Help with 66 yellowboy. having misfires.

Started by knucklehead, May 27, 2007, 12:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucklehead

first i shoot black powder in my 66.

my 66 is a 45lc and has the short strock kit installed and action job done to it.

I am using mag tech large pistol and winchester large pistol primers.
each set of 10 shots yesterday i was getting at least 1 round that would not fire the first time the hammer fell on it.
i had to recock and then the round would go off.
i have been turning the screw under the lever on the rifle to the right about a 1/8" of a turn. but this is not helping.

the rifle has had less than 1000 rounds shot threw it so i dont think the firing pin is bad.
any suggestions as to what i can look at to fix this problem.

thanks in advance.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Pettifogger

I'm a little confused about your rifle.  The 66 does NOT have a mainspring tension screw like a 73.  If you can turn the screw that is holding in the mainspring, then that means it isn't tightened all the way.  Tighten it.  That screw should not not be loose.  If it is tight, then whoever did your action job may have lightened the spring to much.  Also, which primers are giving you the problem?  I have some foreign large pistol primers that are hard as rocks.  Nothing will set them off short of a stiff factory spring.

knucklehead

Quote from: Pettifogger on May 28, 2007, 11:21:09 AM
I'm a little confused about your rifle.  The 66 does NOT have a mainspring tension screw like a 73.  If you can turn the screw that is holding in the mainspring, then that means it isn't tightened all the way.  Tighten it.  That screw should not not be loose.  If it is tight, then whoever did your action job may have lightened the spring to much.  Also, which primers are giving you the problem?  I have some foreign large pistol primers that are hard as rocks.  Nothing will set them off short of a stiff factory spring.

I had problems with both mag tech and winchester primers
Thanks for clearing that up on the screw not being a tension screw. The screw was definity not tightned all the way.
I tightened up the screw and cleaned the bolt and firing pin real good. the problem went away. I took it out to the woods yesterday and fired 100 rounds without one misfire.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Goody

"The 66 does NOT have a mainspring tension screw like a 73". Well, yes and no. The early ones I believe did, now they don't. Or vice versa. Anyway, you were right on this particular gun, he's up and running, and that's a good thing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com