Is this rifle NCOWS legal,,is it a close copy of 'anything' ?

Started by Marshal Deadwood, July 14, 2007, 02:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Deadwood

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1895Cowboy.aspx

Im sure its a fine rifle,,,but,,,is it considered to be a 'historic rifle' at all ?

Marshal Deadwood

Irish Dave

Well, Marshal, it is a close copy of Marlin's original 1895 if I recall correctly, except primarily for the round bolt on the new model compared to a square bolt on the originals.

The Bylaws say Marlin '95s are legal provided they retain the same look as the originals.
Reckon this is a finesse question that I should leave up to our Judge, John "Trap" Torrence.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Deadwood

Thanks Irish,,Im still in the 'ponderin' and plannin' deal on a long range big bore....I been lookin' at possibley a Perderstoli Sharps or the 1873Win (Uberti).

The price of the Marlin is attractive,,but,,if its not close, I know ill just get disatisified later,,,so ,,then it would not be good money spent anyways.

Big part of this to me anyways is having good close copys of historic firearms,,,not just 'workable' guns. Im sure the Marlin is a fine rifle in its own right...but even at 1895,,,its still pretty late for me.

We'll see how the 'covert opperations' here on the domestic front go,,,and when the 1876's might start commin' in.

Thats  really an attractive gun to me...could double as my 'primary hunting' rifle also.

Thanks again,

Marshal Deadwood

Irish Dave

We shot one of the Taylor's/Uberti '76s at the Nationals last month.

What a dandy.

.45-60 as I recall. Definitely worth a look, I'd say.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Mick Archer

Howdy Pards!

IMHO, it depends upon where one likes to be on the History-Heavy versus History-Light sliding scale of things.

IMHO, mostly... NO.

Unless one considers a Thompson-Center Hawken to be J & S or S. Hawken.

It is knda/sorta "like" the Marlin M1895.

Marlin came out with the "new" M1895 in 1972 but it was NOT a reintroduction of the old historical M1895. (Much the same way that new "Big Henry" is a reintroduction of the M1860 Henry...)  And they have made changes over the years like adding a pistol grip to teh stock like what is on their Model 444 Sporter.

The "new" Marlin kinda/sorta "looks like" the 1917 lightweight M1895's kinda/sorta.

Kinda hard to get passed the side ejection on the "new"  M1895...

When you see a Marlin M1895 next to the "new" M1895 the similarities and differences...

Others' mileage will vary....

Mick Archer

Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Delmonico

Quote from: Mick Archer on July 14, 2007, 07:44:10 PM
   Howdy Pards!

Kinda hard to get passed the side ejection on the "new"  M1895...

???  So where does the original 1895 eject to?
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Trap

The original 95s had a bolt cover that was flush with the side of the receiver much like the 94. The round exposed bolt makes it not appear like the original to me. IMHO.   jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Black River Smith

My vote would be for the new 76's.

Also the  Win'86 was reproduced several years ago.  These still show up in the market place.
Black River Smith

Mick Archer

Howdy Pards! 

Thanks Delmonico for the reminder..

Marlin dropped the top ejecting feature of the M1881 for a side ejecting starting with the Model 1889.

Mick Archer
   Whose years is 1881 Posse
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Lone Gunman

As alluded to by Mick Archer, the only relationship that the abomination Marshal Dead Wood linked to has to the 1895 Marlin is in name only. Read with me now from the text (Marlin Firearms by Wm S Brophy, pg 233):

Quote"The 'New Model' 1895 rifle was introduced in 1972...built upon the model 336 receiver..."

The last 'real' Model 1895 Marlins were produced in 1915, and all had the 'flat' style bolt. The first 'round bolt' Marlins were the various 336 Models which were first introduced in 1949. Since the 'New Model 1895' is based on the 336 rather than the 'real' 1895 design it's lineage begins in 1949 which is outside out timeline.

Therefore, the 'New Model" 1895 is unequivocally outside our time frame, and therefore, not legal. 
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Marshal Deadwood

gw

Good choice Marshal, I think you'll find the '76 much more in character and more pleasant to shoot than the lightweight "'95". Years back, I tried one of the "new" '95's and found it way too light with full power BP loads. The '76 has a lot more heft and will make for better shooting all the way around. Hope you like it.
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

RattlesnakeJack

Marshal D:

I hesitated to join in on the Model 1876 recommendations because your original post mentioned .45-70, which the '76 can't be chambered for ....  but then a fella gets the joy of setting up to reload yet another cartridge!!!   ;)

But, if you've decided on a '76 and are still "shopping",  you may want to also consider the Chaparral Arms version ... 

