Marlin vs. Puma!

Started by The Ok Kid, July 14, 2007, 02:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ok Kid

Howdy guys,
   I'm just starting off in Cowboy Shooting, bought a Vaquero in 4-5/8 (.357) and wanted to get a rifle next.  I read a good review on the Pumas in the Rifleman, and a couple people told me they were nice but it seems like a lot of people on here don't think theyre reliable or good at cycling .38's.  How do they compare to the Marlin's and any other recommendations for a beginner would be great.  I'll mostly be shooting .38 special, any rifles have problems with this or function well in this regard?
Thanks,
~The Ok Kid~

Camille Eonich

Go for the Marlin.  It will allow you to go farther than the '92 will.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Four-Eyed Buck

All lever guns are somewhat OAL picky. The Puma's seem to be moreso than the Marlins. I think I would opt for the Marlin given the choice. If you go the Puma, then shoot .357 cases in both guns.......................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

RRio

I've been shooting Rossi made 92s since they first arrived in the US in 1978. I've never had a problem with any of the many I have owned (about 8 ). Never had action work on them, just broke them in by using them. I believe the whole trick to using them is, not to baby them. I lever them like I mean business.
A whole lot of folk like China Camp, Claudia Feather, Tex, Bounty Hunter and the likes, have used them. China Camp, I believe, won EOT 1993 using one.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Wymore Wrangler

I agree with Rawhide if you know how to use them, they are great, put I'd still advise a newbe to get the Marlin...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Arcey

Quote from: Rawhide Rio on July 14, 2007, 04:44:09 PM
I believe the whole trick to using them is, not to baby them. I lever them like I mean business.

If you look at my '92 you'll notice the lever is bent from workin' it hard.  That was with less than a year of shootin' on the clock.

I switched to Marlins 'n never looked back.  That'll be ten years ago come December.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn't be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it 'n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Dakota Dan from OZ

Go for a Marlin.I have had my 38=357 for over 6 years and all I shoot in it are 38s loaded with125 grn F/Points and it will shoot them all day, everyday.

Dakota  8)

My Pa once said "Son never take a knife to Gun Fight"  He told the truth.
SASS# 28875
SASS State Governor
SASA  Aust #2715
SASA State Discipline Chairman
RATS 239
PWDFR 146
GSC 001

Missouri Marshal

NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Silver Creek Slim

I've never shot a Rossi '92. I own a .45 colt and .44 Mag Marlin. Never had a problem with either one.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Modoc

Best bet, get to a local match and handle them both (if not the match, at least go to the local gun shops and do a side by side comparrison).  I have shot both, but personal preference is still the 1892 action, even though the Marlin is easier to disassemble/reassemble and may be able to run a little faster (in others hands ;)).  Someday I'll have a Marlin to go with the 5 '92s (and maybe even a '73).
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com