Tom Selleck's Army 1860 'Cable'

Started by Henry4440, June 18, 2007, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Creek Kid

My take on Kenny Howell. Years ago I owned a Type II Richards made by him............for one day. It was a complete POS. The barrel slugged at 0.421 and the chambers were 0.435!!!!! To top it off, the bore was LOPSIDED!!! How's that, you say? It seems as if the barrel was lined and the liner had been pounded in thereby damaging the bore. The man I bought it from told me AFTER I bought it from him that he had hounded Kenny for approx. THREE YEARS to finish this gun and when he did get it that he had to send it back TWO TIMES as the work was so poor. Harvey Lane, the former mgr. for Cimarron, had two guns with him for YEARS waiting for the work to be done. Ray, the owner of Rapine Bullet Moulds, threatened Kenny with legal action as he refused to send back a gun sent to him for conversion after THREE YEARS!! These were told to me FIRST HAND BY THESE INDIVIDUALS. It is not therefore speculation. Finally, Jim Boeke of River Jct. Trade Co. told me in person of several others in the same boat. It's obvious that Mr. Howell is not a businessman. I know him. He's a very affable man in person, but I would not send him one dime BEFORE seeing the finished product. That's why I don't
"ooh & ahhh" over Kenny Howell.

W.T.

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 23, 2007, 10:19:40 PM
My take on Kenny Howell. Years ago I owned a Type II Richards made by him............for one day. It was a complete POS. The barrel slugged at 0.421 and the chambers were 0.435!!!!! To top it off, the bore was LOPSIDED!!! How's that, you say? It seems as if the barrel was lined and the liner had been pounded in thereby damaging the bore. The man I bought it from told me AFTER I bought it from him that he had hounded Kenny for approx. THREE YEARS to finish this gun and when he did get it that he had to send it back TWO TIMES as the work was so poor. Harvey Lane, the former mgr. for Cimarron, had two guns with him for YEARS waiting for the work to be done. Ray, the owner of Rapine Bullet Moulds, threatened Kenny with legal action as he refused to send back a gun sent to him for conversion after THREE YEARS!! These were told to me FIRST HAND BY THESE INDIVIDUALS. It is not therefore speculation. Finally, Jim Boeke of River Jct. Trade Co. told me in person of several others in the same boat. It's obvious that Mr. Howell is not a businessman. I know him. He's a very affable man in person, but I would not send him one dime BEFORE seeing the finished product. That's why I don't

Geez, mine's really nice

Major 2

so is mine.... I have to ask , though Kid ...

"... The man I bought it from told me AFTER I bought it from him that he had hounded Kenny for approx. THREE YEARS to finish this gun and when he did get it that he had to send it back TWO TIMES as the work was so poor. "

This guy sold you a POS ....and told you after the sale .... and your take on that is he is trust worthy.  :-\

I can also provide testimonials ... in favor of Kenny's work....

when planets align...do the deal !

Wild Ben Raymond

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 23, 2007, 10:19:40 PM
Well, all I can say is I agree that Mr. Howell is quite slow at getting out any work now a days, as I too had to wait for him to rework my 60' army to make it a U.S. Richards. Not much was needed to be done as all it was missing was the proper stamped markings, roll engraved cylinder and a re-blue job. It took nearly 3 years but the work was done right and I was happy with it. I also owned 2 open tops done by him that were very well made, but they are now owned by Platte River Jack and he is happy with them. Of course I didn't threaten Mr. Howell with legal action either, you know what they say about, if you complain about the food and send it back to the chef. :o WBR ;)

Fox Creek Kid

Quote...and your take on that is he is trust worthy.

Majoe, I never mentioned my opinion of the seller as it wasn't germaine to the issue at hand. He quickly made good on the deal if you want to know.

Fox Creek Kid

RRio

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 23, 2007, 11:26:22 PM
Make that Major.

You do know that you can make an edit, by pressing the "Modify" button in your own post, don't you?
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Dusty Morningwood

Somebody's got their majoe workin' this morning!   ;D 

Major 2

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 23, 2007, 11:24:54 PM
Majoe, I never mentioned my opinion of the seller as it wasn't germaine to the issue at hand. He quickly made good on the deal if you want to know.

I'm glad you were not left holding the bag

Delmonico

Quote from: Rawhide Rio on June 24, 2007, 12:51:12 AM
You do know that you can make an edit, by pressing the "Modify" button in your own post, don't you?

You can also click on the pencil and paper on the side and modify test only, or insert a hosting site link if you forgot it in the original text.  This button works faster but you can't add these from the post tool bar. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :o :o :o :o :o :D ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Trinity

Ya can if you memorized the "codes"  ;D ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Delmonico

Yer right I read about that in some magazine somewhere. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Trinity

I have that magazine in my library.  It's volume 1527.  First printing!!!  I know the printmaster personally. ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Deadeye Dick

FYI, just ordered the movie through Amazon for $8.00 + $2.98 shipping.
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Delmonico

Quote from: Deadeye Dick on June 24, 2007, 02:33:16 PM
FYI, just ordered the movie through Amazon for $8.00 + $2.98 shipping.

But Dick, it should be more than "just a movie" and they messed it up. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Fox Creek Kid

Maybe there's a photo of Cable Hogue in the Solomon D. Butcher collection.  ;D

Delmonico

No as we have been trying to explain to you it's only a movie.  And the makers don't really care what you think. ;D  As for the Butcher collection a person with a hunk of paper sayin' they is eddycated would most likey understand how valuble it is, but know you'd rather spend yer time making snide remarks everywhere.  Been amusing to watch on this thread. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Major 2

I have made a fair career in films , I have tried to do my very best in Historical research in designing my sets.
When I was called to oversee Props or build them , I would do my darnedest to get it right.
I can tell you many of the crew have the same desire to get it right.
I was called for "Gods & Generals", mistakes were made by the Designer & Art Directors.
One set, The Train Station at Guinea (B&O railroad in Baltimore) was a obvious anachronism , a very nice mid- Victorian era Train Depot designed set...
that would not have existed in 1862-63...
The set was built, the money spent, it looked great on camera... Historical accuracy not withstanding... my job was to advise... they did not take the advise. On another purpose built set the windows & roof shingles were WRONG era ...again I advised....
Though, they did listen other times.... the windows & shingles remained incorrect.

The point is, it is a movie , not a history lesson .... Great strides are made to "get it right" but
a man once said " Hollywood would never let history get in the way of a good story "

Delmonico

Too much history will make a movie that we would like but would flop because the rest of the world would not pay to see it, heck most of us might not if it was too correct and boring, if they don't make money, they don't make them, but most of us are the same way, how many would go to work if they didn't make money.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

65bsaA65

I've been reading this series of posts with great interest.  Like the man said, I've got no dog in this fight, so I can't take a postiion on the historical accuracy of the piece.  That being said, it's a beautiful gun, and whearas I might not part with my left **t for it, a couple of teeth wouldn't be a bad price/premium to pay.  I like Tom Selleck westerns; Selleck in particular (as opposed to most of the Hollywood intellegentsia iis staunch supporter of our Second Ammendment rights, and a combat veteran of 'Nam.  That gives him beau coup credibilty in my eyes, even if he couldn't act.  He can.  Like a bunch of other pards have said, it's just a movie.  Speaking of which, wasn't there an earlier version called "The Ballad of Cable Hogue?  And, oh yeah, I think I've got less than 20 posts, so I guess I'm in the peanut gallery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com