Remington 1875 or Colt 1873 clones ?

Started by Dodge City Slicker, July 21, 2007, 03:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodge City Slicker

I have 2 Rem BP 1858's and was hankering for a smokeless gun. I like the Rem 1875 in .45 colt..are these as well made as the Colt clones you see everywhere ?
I would like to hear the pros and cons of my choice.
Thanks

Major 2

Or you might consider Uberti's Forged frame conversion....
The Remy 75 is a nice gun too.
when planets align...do the deal !

Deadeye Don

OR....You could just buy RandD conversion cylinders for the 1858s!!  They are made to shoot smokeless. 

PS I am assuming those 58s are reproductions and not originals.   ;)

Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Dodge City Slicker

Quote from: Deadeye Don on July 21, 2007, 06:49:58 AM
OR....You could just buy RandD conversion cylinders for the 1858s!!  They are made to shoot smokeless. 

PS I am assuming those 58s are reproductions and not originals.   ;)

Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

I do have a Kirst conversion cyl for my Pietta Rem 1858 .45 colt, and it has the steel frame...are these also for smokeless ?

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Dodge City Slicker on July 21, 2007, 10:47:24 AM
I do have a Kirst conversion cyl for my Pietta Rem 1858 .45 colt, and it has the steel frame...are these also for smokeless ?

Yes indeed.  In fact that is what they are designed for in the first place.  As long as you plan to shoot "cowboy" loads in them go for it.
I am certainly not saying you shouldnt go out and buy a new gun if you want!! ;D 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Dodge City Slicker

Quote from: Deadeye Don on July 21, 2007, 11:56:18 AM
Yes indeed.  In fact that is what they are designed for in the first place.  As long as you plan to shoot "cowboy" loads in them go for it.
I am certainly not saying you shouldnt go out and buy a new gun if you want!! ;D 

...new guns are always nice, but getting into CAS has cost me a small fortune so far...I will certainly consider using the Kirst cyl with cowboy smokeless loads  ;D

Marshal Will Wingam

Frankly, I like shooting my conversions better than anything I've tried. Much better than the Colt and 1875 Remingtons. They're more accurate and the action is shorter.

If you reload your own ammunition, you may want to try the Cowboy 45 Spl loads. Adirondack Jack's Trading Post I find them to be even more accurate than anything I've ever shot in them. Small cases with less airspace make more consistent loads.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Tommy tornado

I own both a EMF 1875 Outlaw and a few Uberti and Pietta Colt Clones.  Both have their good and bad points and both seem to do better after an action job. 

1875 Outlaw
-Is Heavier than the Colt
-(Mine) does not take as long a cartridge as my Colt Clones.  EX// Cartridge loaded with 270 SAA bullet from RCBS won't work in my 1875.
-Has a hand spring that is more apt to break than the clone.  (I have gone through 3 in the 8 years that I have owned it, and so far only replace one colt spring)
-Shoots excellent, dead on after filing my sights a little.
-Very strong solid frame

1873 Colt
-Depends on model but I have one Uberti Cattleman that is extremely rough and needs action work badly.  It won't shoot BP well and is kind of a lemon.  On the other hand, I have 4 GWII's and another Cattlemen that were excellent out of the box. 
-Lighter than the Outlaw even with longer barrels
-Takes a longer cartridge
-Again all but one of mine shoots well.
-Solid frame is strong
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

E.R.Beaumont

Howdy Pards and Pardettes.

Dodge City Slicker Pard, I would suggest that you find a pard with a pair or maybe only one of each to see which one you like.  The grip frames are not the same, and the pistols line up with your arm bones differently.  Lots of Pards think that the '75s line up with their eyes better.  Good for duelist or gunfighter.

They are heavier so they handle recoil better, and there are the style points for shooting Frank James and Buffalo Bill's favorite Revolver.  Every once in a while EMF ( General U.S.Grant's shop) has a special price on the Outlaw model, which is their name for the '75. They also offer discounts to SASS members upon occasion.  Their Colt Clones are made by Uberti or Pietta? and their Remmi clones gota be Uberti's cause I think that thay are the only that make them.

That is all I think I know.
Regards, Beaumont
SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

Cimarron Lawman

I like a gun with some heft, as Robert Duvall once said. That's why I prefer the '75 Remington. The stock grips are a little fat, but they can be thinned. And you might want to be proactive and replace the hand spring with a tempered bobby pin.

RattlesnakeJack

I've got clones of both the 1873 Colt and 1875 Remington, and prefer my brace of 1875's ....

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Pitspitr

DSS
I have a Pietta NM '58 that I use with a Kirst cylinder. So far I haven't shot Holy Black in it since I got the Kirt. I use both factory and my own reloads. It's slow to shoot duelist but it's also my most accurate side arm. It was my first CAS gun for the very reason you stated, it's expensive to get started in the sport.  I've got more guns now and wouldn't have to shoot it, but it's the one I always fall back on, it's reliable.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com