Tom Selleck's Army 1860 'Cable'

Started by Henry4440, June 18, 2007, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry4440

Tom Sellecks Army 1860 from the movie 'Last Stand at Saber River.
Now to see in the NRA National Firearms Museum

;)

Highlander999

Now, that's a work of art.  Love the conversions, and esp this one.
"I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch" ("Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor", Earl of Montrose), "What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good"
                     (Rob Roy)

HANCOCK

THAT'S the grips that I was asking about a while back. (Kinda wide ,shallow checkered ones). Does anyone know if a guy might be able to buy those somewhere "off the shelf"  ???

Thanks
HANCOCK

Deadeye Don

Thanks for sharing those pictures.  Everytime I see that movie I get goose bumps when the conversion first makes an appearance.  There are actually alot of fine firearms in that movie.  For all you Spencer fans you must see this movie if you havent already.  Safe shooting.
Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Coffinmaker

Notice that swell front sight!!!

Coffinmaker

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: HANCOCK on June 18, 2007, 05:07:45 PMTHAT'S the grips that I was asking about a while back. (Kinda wide ,shallow checkered ones). Does anyone know if a guy might be able to buy those somewhere "off the shelf"  ???
Any grips would need fitting. You could get plain Gripmaker grips and file the cross-hatching in with a checkering file or even just a small hand file.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Long Johns Wolf

Gripmaker, are you out there: will you make us grip panels with cuts like the ones on Tom Seleck's pistol?
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Bootsie on June 20, 2007, 02:28:54 AM
Gripmaker, are you out there: will you make us grip panels with cuts like the ones on Tom Seleck's pistol?
Bootsie
Use the link in my previous post and see if he will. It does look good.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Fox Creek Kid

I saw this gun in person in 2000 and spoke with Kenny Howell and admonished him for using a four screw frame. Usually, he filled up the holes on these for an authentic Richards but he was in a hurry to make this one for Hollywood. There were no four screw Richards civilian conversions. Other than the four screw frame and lack of roll engraving it's a great gun. Personally, I like Ottawa Creek Bill's gun better.  ;)

Wild Ben Raymond

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 20, 2007, 11:10:38 AM
I saw this gun in person in 2000 and spoke with Kenny Howell and admonished him for using a four screw frame. Usually, he filled up the holes on these for an authentic Richards but he was in a hurry to make this one for Hollywood. There were no four screw Richards civilian conversions. Other than the four screw frame and lack of roll engraving it's a great gun. Personally, I like Ottawa Creek Bill's gun better.  ;)
First off maybe you should go back and watch the movie again because the conversion wasn't done by the Colt Factory but his father inlaw whom was a master gunsmith. Besides Colt could not produce the Richards conversions untill 1871 or so and the movie takes place right after the end of the war. But this did not stop a blacksmith from doing a conversion himself, the way Colt was prevented by the Rollin white patent on the bored through cylinder was. So in the end a blacksmith conversion of a 60' army could have the 4 screw frame and be cut for shoulder stock which most all of the 60' Army Richards were not with the exception of the U.S. Richards made for the army. WBR

Fox Creek Kid

I saw the movie, Steve. So how does a remote TX gunsmith configure up a 1st Model Richards ring SIX years before C.B. Richards at Colt? Probably the same screenwriter who had them "smuggling" guns into the Confederacy via TX when Texas WAS Confederate for the entire war.  ::) Poorly researched movie IMO.

bobwill

I've thought that was weird ever since I saw that movie, which was only a few months ago, after seeing a copy at Sam's Club for like $5.
I also thought that it was weird that Alan Rickman's character in Quigley Down Under had a cap & ball 1860, even though Quigley had a customized Sharps 1874.  I mean, yeah, the 1860 was very common; but, given how Rickman was playing a very rich person and seemed to be a gun enthusiast, you'd expect him to have the latest and greatest.

Dusty Morningwood

Quote from: bobwill on June 20, 2007, 05:34:48 PM
I've thought that was weird ever since I saw that movie, which was only a few months ago, after seeing a copy at Sam's Club for like $5.
I also thought that it was weird that Alan Rickman's character in Quigley Down Under had a cap & ball 1860, even though Quigley had a customized Sharps 1874.  I mean, yeah, the 1860 was very common; but, given how Rickman was playing a very rich person and seemed to be a gun enthusiast, you'd expect him to have the latest and greatest.
Yeah, that scene chaps my a**!  >:(  He talks about Colt's invention as if it was a new thing - a good forty years after the fact!!! 

Halfway Creek Charlie

Well he did refer to the Sharps as an "Experimental Gun with experimental ammunition" Just told that some people thought that the metallic cartridge was a fad. Q's reply told how he felt. "Some would say so."

Lots of p[eople didn't ever make the change to cartridge guns. And.......New technology was slow making it to Austrailia for sure.

The Gunsmith had heard of the Sharps, but Q had to tell him how to make the Chartridges or the brass. and the gun the Smith gave Q was a C & B single shot pistol.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

litl rooster

Quote from: Seth Hawkins on June 20, 2007, 08:39:03 AM
Anyone know who did the engraving on the Army and the Henry?

Cable's Guns

according to the Rep from NRA when I seen them,(now I may have the wrong gun) The pistol was engraved and delieverd to the set when it was time to pay the bill, no one knew who to pay. No one come forward with a bill afterwords either.  I viewed them a week or two after the American Rifleman featured them.   modified, I believe I first seen them in my wifes copy of 1st Freedom
Mathew 5.9

litl rooster

Quote from: Dusty Morningwood on June 20, 2007, 06:13:02 PM
Yeah, that scene chaps my a**!  >:(  He talks about Colt's invention as if it was a new thing - a good forty years after the fact!!! 

most of SASS pards over there are still shooting them...It's a movie
Mathew 5.9

Marshal Deadwood

John Wesley Hardin was still carrying an 1860Army c and b when he was arrested in 1877. (or so I read  just last night,,if it was 'not' a website folklore thing)

Not sure how that plays on Quigley,,just thought id toss it in.

I see that the c and b revolver did not drop below the radar with the coming of cartridges.

One 1860Army attributed to Jesse James was dropped behind during one of their bank raids,,,,,,,,(I must say I can not recall the year OR the bank raid at this moment)

Marshal Deadwood

Dusty Morningwood

Quote from: litl rooster on June 20, 2007, 06:48:23 PM

most of SASS pards over there are still shooting them...It's a movie

My main point is that by that time. revolvers of all kinds were very common in Australia.  It was, afterall, a giant prison and had large military forces as well.  Trantors, Adams and Webleys were certainly available, and I can't imagine a wealthy rancher marveling at a 51 Navy - not that they aren't great pistols - as something particularly exciting.  But artistic license has to be given.

Tommy tornado

Or some of the Henchmen using .44 caliber Colt Navies with Brass Frames!!!  That is why they call it Hollyweird.  In Ride with the Devil, some of the Confederates are using Brass Framed Remingtons, something that never existed until the Italians started making them.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Fox Creek Kid

Actually, there were Confederate copies of the WHITNEY revolver & not the Remington, albeit extremely rare and totally over-represented out of proportion in "Ride With the Devil." Many of the historical advisors tried to tell the director Mr. Ang this but he wouldn't listen.  ::)

http://www.csarmory.org/spiller/page2.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com