By all reports they are well made ... a reported problem with some toggle link pins being prone to breakage on their early-production 1876's was, I gather, greatly overblown and in any event has long been corrected ....  According to the website below, Chapparal Arms USA is a partnership of Charter Arms in Connecticut and an Italian company or consortium of manufacturers, and the guns sold by the US company are assembled and finished in Connecticut from parts made in Italy (I'd bet by the same jobbers that make the Uberti parts ...)

I am anxiously awaiting receipt of my recently purchased Chaparral M'1876 - though I regret to say that I'll be anxiously waiting for a couple of months, most likely, while all the red tape surrounding export from the US gets unwound.    :'(   I opted for their very limited production NWMP carbine version (surprise .... surprise) which is chambered in the original .45-75:

http://www.chaparralfirearms.com/

I believe this variant will be part of the regular Chaparral line, but absent some special features (in particular, serial numbering to match original NWMP carbine numbers, and stamped with an appropriate NWMP cartouche on the buttstock) of this 'very limited production' version, which I understand are only available through an exclusive distributor who was instrumental in getting them to make this version at all.  He is a fellow Cowboy Action shooter, name of Sixgun Shorty (aka Scott Meyer) who owns and operates "Nevada Western Firearms" -
http://www.nevadawesternfirearms.com/

Scott is very pleasant to deal with, and I see that he offers the "regular" Chaparral 1876 rifle for $1050.00, which is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the the price offered by the dealer Chaparral Arms' website links to ....  or Taylor's price for the '76 rifles they offer.   ::)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Rowdy Fulcher

Marshal Deadwood .
The 1876 is an Excellent choice . At present you have 3 calibers to choice from 40-60 45-60 45-75
The 45-60 is my favorite . I know that the 50-95 is on the drawing board . Which brand you go with is your choice . I worked with the Chapparal and I have worked with the Taylor's Rifle . Your barrel length from Chapparal in the Rifle are the standard 28 , 26 , and 22 .The Taylor's rifle come with the 28 or the 22 .At present I have a Taylor's rifle in 45-60 with the 28 inch barrel and it looks good and shoots good .    Several years ago I tried to get the bone heads at Marlin  to build the 1893 and they blew us off .

Marshal Deadwood

Gents,,in the 1873,,,,between the 45-60 and the 45-75,,,,what say ya'll in preference ?

I still have to move a Schofield (interested ?) and then will make my purchase.

We'll see guys.

Marshal Deadwood  *who wants this 'more' to hunt with, than for competion,,though I may shoot it at a competion at some point.

Rowdy Fulcher

In the 1876 I prefer the 45-60 but that is my thought . It will work great on Whitetail Deer ,some  like it for Black Bears . The 45-60  has a nice mild recoil but alot of that has to do with the weight of the Rifle . The 300 gr.bullet moving at about 1350 roughly ,are tough on steel at 50yards .

Black River Smith

Marshall,

That question will be a tough one for me when I get there.

The 45-75 was the one and only for a number of year.  It is bottle necked and kind of expensive to load for now.

The 45-60 came out in the 80's (I think 84); the casing can be created from 45-70 brass and the dies are reasonable in price.

I have fired an original in 45-60.  I have an '86 in 45-70.  I am hard leaning toward the 45-75 but that overall expensive is something to consider after buying this rifle.
Black River Smith

Marshal Deadwood

I dont want this for a 'cowboy' gun ,,,more a hunting gun,,,I have a '73 for my match rifle,,,I know the rilfe round would not be a match round,,,

just wanna go back like when young,,,a lever gun, iron sights, and,,well,,when hunting was FUN.

Marshal Deadwood  *what loves to knock deer head over heels.

Ottawa Creek Bill

Mike.....
How's it going?? William (my son) and I were drawn for the Elk hunt in Montana this October and I was hoping to have a 1876 to take...but building a horse barn (and what a fine barn it is tuning out to be) got in the way money wise. So,,,,,that is a purchase that will have to wait until next spring.....Hope to see your new posse in NCOWS soon.....Ours will be up and running in September....you won't regret it.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com