Missouri History

Started by Will Dearborn, April 29, 2007, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Creek Kid

Books OToole

Quote from: Fox Creek Kid on June 06, 2007, 12:23:48 PM
P.S. Marmaduke was a lousy general.

General Marmaduke was wounded at the Battle of Mine Creek.  He was subsequently captured by Pvt. James Dunlavy of the 3rd Iowa Cavalry.  His capture was considered important enough that Pvt. Dunlavy was given a furlough for the rest of his enlistment, and presented the Medal of Honor.

Most of the Confederate Generals were sub-par*.  That's why they lost.

Books

Of course there are exceptions.  J.O. Shleby, Nathan Forest, Thomas Jackson all leap to mind.
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Ozark Iron John

Quote from: Books OToole on June 06, 2007, 12:38:08 PM

Of course there are exceptions.  J.O. Shleby, Nathan Forest, Thomas Jackson all leap to mind.

Them other two weren't from Missouri.

How about Brigadier General Meriwether Jeff Thompson from St. Joseph, Missouri?

He kept the invaders running around for a long time and he can ride-n-shoot too!

"Wrap my Body in a Bonnie Blue Flag and bury me with my Feet in the South!"
>:(    - Ozark Iron John cir. 1876

SASS #60933, CMSA #4406, Masonic Cowboy Shootist

Fox Creek Kid

Books, Mr. Dunlavy was from my home county!!  ;D 

Will Dearborn

Speaking of Missouri Governors... did we mention THIS guy?  HE had....something.... to do with the events of the few years following his term...

Missouri Governor Claiborne F. Jackson, Governor's Proclamation to the People of Missouri, June 12, 1861:

"I hold it to be my solemn duty to remind you that Missouri is still one of the United States... and that meanwhile it is your duty to obey all constitutional requirements of the Federal Government.  But it is equally my duty to advise you that your first allegiance is due to your own State, and that you are under no obligation whatever to obey the unconstitutional edicts of the military despotism which has enthroned itself at Washington."

"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com