A couple of thoughts on outfits and "Old Time" pictures

Started by Delmonico, July 02, 2007, 11:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

The tintypes we have seen in the last few days are exallant to look at, one thing I noticed about all them are the fact that everyone in them wore clothes that did not blend into each other.  This really helps on these photos wheither they are the true "old time" photos or modern digital that have been sepi toned.  This is something I always point out to folks who are new when they are starting out, because most folks like to have their pictures taken and many often end up sepi toned.  Some combinations do not really work this well even though they will look good in color. 

Just some thoughts to pass along, I hope this helps.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Irish Dave

Quote...clothes that did not blend into each other...

Del:

Seeking a little clarification..
Do you mean as in vests not blending into pants and shirts not blending into vests etc or am 
I missing the point?
Thanks.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Delmonico

Yes that is what I mean, colors show up different in black and white or sepis than they do in color, when clothes are all light or dark colors they tend to blend and are almost lost when the color goes away.  Also patterns help contrast clothing.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Steel Horse Bailey

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Mick Archer

Howdy Pards!

I'm cornfused...

People in the Past color-coded or pattern-coded their clothing to make better photographs, so we need to acquire our clothing from the stand-point of having our pictures taken?

Not cracking wise here, really.  I just don't fully understand the point is all.

Mick Archer
   Confused Posse
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Steel Horse Bailey

As I can't REALLY speak for Glen (Delmonico), I'll hazard a guess:  NO!  Buy what clothes suit you.  He only suggested using contrasting patterns/shades IF you plan to have a B&W or sepia-toned picture taken.  As I'm sure you know, contrasts between dark and light, different patterns and so on will show up better when NON-colour film/tin/etc. is used.  Dark jackets or holsters, for example, can get lost against a dark background.  And so on.

Hope this helps.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Delmonico

Yep, you have it right Jeff, although I'm sure that was often taken into consideration in pictures by the photographer and the photo-eee.  I offer this because I have seen and had taken photos when black and whited or sepied, do not have that desired affect one wants.  Even color photos don't always come out like folks want when color isn't considered.

With the amount of folks getting the original tintypes one might want to consider how it will look in the end before getting it done.  Just take a black and white digital and look at it, won't be exact but it will give you a good idea.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Books OToole

"Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
removes the colors from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide what is right."

I think that applies to old style photography.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Steel Horse Bailey

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Notice in the black and white how the slightly different reds on the braces and the neck rag showed up way different.  I normally don't wear a plain red one because it tends to blend in with my hair in the B&W and Sepi.  But it was about 29 when I started that morning and it was the only silk one I had, although by the time Oscar took the picture I had loosened it on my neck.

Notice how the red on the cupboard shows good in B&W but blends with the green in the sepi.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Mick Archer

Howdy Pards!

Thanks!    ;)  :)

Yes, I once had a bad result wearing black hat, dark and medium blue clothing, with dark leathers- where the wet plate collodion photographer underexposed the image and then his varnish blackened.  I ended up looking like a ninja warrior at midnight on a moonless night.
   But, my clothes were my clothes...   :D

Mick Archer
    Clothes Horse Posee

Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Buffalow Red

so does anyone know what the options were on material avalible in say 1860
cotton
wool
silk
was rayon ( made from cotton i was told) around,& what others were avalible
how about buttons
i found some shell buttons in antique store
was thinking about useing deer antler slices but how did they sclice them probly not on a table saw
any other ideas on buttons
braces: my pattern shows only the style that has only one strap in center rear. but the ones i got when asking for authnitc brases had 2 straps in rear so did they use/have both types
were do we find the ansers
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
  SHOOT STRAIGHT & LETS BURN SOME POWDER
Warthogs rule
Life NRA
SCORRS/ rugers/ 66 in 44-40  , trap door shooter
Southern Mo. Ranger
SASS
BSA SM RETIRED

River City John

Rayon was not really commercially viable until into the 20th century.

