Round versus sharp beaded lines

Started by Flinch Morningwood, May 14, 2007, 03:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flinch Morningwood

As I construct some holsters, I am having trouble making a nice beaded line around the interior of the leather...the bead (or double line), for example, that a "Cheyenne" style holster has around the front-facing side with tooling on either side.

I have seen some really nice, smooth, rounded examples posted here...mine have sharp edges and I can't figure out how to smooth them out.  I have found an "bevel crease" tool on-line but, at $50+, want to (a) see if thats the right tool and (b) find out  if there is another way to do it.

In case I haven't described it correctly, I have attached a picture...the bottom example is more what I am striving for...

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

Marshal Will Wingam

A bevel is normally used to give a three-dimensional look to your tooling. Seldom do you bevel both sides. There is a double bevel, but it impresses the leather too much for what you want. There's a tool called a "modeler" for hand molding things. You may be able to run that around for that purpose. I have one that I've used for similar effect. Here's a link to Siegel where you can find some, although Tandy should have them, too. It would pay to call them and explain exactly what you want to do with it so you get the right tool.

http://www.siegelofca.com/view_cat_product.asp?id=34

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Slowhand Bob

Horseshoe Brand sells a nice little single beader but the price is high and it is a small size.  I would like to see them come out with something in a full eighth or three sixteeth but perhaps the demand is to small.  Hidecrafters does sell these type blades for use in your swivel knife but you will have to pass your own judgement on them!   

E.R.Beaumont

Howdy Pards and Pardettes.

Al Pard, what you need is a tool called, variously, a compass or a divider or a caliper.  It has two points attached at one end,with a lockable adjuster to keep the points the same distance apart.  You can hold one point at the edge and scribeing a line a uniform distance from the edge.  Then you can either reset the distance between the points and scribe a second line also using the edge, or reset and use the first line as a guide.

Tandy also has an ajustable edge creaser.

That is all I think I know.
Regards, Beaumont

SASS Life#21319
NRA Life, Endowment
CCRKBA Life

cowboywc

What you are looking for is a beader blade for your swivel knife. Tandy has a ceramic blade that works well
but they only have one size. Bob Beard can make one in any size you want. A bit pricey but worth it.
http://www.robertbeardtools.com
Also if you have a dremel and some old 1/4 swivel blades you can make your own.
I have 3 different ones. When I get a chance I'll carve some samples and post them.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Sawdust Jim

A beader blade works real well for putting a border on tooling but it sounds like what you are after is a push beader, as Slowhand Bob talked about. Barry King also makes one. If you want to make your own "on the cheap" to see if it will work for what you want to do, you can modify an edge crease by filing the index side even with the crease side, then filing a bevel on it to give it an edge. Once done, put a good polish on it.

Good Luck,
Jim
SASS # 62093

cowboywc

Howdy
Here is a pix of the three different beader blades I use and their impression.
WC
Leather by WC / Standing Bear's Trading Post

Marshal Will Wingam

Those make great bead tools, pard. Thanks for posting the photo. I'll get on making a couple. :D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Seth Shaw

Quote from: cowboywc on February 07, 2008, 02:26:17 PM
Howdy
Here is a pix of the three different beader blades I use and their impression.
WC

Wow ... that exactly what I have been looking for. Curses, now I have to somehow tricky trick my way into purchasing a few beader blades and a quality swivel knife.
See me takin' shots at the bar like I'm bullet-proof.
USFA-CSS #176

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com