56-50 Armi Spencer Range Report: It goes "BANG"!

Started by Mossyrock, August 03, 2007, 07:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyrock

In fact, it went bang every time I pulled (or yanked) that oh-so-heavy trigger!  I only had 25 rounds of Ten-X factory smokeless loads, so I spent a few rounds trying to figure out where it shot.  With the ladder in the upright position, it actually shot pretty much to point of aim at 25 yards.  Off of the bench, I was rewarded with this group:

With blackpowder loads tailored to this rifle, I am sure the groups will tighten up.  A better rear sight and a manageable trigger will improve things as well.  Even after working on the main spring and lubing the lock, I still have a trigger pull that weighs somewhere between eight and ten pounds.  I WILL be revisiting the lockwork!

Well, now I have 50 rounds of fired brass on hand and 100 rounds of Starline brass inbound from Track of the Wolf.  After my Widowmaker mold arrives, I'll cast up a pile of boolets and apply everything I know about building BPCR ammo and see if I can get this rifle to group at 50 and 100 yards.  Let the fun begin!!   ;D
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Deadeye Don

Those are all "kill" shots.  Way to go!! I have used my Spencer (56-50) on our range steel targets.  The targets got punished severely!   :D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Mossyrock

Yeah, I'll bet these stubby little thumpers would flat wreak havoc on steel dingers!   :o
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Two Flints

Hello Mossyrock,

Please post in more detail how you adjust the trigger pull so others will know...or any other changes you make to the trigger and mainspring to get an easier trigger pull.

Thanks,

Two Flints  (on the road where ever I can hook up to the Internet >:( >:()

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Mossyrock

Two Flints,

I am adjusting the trigger pull using the methods outlined on this forum.  So far, that just consists of thinning the lower leg of the mainspring using a Dremel sanding drum, then polishing with 600 grit paper to remove any possible stress-causing scores or scratches.  Next time a look at it, I might do a VERY light polish on all contact surfaces and ensure nothing is binding.  The good news is that the Spencer has a very simple lock similar to most muzzleloaders and the Trapdoor Springfield.  Simple is good!  ;D
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Four Sixes

Here is how I lighten the trigger.

I taped the main spring with some aluminium tape and a small piece of metal where the main spring screw is located. It works like a charm and the trigger pull is down to ~8pd.

Here are the pictures. Hope this help.

4-sixes

Drydock

Ya sure about this now?  My .50 goes "BOOM!"  Now I got a .45 that goes "BANG!", but that .50 definatly goes "BOOM!"

I'd hate ta think ya got a bad one there . . .
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Mossyrock

Quote from: Sgt. Drydock on August 08, 2007, 09:03:05 PM
Ya sure about this now?  My .50 goes "BOOM!"  Now I got a .45 that goes "BANG!", but that .50 definatly goes "BOOM!"

I'd hate ta think ya got a bad one there . . .

C'mon......it was SMOKELESS.  It was probably closer to "pop" than "bang".  Now, if it had been proper ammo loaded with REAL gunpowder (You know, that stuff they had before they had to think up the word "smokeless"), THEN it would have gone "BOOM"!  And so it shall.   ;D
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com