Hoping to start a posse in SE KY

Started by Sunday Bill, July 03, 2007, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunday Bill

Thanks, Rowdy.

We shot a match using NCOWS rules at Lonesome Pine Range last Sunday. Only had six shooters but there were several local distractions related to the holiday. The idea seemed well-received and we've have had several others say they're coming today.

Talked it up some at yesterday's Hooten monthly match, as well. Jim and Celeste came down there and shot with us.

The Hooten area has had rain but it's awfully dry here.

Rich

Tjackstephens

Sunday Bill, it's gona be a little hard remembering your new name. Sorta like telling the difference between Texas Jack and Tom3Persons. You sure can't go wrong if you have the help of Mr. and Mrs. Jim Mullins. Wishing you all the best and hope to make it over to shoot with you all. Maybe can get Fencepost to come too. Texas Jack
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Sunday Bill

Tjack,

The real Sunday Bill, a half blood Cherokee, was a Great Great Uncle of mine. He managed to get on the outside of enough corn product to float the proverbial battleship. Never knew of him holding a job. Just played poker for a living. I can remember him, as an old timer, loaning guns to Knott Co. (Jim Mullins's home County) law dawgs during the 1958 coal wars.

Ol Sunday never received many accolades, but was always kind to animals and was a favorite of mine when I was a pup, so I chose to use his name on some internet sites.

Kinda wish I had used his name for my shooting alias, but I've been the generic Cherokee Big Dawg too long to switch, now. ;)

Tjackstephens

Sunday Bill, know what you mean. My Uncle saw a picture of Tom3Persons in an El Paso catalog and I'll have to say I do look a lot like him. He wanted me to change my alias. But like you I've been Texas Jack too long. We do have a lot of Cherokee in our blood line. So ever now and then Texas Jack's twin brother Tom3Persons will show up at a shoot. Of course Tom always shoots dualist. It's a lot of fun. Texas Jack
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

docgoodluck

Sunday Bill welcome to the clan. Glad to see another Ky. posse.

good luck

DOC GOODLUCK
KEEPING THE OLD WEST ALIVE IN MODERN TIMES

French Jack

This is to let you know that I will be hand carrying an application for a Posse Charter to the NCOWS Congress Session this weekend.  Join me in extending a hearty welcome to the Lonesome Pine Pistoleros, and their Terr. Rep., Richard Smith, aka Sunday Bill, aka Cherokee Big Dawg, aka Bad Tom Smith, and I won't name the others.

Three Posses in Kentucky!!! Yippeee!   Hooray!
French Jack

Trap

outstanding news!!
Signing off to head to NE Iowa.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Irish Dave

Extending my hearty welcome .... to the Pistoleros,
....and my congrats to the Bluegrass State.

If we set our path clearly, stay true to our principles and extend our hands in friendship and comaraderie, our growth will come.

The seeds of this, planted months ago, are starting to bear fruit.

It will be great to see the LPP approved and formally welcomed into NCOWS.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Ottawa Creek Bill

We hope to get ours (Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society) approved pending insurance. We finally received the premium application in the mail yesterday. hopefully we will have the $520.00 for the premium within a week or two. I'm mailing out a request for donations from our posse members to be used towards our insurance premium.

Something to think about, is this: There needs to be a better more efficient way for a NCOWS to help a new posse get insurance, we need to be more involved at the national level and not just leave it up to the posse to apply for insurance and go it alone.....this needs to be something that the executive committee is involved in with each new posse.

The way it stands now, the posse has to pay the premium up front and wait for NCOWS to reimburse it...this really needs to be changed.

My proposal is this:
For a new posse that has 12 or more dues paying NCOWS members, The posse initiates the request for a premium application from the insurance provider. The posse fills out the application with the required information and then forwards it to the executive committee for approval and payment to the insurance provider.

A new posse has to pay a charter fee to NCOWS, along with making and buying new targets that can be a great expense within itself.

I know I'll get a response to the effect that , thats the way we've always done it...Well maybe so but NCOWS is changing and this is one item that needs to be changed.

Again....Just me blowing off steam....

Bill

Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Lone Gunman

Quoteand their Terr. Rep., Richard Smith, aka Sunday Bill, aka Cherokee Big Dawg, aka Bad Tom Smith...

It sounds like he could be a Posse all by himself.  ;)

OCB, you might want to consider asking each of the Posse members to just loan the club a few bucks and then reimburse them when the NCOWS check gets there.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Will Ketchum

Quote from: Ottawa Creek Bill on July 26, 2007, 05:38:58 PM
We hope to get ours (Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society) approved pending insurance. We finally received the premium application in the mail yesterday. hopefully we will have the $520.00 for the premium within a week or two. I'm mailing out a request for donations from our posse members to be used towards our insurance premium.

Bill

Gee Bill how did you gt off so cheap?  We just sent ours in and it was over $800.00!

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Sunday Bill

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

We live so far up in the sticks, if yall come down to grouse hunt, we'll have to hunt toward town.  ;) But that aint all bad.

Living so far from organized trap or skeet ranges kinda gives us a captive audience in an area where most folks own a shotgun and take pride in their real or imagined skills with'em. We've done right well with Sunday evening country sporting clays matches and applied every nickel toward insurance.

Quite a few of these folks are showing an interest in becoming NCOWS members and have also attended our "demo matches" using NCOWS rules. Letting them try their hand with NCOWS-approved firearms hasn't hurt, either. I now believe we'll do OK once we get this thing off the ground.

Bringing the Nationals to Hooten may have really helped with awareness of NCOWS in this part of the country as I've heard rumors of yet another posse in the planning stages not too far from here.

Thanks again for everything.

Cherokee

Irish Dave

Cherokee "Sunday Bill" Big Dog:
;)
Hey, seriously, I just wanted to congratulate you folks on your new posse.
I wish we would have had time to formally meet and chat some at Hooten, but I reckon we'll have to make up for it another time. Anyway, there's lots of folks here and about who will be glad to answer any questions or otherwise assist the LPP if at all possible. So welcome to the outfit!!

For those who may not know, The Lonesome Pine Pistoleros was formally approved at last weekend's NCOWS Congress meeting in McGregor, IA, and now is the third NCOWS posse in the Bluegrass State.

We also added new posses in Indiana and Alabama as well.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com