be OK.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Deadeye Don

Ok opinions from French Jack and Irish Dave are good enough for me!! ;)

Dr. Bob

Gee, I think that I would wait for an opinion from the Judge, which would be Trap.  In his job description!  But, that is just me!

Your mileage may vary.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Deadeye Don

Trap.............are ya out there?

Lone Gunman

QuoteFrom the pics in the ad, it would appear...

Pictures are good, but words are important too.  ;)   Please read with me the words from the linked page:

Quote...with a low-profile hammer, allows for aiming without cocking the pistol so you can acquire sights faster.

The only 'low-profile" hammer I've seen on a SAA is on the Colt Bisley...and this ain't no Colt Bisley!  :P   There are no standard SAA's that allow you to see the sights with the hammer down so I would tend to think this is a re-design that might not 'markedly resemble' a SAA.  The pictures on the website aren't that clear about the hammer, the large picture has the hammer pretty much obscured by the title and I can't really say for sure due to the angle, but assuming this is with the hammer down it sure looks different than any SAA I own:

I would not base my personal opinion on the photos in an ad. This really needs a hands-on examination to see how it compares to the original Colt.  It is for this very purpose that the Authenticity Committee exists. 
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

French Jack

It would appear that there is not much truth in their advertising.  Looking closely at the pics, there is no marked change in profile apparent on the hammer.  The print does not obscure the profile to that extent.  Also, the top view is definitely slanted so you are looking down on the top of the frame, and the hammer is down, with the tip of the hammer spur in view.  It certainly would be in the line of sight if the pistol is viewed on an angle which would present the sights leveled.  The wider sight notch and blade are readily visible, but I can get the identical sight picture on all my pistols, and none expose the sights to view with the hammer down. 

As L.G. states, I would not base a decision with the hype of the ad in mind.  Hands on would give a clear picture.  What I see in those pics does not bear out the claims made in the ad.
French Jack

Deadeye Don

Ok well it would appear there is some difference of opinion here.  I do agree it would be best to have a sample from Taylors placed in the hands of the authenticity committee.  I am not sure how to go about doing this.  I certainly dont want to purchase this from Taylors just to have it turned down by the committe.   This gun looks like it is Taylors verson of the Evil Roy offered by Cimarronl.   Has the Evil Roy past the committee?  

Wild Ben Raymond

Quote from: Lone Gunman on August 08, 2007, 08:00:57 AM
Pictures are good, but words are important too.  ;)   Please read with me the words from the linked page:

The only 'low-profile" hammer I've seen on a SAA is on the Colt Bisley...and this ain't no Colt Bisley!  :P   There are no standard SAA's that allow you to see the sights with the hammer down so I would tend to think this is a re-design that might not 'markedly resemble' a SAA.  The pictures on the website aren't that clear about the hammer, the large picture has the hammer pretty much obscured by the title and I can't really say for sure due to the angle, but assuming this is with the hammer down it sure looks different than any SAA I own:

I would not base my personal opinion on the photos in an ad. This really needs a hands-on examination to see how it compares to the original Colt.  It is for this very purpose that the Authenticity Committee exists. 
Quote;The only 'low-profile" hammer I've seen on a SAA is on the Colt Bisley... Evendently, you forget the original Ruger Vaquaro's which have a low profile hammer (you can see the sights without cocking the hammer) and the OMV is still legal, isn't it? WBR

Irish Dave

WBR:

You're correct about the OMRV's sight arrangement and yes, it's still legal.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Trap

I have seen one picture in an ad, from that I would guess that it MIGHT pass. But a hands on inspection and comparison would be needed by the Congress, as judge I could only guess. As always, If you really want one ,buy it, BUT if it is later decided to be unapproved don't cry foul. If you really want to shoot a gun in NCOWS be sure it is on the approved list.            jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Irish Dave

For those who would like a second photo, go here:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/index.tpl

and look at the profile of the revolver and the hammer. It appears obvious to me that this hammer is not significantly different than any other SAA clone currently on the Approved list -- despite what the ad might say.
NCOWS Marshal Retired
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Frenchie

Quote from: Wild Ben Raymond on August 08, 2007, 09:40:21 AMEvidently, you forget the original Ruger Vaqueros which have a low profile hammer (you can see the sights without cocking the hammer) and the OMV is still legal, isn't it? WBR

But the Ruger is "grandfathered" into the rules because back in the day there was a lack of more authentic revolvers, Rugers were easy to get, and so many shooters had them already. This is a new revolver and must be accepted or rejected according to the rules for new ones. On the other hand, to me the hammer looks like most other SAA hammers and appears to block the shooter's view of the sights when it's down. I see no problem with it.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Deadeye Don

I went ahead and called Taylors.  I was told the Smoke Wagon is a clone of the 2nd Generation Colt.  This may end the discussion.   Here is another angle to look at.  If you notice the hammer seems to be lower than other SAAs where it rests against the frame.  The hammer spur seems to be consistent with a typical SAA.  I am not sure this will help, but it does give another angle to look at.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfSmokeWagon.tpl

The person at Taylors also said that Rowdy Fulcher handled the Smoke Wagon at the NRA convention.  Rowdy are you out there?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com