Question about shooting Uberti lever action rifles

Started by Montana Ed, July 21, 2007, 04:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montana Ed

Hi Folks: New forum member here. I'm fairly new to shooting in general and definitely new to shooting lever action rifles. I have a few questions I'm hoping you good folks could help me out with:
1) The other evening at the range one of the guys I was with (who has years of shooting experience under his belt and is a guy I respect) pointed out to me a few things that he thought were troublesome: the spent casings from most of my 45 LC bullets have black stains on them after being discharged (I have two Ubertis - a Yellowboy and a 20" Sporter 1873). Upon closer inspection, he also pointed out to me that both rifles are also discharging a small amount of black smoke upon firing from the back of the barrels (where you can insert single bullets if you want to). He told me this shouldn't be happening and it's indicative that gasses are escaping from the barrel when I shoot. So, do you guys have this happen with your rifles too? Is this dangerous? Is it impacting my rifles' accuracy? I am shooting with ten-x ammo. Could that have anything to do with it (since it was happening in both rifles)? Is this something I need to get corrected immediately or is this just the way these guns shoot and it's nothing to be concerned about?

2) Can anyone explain to me how to clean the lever action and the whole back assembly of these rifles? Uberti had no informaton in their packaging. Is it important to clean this area everytime you shoot? I treasure these rifles and want them to last.

Thank you folks, Montana Ed

Major 2

You will find this helpful
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,16101.0.html

you did not say what loads you are using but you might
try changing your loads...

when planets align...do the deal !

Will Blastem

Quote from: Montana Ed on July 21, 2007, 04:37:21 PM
Hi Folks: New forum member here. I'm fairly new to shooting in general and definitely new to shooting lever action rifles. I have a few questions I'm hoping you good folks could help me out with:
1) The other evening at the range one of the guys I was with (who has years of shooting experience under his belt and is a guy I respect) pointed out to me a few things that he thought were troublesome: the spent casings from most of my 45 LC bullets have black stains on them after being discharged (I have two Ubertis - a Yellowboy and a 20" Sporter 1873). Upon closer inspection, he also pointed out to me that both rifles are also discharging a small amount of black smoke upon firing from the back of the barrels (where you can insert single bullets if you want to). He told me this shouldn't be happening and it's indicative that gasses are escaping from the barrel when I shoot. So, do you guys have this happen with your rifles too? Is this dangerous? Is it impacting my rifles' accuracy? I am shooting with ten-x ammo. Could that have anything to do with it (since it was happening in both rifles)? Is this something I need to get corrected immediately or is this just the way these guns shoot and it's nothing to be concerned about?

2) Can anyone explain to me how to clean the lever action and the whole back assembly of these rifles? Uberti had no informaton in their packaging. Is it important to clean this area everytime you shoot? I treasure these rifles and want them to last.

Thank you folks, Montana Ed

Howdy Montana Ed and Welcome to CAS  :D. While I am not an expert by any stretch...only a plain ole cowboy shooter...I'll take a stab at your querry. I'm sure you'll get lots more info from some of the Pards that ARE the experts with these firearms. I shoot a model 73 and a Model 92 (the 73 is chambered in .357 and the 92 is .45LC). I think the sooty cases are normal for us particularly in 45LC and my .357 does it too. It comes from the fact that the lighter loads we shoot coupled with the straight wall design of these calibers doesn't develop enough pressure to expand the cases to properly seal the chambers. I believe these guns were originally designed to shoot bottle neck cartridges and if your were to shoot one chambered in...say 44-40...you would probably find cleaner cases. I do not believe it affects the accuracy or performance of the rifles at all. I load my cartridges to the near bottom of the published load data and both my guns are very accurate. Now as far as the "black smoke" coming from the back of the chamber when firing, I haven't really noticed mine doing that so maybe some of the more knowledgeable Pards will chime in with a good answer. I suspect, however, it is just another by-product of the former situation and probably nothing to concern yourself with. Do you like how the rifle shoots? Is the accuracy OK for you? Remember, in CAS, we are shooting at fairly close range and at fairly large targets. My guess if you can shoot 3-5" groups at 100 yds you're doing fine. Just my humble opinion, dontchano ;D.

As far as disassembly and cleaning goes, I clean mine after every session but I don't disassemble it but about every 6 months or so. I blow the action out with brake cleaner (the non- clorinated kind...from any auto parts store...which is about $3. compared to the same product sold specifically for gun cleaning at about $8). I then clean the bore thoroughly with a jag and patch. Disassembly manuals can be pruchased from Brownells, Midway, etc.
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Montana Ed

Thnaks gMajor2 and Will for your help! I'm glad to know that my guns are ok. Didn't even know that this phenomenon had a name! Blowback huh? Well, I've learned so much from reading this board and you guys are the best.

To answer your questions Will, I do like how the rifles shoot. In fact I love em. As far as the accuracy goes.....well, let's just say it isn't the guns fault. 

Major 2: the weight of mt 45LC ammo is 2oogr. I have a box of Magtech 45 LC that are 250gr. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks so much again for your help. Ed

Major 2

In my Henry's (same action as your 66 & 73) no real blow back with 250 Grain Black Hills and Ultramax.
But I get some with 200 Grain Ultramax but not more than 1/4 "  1/3 "or so stain from the mouth of the shell.
when planets align...do the deal !

h c ramrod

I THINK YAH GOT YOUR ANSWER ON THE STAINED CASES , I HAVE SEEN SOME FOLKS WHO LOAD THERE LOADS REAL LITE WITH 200 GRN HEADS AND DOWN TO 5 GRNS OT TITE GROUP POWDER AND THE STAINS GO ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE RIM. AND BOY ARE THEY HOT TO TOUCH WHEN YAH PIC THEM OFF THE GROUND. ITS NOT A PROBLEM. TO AVOID IT YAH NEED TO RUN THE 250 GRN HEAD WITH MORE POWDER ( WITHOUT GOING OVA THE MAX LISTED IN THE RELOADING MANUAL.....
I HAVE BEEN SHOOTIN THIS PROGRAM FOR 8 YEARS AND LOVE IT ...........H.C. RAMROD
keep yur powder dry.

Montana Ed

Thank you folks for your help! I went to the range on Monday and used 250 grain bullets. Had no issues! You guys were right on the money. Thanks again, Ed

will52100

You might have loose chambers, but like was said, low power ammo doesn't epand and seal as well as the hotter stuff.  Funy thing is my black powder cases are cleaner and show a lot less blow by than my smokless loads.  I shoot a Henry in 45 Colt., also with 250 grain bullets.

While you want to bring the power up some, just be real careful and don't go over, stay away from +P type hot loads, the toggle link action is pretty weak.  Standard 45 ammo is fine, but some ammo sold for Ruggers and Freedom arms revolvers are bad new in a toggle link rifle.
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com