Ten X 56-50 Smokeless?

Started by Mossyrock, July 31, 2007, 09:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyrock

Any idea what they are loading this with?  What powder and bullet?  I shot a few rounds of it this evening and MAN is it dirty!  :o And it leads the bore, too!   >:(
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Mossyrock on July 31, 2007, 09:29:09 PM
Any idea what they are loading this with?  What powder and bullet?  I shot a few rounds of it this evening and MAN is it dirty!  :o And it leads the bore, too!   >:(

Hmm.   I have shot the same ammo and didnt find it to be a problem.  I would call Richard and ask him what they put in it.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Two Flints

Mossyrock,

Richard of Ten-X Ammo has posted on this site.  I'll try to find his post and link it here.

Try this link which has info on the Ten-X loads:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,14525.msg184397.html#msg184397

Also, if you just type in Ten-X in the search window, you'll get a few other links to go to as well.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Mossyrock

Thanks Two Flints.  I had read that, but it was a little vague...understandably so.  My GUESS would be H-4227.  I might have to break a cartridge down and take a look.
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Mossyrock on August 01, 2007, 02:03:22 PM
Thanks Two Flints.  I had read that, but it was a little vague...understandably so.  My GUESS would be H-4227.  I might have to break a cartridge down and take a look.

OR   you could place a phone call to TenX.  ;)

Gimpy Gus

Hi Folks,  I don't think Richard will tell you what powder and charge weight they are using. He's told me there are too many liability issues. GG

Deadeye Don

Well I think he could call Richard and explain the problem.  Richard might have some tips to offer or actually adjust the load for the customer depending on what the problem is.  I have found TENX to be very customer oriented and helpful.   I have always found that starting with the people that should know most about an issues is best.  Since TENX made the goods.......   Safe shooting.
Deadeye.

Appalachian Ed

I would suggest getting past the factory stuff, and hand loading some real BP. I can not imagine it being much fun shooting smokeless through a Spencer.

Be safe, shoot the Holly Black.

-Eddie
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Mossyrock

Quote from: Appalachian Ed on August 01, 2007, 04:08:25 PM
I would suggest getting past the factory stuff, and hand loading some real BP. I can not imagine it being much fun shooting smokeless through a Spencer.

Be safe, shoot the Holly Black.

-Eddie

The only reason I am shooting this because it came with the rifle, and I am going to reuse the brass.  As far as I am concerned, after this box of ammo, it will never see smokeless again.
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Appalachian Ed

A
Quote from: Mossyrock on August 01, 2007, 05:36:01 PM
The only reason I am shooting this because it came with the rifle, and I am going to reuse the brass.  As far as I am concerned, after this box of ammo, it will never see smokeless again.

GOOD man!! Shoot BP, get dirty, let the nancy boys shoot smokeless!!  ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D

-Eddie
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."

Mossyrock

Quote from: Appalachian Ed on August 01, 2007, 07:20:21 PM
A
GOOD man!! Shoot BP, get dirty, let the nancy boys shoot smokeless!!  ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D

-Eddie

It will be in good company with my 50-70 Roller and my '76 in 45-60.  Like the man said, this ain't my first rodeo!   ;D ;D ;D

Mossyrock

Lone Watie

Appalachian Ed

Gus Hall

Mossyrock

Quote from: Gus Hall on August 08, 2007, 01:42:06 AM
VER' NICE!! What maker?

It is an original Remington Rolling Block Sporter action with a Green Mountain 50-70 barrel, and the best piece of wood that Treebone Carving could come up with.  Adobe Walls Forge did the color case hardening for me, and I did the nitre bluing of the screws and pins.  I would have rust blued the barrel, but my boiling tank wasn't long enough for this barrel.  After I polished it, I had a local guy drop it in his hot blue tank.
Mossyrock

Lone Watie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com