Another New Stamp - The Finished Product

Started by Marshal Will Wingam, May 28, 2007, 08:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, anyone who frequents the gunsmithing forum will see that I screwed up and ponted this over there, thinking I was on this forum.  :D

I liked the border on one of the holsters in Packing Iron (page 102, bottom) so I decided to make one similar to it. It's correct for the period I'm using for my leather and outfits. My new holsters will have this pattern on them. It took a couple hours of filing and such to make the stamp. Now I have it and have already stamped the border on my holsters. I'll be somewhat busy for the next week or two, but will have them made soon. Here's a pic showing the pattern.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Irish Dave

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

crossdraw

Marshal
I am impressed with the detail you are able to get with files, What kind are you using?
After reading your previous post I made a few stamps. Mine don't have the fine detail that yours have they are just basic shapes such as half moon, diamond, horseshoe, single bar and round with a dimple in the center. The one I like the most was made from a 12 point aircraft bolt, all I had to do was file off some markings on the head and it was ready to use. I used the 12 point on my cuffs and will post a picture when they are finished.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Silver Creek Slim

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: crossdraw on May 29, 2007, 07:39:30 AMI am impressed with the detail you are able to get with files, What kind are you using?
After reading your previous post I made a few stamps. Mine don't have the fine detail that yours have they are just basic shapes such as half moon, diamond, horseshoe, single bar and round with a dimple in the center. The one I like the most was made from a 12 point aircraft bolt, all I had to do was file off some markings on the head and it was ready to use. I used the 12 point on my cuffs and will post a picture when they are finished.
Most of my work is with a fine, 8" flat file. It's almost new and it only gets use on fine finish work. Other than that, I do have a set of swiss files for fine work. The small score across the center of the "X" was made with the corner of that flat file. The secret is to have good files with fine teeth and nice, square corners. I have a couple files that never see steel, they're only used on aluminum. When I need a new file for fine work, I'll take one of those and replace it. You can do the same thing with good tools. I had to do that tip twice because I took too much off on one stroke and had to start with more material. Even at that, it only took about two hours to get it right. After it gets close to what I want, I keep a piece of cased leather next to me and I make a stroke with the file then test it, another stroke and test, etc. I prefer rusty bolts because after wire brushing, they have a texture to the shank and I don't have to knerl or texture it.

And, yes, We need to see the finished items. ;D

Quote from: Irish Dave on May 28, 2007, 09:26:15 PMI like it.
Quote from: Silver Creek Slim on May 29, 2007, 10:32:33 AMGreat job!
Thanks, pards.

Johnny McCrae

Beautiful job! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

OK, Pards, here's the finished product. When I make another pair I will do the border a little further from the edge, otherwise it looks good. The holsters are Dodge city ones that I copied from page 101 in packing Iron and the border is from the same era, which I've explained before. The holsters were dyed with Nolan Sacket's formula for vinegar and steel wool, neutralized with baking soda and water and finished up with a light coat of olive oil. The belt was not done this way as you can see by the un-dyed back, but I needed a belt for the photo so I grabbed what was handy. The copper rivets are correct for the era, as well. I will get to use them at our match in two weeks.

Irish Dave

Very nice job, Will, head to toe.
That's a good lookin' piece of work.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Dave. It was fun to do. I guess I'll have to make a brown pair next. With the minor changes.

Johnny McCrae

That is beautiful work Marshall !

Thank you for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Marshal Will Wingam

Thanks, Johnny. I'm looking at making a third one wo I can put the other ideas to rest. Yeah, THAT'S a good excuse. ;D

Cooleemee Edd

That is purdy work!!  I'll be glad to get home to the land of nice leather and tools so I can do a little tooling also. :D
SASS #68719
SBSS 1944
Prayer Posse

I've often been told "Quit while you're ahead." But I'm not ahead, so I guess I won't quit!

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Cooleemee Edd on June 27, 2007, 04:43:30 AMI'll be glad to get home to the land of nice leather and tools so I can do a little tooling also. :D
:D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com