Movie Remingtons

Started by Bull Schmitt, July 13, 2007, 07:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bull Schmitt

I was watching a couple of Randoph Scott westerns recently and noticed a lot of Remington revolvers being used. I wonder where Hollywood got them and what happened to them. I believe they were all either cartridge or conversions models.

Both the good guys and the bad guys were using them. Anyone else notice a lot of Remingtons in the movies?

Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Marshal Will Wingam

I have seen this thing.  :D  Some of the old movies were full of interesting stuff while others led you to think that Colt was the only pistol made in the 17th century. Many of the hero-types used Colts and I think others emulated them. Everyone knows that Colts were made then. I find people today that don't even know that Remington made pistols at all. Some movie makers were more concerned with what was more interesting or accurate while others just wanted easy visual recognition. Only a few TV westerns got out of the Colt mentality.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Was it HIGH NOON, where the bad guy had a pair of 1875's or "90's?
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Flint

Stembridge Gun Room supplied most movie guns for years, I was in it 40 odd years ago, and they had everything, and it was all original, there were no clones then.  Many wonderful shot out, beat up antiques you would cry for if you saw them today.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Cimarron Lawman

I suppose most people know that Robert Duvall used a Uberti '75 Remington in Open Range;)

In the final shootout at the end, in the marshal's office, there is a nice sequence where focus jumps between the Irishman's Colt and Duvall's Remington, fire and smoke spouting from both barrels till they're empty. Black powder?

I can't see a cross-pin on the Remington's frame. Either my eyesight is poor or the gun is an early model with the spring latch pin release. 

David

Didn't Ben Cartwright and Hoss carry the 1875? They should do 'Bonanza the Movie'.

Silver Creek Slim

I remember seeing a Remington C&B in one of the Hoppy movies I have on DVD. I know I have seen others but I can't remember them now.  :(

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Jake Stoner

Lots of Remmies in Bandolero!  Jimmy Stewart carried a Colt, but most of the others carried 1875's.
Jake Stoner
SASS # 28994
SBSS #1018
SCORRS
" Who's the fella that owns this shithole?" - William Muny

Marshal Will Wingam

I see by your photo, Jake, that you've seen Pale Rider. One of my favorite "Remington" movies.

Yankee Will

Does anyone remember The Duke ever using a Remington? ???
"This country needs more Patton and less patent leather..."

Judge Roy Bean

A lot of old black & white movies had a lot of Remington's in them, One with the DUKE is The Big Trail. Randolph Scott had one in
Belle Star,both c/b guns.Most guns That looked like Remington's are COLTS with a web welded to the barrel manly done by the Stembridge Gun Rental,mostly done to look like c/b revolvers.
Texas & Miss Lilly.
  shoot"em"first hang "em" later.

sundance44`s

Here`s a good in the movie Dances with Wolves , a 1858 Remington goes into the water in the fight seen at the river and when the guy holding it comes up ... low and behold it`s a Colt open top now...presto changeooooo.
Now I`m scared to use water when cleaning my Remmies ..... :o
Remington Americas Oldest GunMaker

You boys gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: sundance44`s on July 17, 2007, 02:58:06 PMNow I`m scared to use water when cleaning my Remmies ..... :o
Think what could happen if ya drank some.

Steel Horse Bailey

I've noticed a number of '50s & '60s Hollyweird movies where, usually in the hands of a "bad guy" you can see what appears to be a Remington, but is actually a swing-out cylinder gun (prob'ly a 38 spl) fitted with a distinctive Remington-inspired "sail" under the barrel.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Four-Eyed Buck

Maybe because of the association with Frank James?.................Buck 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Halfway Creek Charlie

Sharon Stone used a Reid's Knuckle Duster in the dinner scene.
There were several remingtons in Stage Coach that was just one last weekend. I had it one and saw at least 3 Also there is a Colt Modified with a Remmy Sail that shows op in several old movies, it was recently sold by Sturnbridge Rentals.

SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Steel Horse Bailey

Quote from: Halfway Creek Charlie on July 18, 2007, 12:02:39 PM
... Also there is a Colt Modified with a Remmy Sail that shows up in several old movies, it was recently sold by Sturnbridge Rentals.

Would that be called a "Coltington?"  It'd be an interesting piece for my (or anyone's) gun collection, that's for sure!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

The Elderly Kid

Next time you watch "They Died With their Boots On" watch closely in the climactic Little Big Horn scene. The beleagured Custer (Errol Flynn) is shooting away at the circling Indians while the old scout sits at his feet loading revolvers and handing them up to him. Just before he gets whacked, Custer is holding a Remington '75 in one hand and a Colt '73 in the other. Had to be an original in those days.

The Avocado Kid

IN THE MOVIE "DEADMAN" THERE IS A SHOOT- OUT BETWEEN GABRIEL BYRNE AND JOHNNY DEPP... BYRNE HAS A REMY AND DEPP AN IVORY HANDLE SAA COLT...DEPP WINS THE GUNFIGHT...THE GUYS WITH THE COLTS IN THE MOVIES WERE ALWAYS THE WINNERS WELL,MOST OF THE TIME. DUSTY
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Major 2

Seems to me Wayne uses a Remington C&B early in Red River before he finds young Mat.
Also in The Horse Soldiers the troopers pistols are "sail modified" Colts (Coltington's ? ) Wayne sticks one in his belt at one point in Newton Station.
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com