Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Range Photos

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, July 20, 2007, 12:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

Dave, Tony Hollandsworth and I went down to our new NCOWS posse shooting range to scope things out and shoot some photos, here they are. Questions welcome.

Bill

The first five photos are of the lower shooting area.

Modern parking and camping area....

Pooter......

50 yard line...

50 yard line...in reverse.....

Proposed area for shooting stages....we can put four here and two against the bunker (back stop..)

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Deadeye Don

Looks like a state forest to me!!  I almost didnt recognize Dave there without his duds.  Is that Tony hiding in the shadows?  :o

Looks like a great area Bill.  What is that thing in the middle picture??  It kind of looks like a grave marker.  Thanks for the pictures.  I cant wait to see it in person.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Ottawa Creek Bill

Second group of photos shows upper shooting and camping area.

Any member can use this cabin...

Primitive camping area...

Covered area for long range shooting is in the process of being built.

More primitive camping...

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ottawa Creek Bill

Don.....
That is an out house on the lower area...yes that is Tony....

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Deadeye Don

Oh an outhouse.  Well I wasnt even close.   ;D  I lost perspective in that picture.  That cabin looks pretty darn nice.   Is there a berm at the end of the long distance range?
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Ottawa Creek Bill

More primitive camping upper level..this area is a lot bigger then it looks...there are little glades like this that have been cleared through out our range.

SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ottawa Creek Bill

Don...
No....just hills......
That second silhouette is at 200 yards.....

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Shotgun Steve

Hey Bill..that is one kewl place. How far do you estimate it to be from Manistee??
Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Ottawa Creek Bill

Steve..
If I remember right Manistee is about 350 miles from Indianapolis....Add on another 28 miles south of Indy to the range.

When you mentioned Manistee...that brought back memories of when I was a boy hunting in the Manistee National Forest just north of White Cloud.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Halfway Creek Charlie

I owned property in Oceana County north of Muskegon, seven miles from Lake Mich. I rode the ferry from Ludington across to Mantowoc Wisconsin to see friends there south of Sheboygan several times when i lived there in the 90's. Isn't Manistee north of Ludington?
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Major 2

Man o man ... I'm sooooooo jealous   :'(
nothing like that here  :-\  .. In fact no one 'cept me might care .... all gamers I guess.
My search for like minded NCOWS types in FLA. has turned bubcus  ::)
when planets align...do the deal !

Ottawa Creek Bill

Halfway.......

Manistee is straight up highway 31 from Ludington...

Major 2....

Don't give up on a Florida posse.....did you ever find out how many NCOWS members are in Florida?

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Major 2

Bill

In March of 06 Quick Fire PM me a list of 13 supposed Members phone numbers, One had a Email and one a street address.
I was told, some travel so don't expect a quick reply.
Well I emailed the one several times, no response.
I mailed a letter or 3  to the other ... also no response.
I phoned others, I remember an answering machine (left my explanation and number no response )
I got one curt response , "How did I get his number ? " I was surprised by this fellows angry retort  ::)
I even posted a "please contact me" on this very wire to the fellows by name....
That was deleted by the Mod as perhaps , invading their right to privacy.

Of the 13 I don't know how many are still members ( as I never heard anything from any of them , save angry man )
To date not one has return a call , email or snail mail...

last November I manned a display at a Church Outdoor Sports Fair, I was provided hand outs fro NCOWS  , I had one fellow follow up
"Cutter Carl" ... But I'm afraid he lost the drive.

Bill ... you ask how many ? .... I'm afraid there are none.... :-[

Will Ketchum

One last thing you might try is to take out an ad in "The Shootist".  It won't cost you anything and might get some contacts.

Others have done this but I have no idea how successful they were.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Lone Gunman

Major 2,
PM me all of your contact info again & I'll add it to the "Scouts Report" column of the magazine.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Halfway Creek Charlie

OH Allright, you guys talked me into it.
I tried to join NCOWS on the web today and couldn't get past the confirmation page and Paypal hasn't sent me their "instant" email yet....so I can't pay by Credit card(wish NCOWS had that ability on their membership page.
I'll send in my check in the morning with the flyer I printed out this afternoon.

I think there are some afoot here that want to start a local posse. And then there's the pards up at Hat Creek that's not too far away from me.

I am still up for that national posse if ya ever get it going Major2.

I too wish I was back in Indiana so's I could shoot at that purty place......I kin smell them hickory trees right now....
UM, UM,   UM, UM,   UM UM UM UM UM,

OCB,
I haven't gotten to the Henry Conversion yet waiting on some tools from Clymer and Brownells. I have a projects for a client in front of it that needs one of the tools.

I want to talk to the guys at Buffalo Arms and get the measurments of their 44 Henry C.F. brass for the R & D conversions(I didn't know they made one either) and their 44 Henry C.F for original chambers, and see what they are dimensionally and what case they are made from.

I do believe that I'll convert mine to shoot the 44 Russian/OWM 248 Grn Modified nose bullet. It'll chamber in one of my original Remy conversions that appears to have been a 46 RF before it was converted to C.F. as it has the larger dia rim recesses in the chambers, it also chambers 44 rem. C.F.'s. The other one doesn't, it's a recessed 44 Rem C.F. only.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ottawa Creek Bill

LG....
Adding it to the scout report is OK....but considering the kind of response Major 2 got from our members in Florida......I would suggest that he forward his contact information to Jack Bursovsky and, Irish Dave and have them contact the members in Florida personally by phone, and get a face to face response from them.

Another thing NCOWS can do is send out a formal letter to our members in Florida with a return postage paid envelope with the instructions that if they are interested in forming a posse in Florida to return the envelope with their contact information to NCOWS. 

As a matter of fact we should be doing this with all our members in areas where there is an interest in forming a posse...but some reluctance to take that first step.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ottawa Creek Bill

Halfway Creek Charlie wrote:
QuoteI'll send in my check in the morning with the flyer I printed out this afternoon.

Charlie....

Glad to see you on board....my wife just joined and she is member #2950.

Thanks for the heads up on Buffalo Arms...

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Major 2

:D BRILIANT IDEA !  :D

"...Another thing NCOWS can do is send out a formal letter to our members in Florida with a return postage paid envelope with the instructions that if they are interested in forming a posse in Florida to return the envelope with their contact information to NCOWS. 

As a matter of fact we should be doing this with all our members in areas where there is an interest in forming a posse...but some reluctance to take that first step.

LG... PM sent as requested, thanks

Will ... How I do dat ? ... is there request form ?

Hardscrabble Gus

Hello, Bill.  As I wander off the original thread...the Manistee NF north of White Cloud.  Now you're talking where I grew up and wandered the woods.  Grew up and spent the first 22 years of my life on a 100 acre farm 6 miles NE of White Cloud, surrounded by the MNF.  From a very young age I was allowed to roam and wander, as long as my dog Spike was with me.  We may very well have walked the same ground and fished the same streams.  I still live in the vicinity.  Take care.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com