Tom Selleck's Army 1860 'Cable'

Started by Henry4440, June 18, 2007, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delmonico

Lack of posts dosn't mean lack of opinion or knowledge.  Wasn't there a movie one time the ads for it said to keep repeating to yerself, "It's only a movie." ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

St. George

According to his biography - Selleck was in the California Army National Guard and was activated for the Watts riots.

He was an 11B - Infantryman - which alone is enough to make 'me' like him...

That said - Selleck, Costner, Berenger and Eastwood all strive to bring out a 'good' Western that's true to the era portrayed.

The sad fact of the matter is that folks will always find fault with minutae, and as has been stated - most folks wouldn't be able to stay awake if there wasn't some form of 'artistic license'...

Sit back and look at the historic quality of the Western since 'The Unforgiven' was screened.

They're getting better and better, and have long since eclipsed their predecessors.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Trinity

Quote from: 65bsaA65 on June 26, 2007, 02:50:09 PM
I've been reading this series of posts with great interest.  Like the man said, I've got no dog in this fight, so I can't take a postiion on the historical accuracy of the piece.  That being said, it's a beautiful gun, and whearas I might not part with my left **t for it, a couple of teeth wouldn't be a bad price/premium to pay.  I like Tom Selleck westerns; Selleck in particular (as opposed to most of the Hollywood intellegentsia iis staunch supporter of our Second Ammendment rights, and a combat veteran of 'Nam.  That gives him beau coup credibilty in my eyes, even if he couldn't act.  He can.  Like a bunch of other pards have said, it's just a movie.  Speaking of which, wasn't there an earlier version called "The Ballad of Cable Hogue?  And, oh yeah, I think I've got less than 20 posts, so I guess I'm in the peanut gallery.

Welcome 65bsaA65!

Different Cable. ;D  An odd yet still enjoyable movie.  Jason Robards is great!

Hey, I've got more posts than some and I still call the peanut gallery home.  However, sometimes I venture out to see whose making an arse out of themselves. ;D ;D

St. George, I'm in 100 percent agreement.  I periodically check IMDB to see if the next Selleck and/or Costner western is in production.  Sadly, none yet. :(  Berenger is another good one, I wish "Peacemakers" had panned out.  Yeah, it was a little corny, but still good.

I have always loved most of Eastwood's westerns (My first western love was of the spaghettis) and would not hesitate to go watch a new one of his if he were to make one.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Major 2

I add Sam Elliot to that group ... & Tommy Lee Jones
and honorable mention Thomas Haydon Church if he choses to do more westerns .

Robert Duvall is in class by himself
when planets align...do the deal !

Trinity

I decided to leave my post at just those actors mentioned, but yours are also Top Notch!  I really enjoyed Church in Broken Trail and hope he does more.

I think that I've liked everything that I've seen Duvall in.  Well, there was that movie THX 1138.  It was a little wierd. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Delmonico

Can't remember his name but that young guy from that Beverly Hills 90210 show did a thought a good job in The Johnson County War. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

St. George

Probably should add Robert Duvall and maybe even Kurt Russell to the list, then.

The above-named actors 'all' bring a sense of time and place to their work in Westerns, and there need to be more of them made.

Hollywood never thinks that they'll make money - but they do - much to their amazement.

Even though - from what I understand - financing a Western is always an uphill battle.

I'm glad that the tide turned with 'The Unforgiven', though - it surely opened the doors to a greater 'realism' in film.

You know - if it weren't for guys like these - with their grasp of history and the 'star power' to insist on it - there probably wouldn't be Open-Tops, Sharps, Spencers, Henrys and Schofields being shot every weekend...

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Delmonico

Even the old B grade westerns turned out by the dozens in a weeks shooting and the many westerns that were on TV every night of the week when we were kids, kept the interest in the west alive even if the historical accuracy was not much.  Just knowing that there was interesting stuff happening in this area in this time period lead many of us to study it more to learn what really happened.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

RRio

Quote from: 65bsaA65 on June 26, 2007, 02:50:09 PM
  Speaking of which, wasn't there an earlier version called "The Ballad of Cable Hogue?  And, oh yeah, I think I've got less than 20 posts, so I guess I'm in the peanut gallery.

Yes. It was filmed in the town that I used to run in '79 & '80. Apacheland Movie Ranch. Burned to the ground a couple years back.  :'(
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Henry4440

The Revolver is at the moment at the Rock Island Auction.
Estimated Price: $10,000 - $20,000

;)

Deadeye Don

Fine looking gun for sure, but if I am going to spend that much on a gun I would like it to be an orginal with historical and not just film making value.   I wonder if anybody does grip engraving just like that.  That picture of Cable  would look great in my gun room! 
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Fox Creek Kid

I'd post a photo of me wearing my conversions but I don't want to make Tom Selleck look like a little girl!!  ;D :o :D ;)

Deadeye Don

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on March 25, 2008, 11:09:17 AM
I'd post a photo of me wearing my conversions but I don't want to make Tom Selleck look like a little girl!!  ;D :o :D ;)

Well heck FCK,  I may want to put your picture in my gun room too.  ;D

Henry4440

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on March 25, 2008, 11:09:17 AM

Ok FCk, where is that pic, that T.Selleck let looks like a little girl ? ;D

;)

Fox Creek Kid

OK, I warned you.  ;) ;D

Deadeye Don

FCK,   No wonder you are so ornery,  its all those steriods you have been injecting. ;D

Did Aaalnold make a western?

Deadeye Dick

DD,
No, I think he's just getting ready to run California. Either that or FCK is in the family tree. :) :) :)
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Trinity

Quote from: Deadeye Don on March 25, 2008, 04:45:40 PM
FCK,   No wonder you are so ornery,  its all those steriods you have been injecting. ;D

Did Aaalnold make a western?

Yes.  It was by no means a classic despite the big names. ;D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080097/

Delmonico

Deadeye, hang this in your gunroom.

You are coming to the muster in Oct ain't ya?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

TomT

Well, I wish that these threads would have been available quite a while ago.

I sent Mr. Howell an original Sharps barrel and receiver, which he inspected and was going to rebuild into an 1869 transition period business rifle for me. He came highly recommended and the terms seemed to be reasonable; 50% down and balance on delivery - take about 1 year to build, more if I bugged him. So I sent him a check for $1,200 to get started.

Well, that was in August of 1999 - and I'm still waiting for my rifle. I never got the "receipt and build agreement" sent to me either.

While Mr. Howell was available on the phone back then, about 2001 he stopped being available and I always talked to his wife. And she stopped being available over a year ago. I have since heard that she has passed on, which I am sorry to hear and wish Mr. Howelll my sincerest condolences. His wife was always a pleasure to talk to and tried to give me some indication of what was happening - we talked just frequently enough that she was often able to recognize my voice after I said 'hello'.

If anyone has an idea about how I might contact Mr. Howell, I would be very appreciative of their help.

Tom Tilley
NRA Member (Patron)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com