Rawhide box-parfleche, for my powder

Started by Mogorilla, July 11, 2007, 07:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mogorilla

I am a cap and ball shooter and I love all things Native American.   A while back, I made two pouch Parfleches for a friend of mine from a dog chew toy.   (See my Parfleche post in the Old Fashioned Way subpage of the Historical society for more info).  Anyway, like I said, I shoot cap and ball.  I premeasure my powder into some 2 dram vials I obtained at a trade show about 15 years ago (I am a chemist and really talked up the sales rep, got 500).   I had carried them in the orignal plastic box to shoots and they stood out like a sore thumb.   Saw a Parfleche box during some internet research and an idea formed.   Tandy had a good sized piece of rawhide for 24.99, so I made this box.  I am adding a photo of some orginal native made ones that were my inspiration.  (note, if you make one of these, your four legged friend will have more than their share of interest as you see in one photo, my buddy is coming to sniff about.)    ;D  Did this as original as I could, the lacing is tanned deer hide.   The box was sealed traditionally with prickly pear cactus after painted in mineral pigment (in this case charcoal and hideglue) The design is Arapaho in nature, I sketched it out in black and white, liked the look and kept the scheme.

Inspiration

Holds 50 measured, held in a 45 colt tray, will also hold a cartridge box-Buddy coming in from Right for a sniff

Design

Snake River James

Very nice!  BTW, don't let your dog eat any scraps from the Tandy rawhide...the chemicals used in making it aren't good for Fido.
Great work!

Marshal Will Wingam

That really looks good. I wouldn't have known about them if you hadn't posted this. It sure gets one to thiinking...

Many thanks.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com