2 (3.8%)
other
0 (0%)
More than one ?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Major 2

We have a poll for which caliber.
With the numbers of Henry's used as Match guns, I was wondering which Model is the most popular.
when planets align...do the deal !

Deadeye Don

I voted.  I am betting you will find similar percentages here as you would have found back in the day.  Deadeeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Major 2

That was my take as well ....
I have just ordered a Steel Frame, far less were made but I wanted one for a long time.
So I'll have a Mil. Brass & the Steel frame.

I owned a Brass Framed carbine in the early 80's... Great shooter that still used by it's present owner in CAS.

I liked the Kings Conversion ( less the add-on fore stock ) but so few of these were made before the 66 improved , there is little or no
evidence these were in use beyond  manufacturer samples .

Cannon Fodder

I thought that I had sent this through once,but I guess it didnt make it!

45lc,steel,case hardened.

CF             

Long Johns Wolf

Have 2 different model Henries 1860 (brass/military + steel/blue), use both alternating for CAS, shoot .44 Colt only. Poll accepts one vote only, however.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Dusty Morningwood

Entered mine.  It is a Navy Arms Military model rechambered from 44-40 to 44 Special.  Soon to have carrier modified to shoot 44 Russian.   ;D

Major 2

Quote from: Bootsie on June 28, 2007, 10:59:25 AM
Have 2 different model Henries 1860 (brass/military + steel/blue), use both alternating for CAS, shoot .44 Colt only. Poll accepts one vote only, however.
Bootsie

yeah ! I know I tried to fix that....  :-\
it only shows my Mil. brass model

Halfway Creek Charlie

I was on an Winchester site the other day and there is a kings Conversion Henry on that siteI didn't have a chance to read about it but it had a collection number and I think it told where it came from, but I cannot recall the site now.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Ottawa Creek Bill

At present, mine is .45 Long colt.....soon to be .44 Henry Flat ;D ;D ;D

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Silver Creek Slim

I have a civilian brass frame. I like the looks of the military better but the civilian was what was available. I know I can convert it but I have other priorities.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Frenchie

So far, my answer of "Trapper Brass" is still the only one. Btw, I prefer the factory's term, "Special Short Carbine".
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vĂȘtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Tommy tornado

Mine also has a browned barrel instead of blue.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Case Hardened steel. 44-40.

Of course none were ever made with steel frames, none were ever made with case hardening, and none were ever made in 44-40.

That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Driftwood Johnson on July 02, 2007, 11:18:30 PM
Howdy

Case Hardened steel. 44-40.

Of course none were ever made with steel frames, none were ever made with case hardening, and none were ever made in 44-40.

Other than the above you have a historically correct rifle.  ;D   I do have to admit it sure is pretty.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Coffinmaker

Silly poll only let me vote once.  Civilian Brass, Martial Brass, Trapper Brass, Kings Patent Brass, Civilian Brass (white).  I'm saving up for an "Iron Frame" and my Trapper, is a Trapper @ 16 inches.

Coffinmaker

Major 2

Yes Sir , If I knew how to change that I would  ::)

I only listed my Mil. Brass my new Iron Frame is not on the poll  :-[

Flint

Driftwood, not sure what you mean by "None were ever made with a steel frame", technically that's true, they started with an iron frame before they changed to bronze, and in the 1860's hardly any weapons were made of steel, even the first SAA Colts had iron frames, not steel frames.  1873 Winchesters were iron framed.  The 1860 Army Colt had steel cylinders and barrels, but the frames were iron.

The Uberti iron frame (which is steel) is not an Italian invention, it is a repro of the early iron framed Henry.

True they were not 44WCF, they were boith 44 Henry RF and the lifter and forward end of the frame of the Henry and 66 was shorter than the repro, the frame and lifter were lengthened in the 1873 to accommodate the 44WCF cartridge.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Driftwood Johnson

Flint

I meant just what I said. As you say, the earliest Henrys had iron, not steel frames, they were chambered for 44 RF, not 44-40, and of the illustrations that I've seen of iron frame Henrys, there were all blued. I've never seen one with a color case hardened frame.

The malleabe iron that Colt was using for frames and cylinders in the mid 19th Century was iron, it was not steel. Although steel had been known for many hundreds, maybe thousands of years, the Bessemer process had been developed in England in the 1850s, but wide spread use of relatively cheap steel was still not common. When we say the early Henrys and Winchesters had iron frames, I have to assume they were made of malleable iron.
That's bad business! How long do you think I'd stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he'd pay me that much to stop robbing him, I'd stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Tuolumne Lawman

Steel frame, case hardened, 44-40 fitted with military model swivels from Uberti before VTI took over parts.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Ransom Gaer

Mine is a Civilian Brass Frame.  It's what I could get at the time.  Even if it ain't a military version it's still a great rifle.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com