Started by Marshal Deadwood, July 17, 2007, 10:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Deadwood

I didnt know where to put this,,as there is not a forum,,but,,,

dont many hunt with these rifles ?

Just curious.

Marshal Deadwood  *that loves hunting

Will Ketchum

I would guess that most of us who are hunters, and where they are legal, hunt at least some of the time with our CAS rifles.

A few years ago Bill Curran wrote an article about deer hunting cowboy style for "The Shootist."

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Silver Creek Slim

A couple years ago I shot a whitetail with my .45 Colt Marlin. Last year I went out with my .44 WCF Henry but didn't see anything to shoot.  :(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Rowdy Fulcher

Yes Sir,
These Rifles worked to feed people 120 Years ago . Why not use them now , I enjoy hunting with the old lever guns . And have taken some nice Whitetail bucks with them . Well it's about time to light the grill and cook a couple Deer steaks .

Dutch Limbach

My hunting days are behind me, but I just heard that my home state, Indiana, just past a deer season for pistol caliber rifles.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

Delmonico

Quote from: Dutch Limbach on July 18, 2007, 05:51:02 PM
My hunting days are behind me, but I just heard that my home state, Indiana, just past a deer season for pistol caliber rifles.

Good for you guys Dutch, progress, 'bout time they figgered out shotguns are for shooting birds. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Tjackstephens

Indeed, took a nice deer with my 44/40 year before last. That deer couldn't tell the difference, probably thought it was a 30/06. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Texas John Critter

You bet, I've used almost all my guns to take game or varmits over the years.  I've used my handguns on deer and coyotes, rifles on coyotes and woodchucks, shotgun on small game and turkeys.  I enjoy it very much.  I wish our state would let us use pistol caliber rifles in my area on deer.  I use one of my muzzleloaders instead of a shotgun, but it would be fun to hunt with a 66 or 92.
He any good?
He's killed more people than smallpox!
Well hell, introduce us.

Rowdy Fulcher

Are there any Turkey Hunters out there ?
Do you use doubles or a 97 ?
Who hunts with Black powder shells ?
How much shot are you shooting ?

Texas John Critter

I am an avid turkey hunter.  I have used my 97's, when I owned them, and one of my doubles.  I was shooting them with smokeless though.  I do use a 12 ga frontstuffer sometimes.  80 grs of FFg and 1 1/4 oz of #5's puts them down for good.  Pattern Pattern Pattern is the key to killing birds.  If there is a hole in the pattern they will find it and slip right through it.  Find out what range you gun patterns to and keep your shots closer than that.  I have only twice taken a bird past 20 yards and I let them get a lot closer if they aren't spooky.  I called my buddies bird into 12 yards this year and the only reason I let him shoot then was because he was shaking so hard I thought he was going to spook the bird. ;D
He any good?
He's killed more people than smallpox!
Well hell, introduce us.

Rowdy Fulcher

Texas John Critter
I am glad to see there are some Turkey hunters out there that love to use the old style guns .
I love to be out in the woods and hear ole Tom goblin his head off , especially when he's headed in your direction .

Cuts Crooked

I've used my "Norchester", a Coyote Cap full race with interchangable chokes, to take two turkeys. (don' use it fer CAS though b'cause I shoot BP in competition  :-\ )
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Rowdy Fulcher

Howdy Folks
Just wanted to ask about Deer hunting with cowboy guns .I have been using Cowboy guns since about 89 . I have hunted with several calibers 38-55 40-65 45-70 30-30 45-60 45colt they all worked good . What calibers do you prefer ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com