As far as the other fabrics you mentioned, they were available in many varied patterns, weaves and colors.
Buttons were shell, bone, glass, metal, gutta percha, wood, ivory, rubber . .

Both double strap and single strap braces were seen, with the double-strapped back having a tendancy to be more common 1860-1880 and the "Y" backed 1880-on, but not a hard and fast rule.

If you are going for a very rural look, then you could use sawn antler buttons. I would use a hacksaw or bandsaw rather than a table saw. The smell will be something fierce, be warned (ever burned fingernail clippings?) They look best on buckskin clothing.
Dixie Gun Works sells those type of buttons already sized and drilled w/ thread holes.

Most clothing sewn of cloth works better with a smaller, more polished button. Easier to fit through the smaller sewn buttonhole in shirts etc.

If you search the archives in this forum and in the Historical forum, these subjects have been covered. There are some good sites offering period fabrics, such as www.periodfabric.com.

Many of the Sutlers offer fairly good products if you want to go store bought. For Civil War it's hard to beat the offerings of James Country Mercantile, www.jamescountry.com. Jean really knows her stuff, and has a good crew.
Early shirts were almost always the pullover type with two, three or four button closure of the neck. Both ones with collar, and the band-type that accepted seperate collars, were seen.

What you did not see were any of the bright, 'electric' dyes. Silk was a rarity for most folk in the CW, and expensive.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Quote from: Buffalow Red on August 15, 2007, 08:54:24 PM
so does anyone know what the options were on material avalible in say 1860
cotton
wool
silk
was rayon ( made from cotton i was told) around,& what others were avalible
how about buttons
i found some shell buttons in antique store
was thinking about useing deer antler slices but how did they sclice them probly not on a table saw
any other ideas on buttons
braces: my pattern shows only the style that has only one strap in center rear. but the ones i got when asking for authnitc brases had 2 straps in rear so did they use/have both types
were do we find the ansers

Well as John said, go back through the forums and look first, but you find it by doing research from multiple sources.  Not wanting to sound harsh, but it looks like some research would be a good place for you to start, simply because although boards are a good place to ask questions they are not always the best places to get all your knowledge because many folks have different opions.  These are often based on their own research which can be different than others.  Also if you ask questions about everything from soup to nuts with out doing some basic research folks will get tired of answering questions.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Books OToole

Rayon is one of the earliest synthetics.  It is actually man-made silk.  It will pass the burn test.
[Nearly all synthetics will melt when burnt; rayon burns and produce an ash just like silk.]

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Delmonico

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Pitspitr

BR
If you're ever in KC and want to see original cloth and clothing go to the Arabia museum.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Lone Gunman

Absolutely Pitspitr,

The Arabia was a supply boat that sank in the Missouri River in 1856 near Kansas City before ever getting to unload any of it's cargo. A couple of rivertowns in Nebraska actually moved across the river to Iowa because they didn't get their supplies because of this wreck. There is no better evidence of what actually existed than seeing the genuine items first hand. See their website by clicking HERE

Donna won't go out in her 19th century finery without her genuine 1856 vintage perfume from the Arabia.  Since it was buried for all those years under all that silt, mud and water there was no oxygen to promote decay of the cargo. For instance, samples of the perfume were sent to International Flavors and Fragrances in New York, where they were analyzed and copied. The IFF believes it to be the oldest intact perfume in the world. The cotton stitching rotted out of the footware but the leather itself is as good as new (and has been re-stiched for the displays). The pickles and brandy have been consumed with no ill effect. Using modern preservation techniques even wooden items have been preserved. There are two rolling pins displayed, the one allowed to dry out in the open is about 1/4" thick, the one treated in the glycol pressure chamber looks like it was made yesterday.

Lastly I'd like to point out that this entire effort has been privately funded from the time the very first shovel of dirt was turned. No taxpayer funding has ever been used. That fact in itself should make it worthy of your visit if you're ever within driving distance of Kansas City. It's a facinating exhibit and story, don't miss it if you have the chance.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com