Buffalo Hunter's Camp Lighting, Redux

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, June 12, 2007, 08:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gw

So....................while it appears we have at least some well documented buffalo camp lighting sources, and some perhaps yet to be documented, what say we wrap this up(with the permission of Mr. Hunt of course!) to pursue other issues in buffalo camp. Like accidentally flopping on a pritch stick. A what??? :o   Start diggin boys! ;D
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Delmonico

Sorry, I'd shoot a few of those for ya GW, but you can skin them, woops, did I give a hint? ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

gw

Quote from: Delmonico on August 05, 2007, 06:55:01 PM
Sorry, I'd shoot a few of those for ya GW, but you can skin them, woops, did I give a hint? ;)
Just enough to keep it interesting! ;D
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Delmonico

They also want to make sure they have plenty of arsenic on hand also. :o  But not for yer "bite" it ain't fast enough, strychnine is better for that.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John

Alright, I'll hazard a guess. Porcupine?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Quote from: River City John on August 06, 2007, 10:33:02 AM
Alright, I'll hazard a guess. Porcupine?

If yer talkin' about the stick, I guess you could, but not the reason, as for the arsenic, nope. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

River City John

Well, through guessing.
And google only hints that it is something used to help roll the hide back off a carcass as you skin.
Well that's as clear as mud.

I'll await the answer.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Delmonico

Quote from: River City John on August 06, 2007, 11:05:21 AM
Well, through guessing.
And google only hints that it is something used to help roll the hide back off a carcass as you skin.
Well that's as clear as mud.

I'll await the answer.

Looks to me like you have it, we'll wait for GW, to see if he's good to go, that's what I know it as.  You do have some of yer arsenic disolved in water don't ya?  Can't use a spray bottle, even though it would be easier. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

gw

Ok, to make this short(about 3 1/2 ft.) and sweet(no yodeling now!) from page 185 in the Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners, section on John L. Doss---" Each skinner carried a skinner's knife and a ripper knife, a sharpening steel and a three and one half feet long "pritch stick" with a sharp nail in the end. It's use was to prop the animal on it's back while skinning. One end of the stick would rest on the ground and the end with the nail was placed in the hide in back of the animal's shoulder."
      As for arsenic and strychnine, there are many references in this one book for their uses. I'm sure if Del would hum a few lines from that old tune we all know so well, or maybe RCJ would yodel it for us, the answers would be crystal clear.

"Who's afraid of the big bad ______"

SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Delmonico

The sprinkled the hides in summer with a solution of it to keep the bugs from eatin' holes in the hide.  Was another type of posion they used but not sure what it was, just seen it referanced as "South American Bug Posion.  I can't seem to find my copy of Wayne Gard's book anywhere, it may be on loan to Slim, either that or a Labrador hid it like he did my wife's credit cards.  At least he brought those back when he was out of rawhides, a story better suited for the Lab forum. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Lone Gunman

Quote from: Delmonico on August 06, 2007, 06:27:12 PM
They sprinkled the hides in summer with a solution of it to keep the bugs from eatin' holes in the hide.

Well, this is just disturbing.  :-\

I spent quite a bit of time this past weekend perusing several of my pre-1899 books, along with a couple of books available for reading online, looking for references to the original topic, i.e. lighting.   During that search I distinctly remember reading an account of the hunters tolerating the company of skunks in their camps specifically because they were drawn there by, and were eating, the beetles that were a threat to the hides. It specifically mentioned a rabid skunk attacking the thumb of a sleeping man who had to beat the skunk to death before it would turn loose.

Now that this very thing has been mentioned...I can't find it again.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Delmonico

Try Marie Sandoz's "The Buffalo Hunters."  I think that is where you read about it. ;)  Skunks like bugs, most likely also they didn't mind the smell of Buffalo Hunters.  :P ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Silver Creek Slim

Quote from: Delmonico on August 06, 2007, 06:27:12 PM
I can't seem to find my copy of Wayne Gard's book anywhere, it may be on loan to Slim, either that or a Labrador hid it like he did my wife's credit cards.  At least he brought those back when he was out of rawhides, a story better suited for the Lab forum. ;D
I don't have it, must be the lab.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Lone Gunman

Quote from: Delmonico on August 06, 2007, 09:13:21 PM
Try Marie Sandoz's "The Buffalo Hunters."  I think that is where you read about it. ;) 

By golly that's it Del. It's on page 131:

Quote from: The Buffalo Hunters:Usually the skunks were harmless...even sociable creatures...like stray dogs, eating the beetles around the hide piles...

I'm sure there's an important lesson here  ::)  My copy of The Buffalo Hunters is a softcover from University of Nebraska Press, the others I'd skimmed over this past weekend were hardcover first edition books of comparatively high value. When looking back through them tonight I'd forgotten about the 'cheap' Sandoz book.

Of course, if anyone hasn't guessed it, the lesson is "don't judge a book by it's cover (in this case 'soft').   ;D

Delmonico

I don't remember when I bought my copy but in very shaky hand writing it says A.L. Carman, 1977 in the front cover,which means my grandpa Addison Carman borrowed it and read it in 1977.

Now I need to look some more for that other book, there is a picture of a buffalo hunters camp in it and I'm 99% sure there was one of those foot powered grindstones in it, I know grindstones are meantioned from time to time on the gear included for buffalo camps.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Lone Gunman

Quote from: Delmonico on August 06, 2007, 10:38:14 PM... I'm 99% sure there was one of those foot powered grindstones in it,

I don't think that would be germane to the topic...now if it turns out to be a picture of a  foot powered generator to supply power to those cutting edge electric camp lights...well, that would be different.  8)

Ol Gabe

OK, help me out here Pards,
I recall reading in an earlier post, somewhere, sometime, recently, about one of our own folks (M. J. Brass or Mr. Hunt?) having the same thing happen at this years Natls. in Hooten as L.G. commented on, "...remember reading an account of the hunters tolerating the company of skunks in their camps specifically because they were drawn there by, and were eating, the beetles that were a threat to the hides. It specifically mentioned a rabid skunk attacking the thumb of a sleeping man who had to beat the skunk to death before it would turn loose."
Now, I kinda-sorta remember reading that our Pard woke to find them nosing under his hide, right? Er, that is the Buff hide he was sleeping on/under. This might be a good time to reiterate that happenstance to 'document' it and lock it in as 'True'.
At any rate, this has been a great thread and loaded with interesting information and discussion, thanks to all!
Best regards and "Pass the Pritch Stick!"
'Ol Gabe

Delmonico

I hope that one of them had a madstone just in case that skunk turned out to be rabid.  I know any such bite was cauterized, I always carry a running iron lid lifter that I could use if someone got bit. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Quote from: Lone Gunman on August 06, 2007, 11:01:53 PM
I don't think that would be germane to the topic...now if it turns out to be a picture of a  foot powered generator to supply power to those cutting edge electric camp lights...well, that would be different.  8)

George if one is gonna light up the camp by any means, you want to make sure said camp has all the equipment in it that documentation says such a camp should have. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Delmonico

Well I blamed the dog, but I doubt he put the book in the box in the attic. ::)

I wish the pictures were a little bit better quality, but for what they are worth, here they are.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com