-

Started by Seth Hawkins, April 27, 2007, 06:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seth Hawkins

Deadeye Don

Wow  those are beautiful.  Whoever had those converted did a fantastic job.  The wood on the grips is fantastic.  Are those cut for stock fitting also.  It looks like they are.  You must be proud.   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Long Johns Wolf

Good idea Seth. Pic of my 2 prized Centaur Colt license M 1860/1960 Armies. They have 3-screw frames cut for shoulder stock. The blue one (carbon steel) comes with 2 rebated cylinders: one plain, one with the Centaur engraving, the stainless one has the fully fluted cylinder. Sweet actions as you would expect from a Colt license gun.
Stumbled over them at a gun show last year. They had my name written all over them, and they were a steal because they were perceived as Italian replicas.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Long Johns Wolf

Ok the system did not take the other pic, here we go again.
Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Flint

Two of my favorites, Ubertis shown with R&D conversions installed, and the 7-1/2 inch barrel gun also has a 5-1/2 inch barrel to match the short one.  The ejector assy's are from the 1872, the gripframes are Thunderer.  Front sight on 7-1/2 is from Uberti Remington, short scratch built.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Halfway Creek Charlie

Here'sy newest "BABY

1972 Colt 2nd Gen. 1851 navy, as yet unfired.

SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Jrw8214

Those are beautiful Seth. Thats the one conversion Cimarron should make that they havent yet(now that theyve introduced the Richards II).
Who did the work?

Flint

So I decided to make another, 4-1/2 inch, now it needs a front sight and a reblue.  I wanted 4 inches but the barrel marking might be too close, maybe with a post, but then I'll have to redo the muzzle crown and bevel.  Happened to have an old spare barrel in the drawer.

The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

afa

Hello Seth,

Quote from: Seth Hawkins on April 27, 2007, 06:35:42 AM
My Honey's:

3rd generation Colt 1861 Navy's.
Calibre 38 Long Colt
Converted by Kenny Howell

These are not drop-in conversions.  The original percussion cylinders were cut-down, the hammers modified, and the barrel lugs contoured just as the originals were done by the Colt factory 100+ years ago.  They retain the fourth screw and the notch in the recoil shield on the left side.  The right side notch was filled-in for the conversion ring/loading gate screw.  The front sight's were replaced with a dovetailed front sight, and the barrels were lined for use with .357-sized lead.

As I'm not the original owner of the guns, I can't provide much more in the way of details about them.

I LOVE these guns!  They feel like an extension of me when I hold them and shoot them.

It seems that the bottom gun has some purplish colored ejector housing while the top ones is black.
I have a Kenny Howell 1860 1st Richards conversion with the same off color and wonder what´s the reason for these differences in finish.

Andreas Prinz

Major 2

My turn ( yeah I finally got a new Digital camera )

12 OClock  - USPFA Type 1 Prototype
1 OClock - 2nd Gen.  Colt BP
3 OClock - Original Three Screw (Circa 1862 Issued to the 5 Iowa Cavalry)
5 OClock - 72 OT
6 OClock - Kenny Howell Type 1 ( yep ! the extractor is a tad different blue)
7 Remington conversion
9 OClock - 2nd Gen. I've owned since 1977 with R&D Cylinder and Ivory Grips
11 OClock - 2nd Gen. Colt BP 51 Navy
when planets align...do the deal !

Marshal Deadwood

Guys, them are some fine guns you have.

I finally got a '60Army (Taylors/Uberti) thats excellent. Third time was the charme. I do have to say Taylors were more than helpful in making things right.

The fit is good, the function is good, and shoots excellent. Im satisified with this one.

Some day, id like to save my pennys for a Colt '60 Army, 2nd gen.....and then have a tasteful set of 'ivories' (prob tru-ivory) mounted to it.

Aint  nuffin' says old west like an ot revolver. Far and away my fav's.

Marshal Deadwood

Hey Seth, do you remember the first one?

The bottom two 1860's are consecutive numbered 2nd generations that are still unfired, so far I've resisted shooting them because they have some value the way they are.  I wish they were blued but they were cheap enough when I got them.

Doug

litl rooster

I just picked these up this week....  While waiting for them I was pondering new grips...But after seeing the wood I'll wait.  Their Cimarons/Uberti's .44 colt

Mathew 5.9

Deadeye Don

Quote from: litl rooster on May 03, 2007, 04:23:24 AM
  I just picked these up this week....  While waiting for them I was pondering new grips...But after seeing the wood I'll wait.  Their Cimarons/Uberti's .44 colt

Those grips are fantastic.  i sure would not change those out.  That is really nice grain  IMHO.   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Dusty Morningwood

Well, not the prettiest girls at the dance, or the most exotic, but I love them just the same.  Top is a pair of Open Tops in .44 Special (shoot Russian in them) and the bottom is a gated R&D convesion of a London Navy.

Long Johns Wolf

Purple-ish Color: FWIW - I owned a 3rd generation Colt SAA from around 1978 production where the triggerguard was nat Colt black but was "discolored" purple-ish. Likewise my 2 Armies  2nd generation Colts from the Cavalry Set, approx 1977 production, have just cylinders discolored the same.
I recall reading in a US Colt SAA book about this discoloration some 15 years back, don't remember the name. The writer stated that this was found on a number of Colt SAA's manufactured during the aforementioned period, refered to it as "off bluing" or a similar phrase.
Bootsie

Halfway Creek Charlie

Most of the time this happens to older repros. the frames (remington clones are ones that you can ell easily) and the bbls are of different types or grades of steel and take the blueing differently thus the frames (or other parts on other repros) turn purple and the bbls remain blue.

There is an original Remy on Gunbroker right now that was reblued and the frame is purple and the bbl is still blue. SAD but it'l make the price better for someone.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun

Mako

Quote from: afa on May 02, 2007, 02:41:47 PM
Hello Seth,

It seems that the bottom gun has some purplish colored ejector housing while the top ones is black.
I have a Kenny Howell 1860 1st Richards conversion with the same off color and wonder what´s the reason for these differences in finish.

Andreas Prinz

Andreas,
Black oxide (gun bluing) is affected by the alloying elements in the steel. High nickel content or silicon are two of the common reasons for bluing coming out a purple or plum color initially, or turning lighter and taking on those hues as the finish ages.  Castings often have higher silicon content and have a tendency to turn reddish/plum color with age. The ejector housing you show in your picture while probably not a casting  may be a highly alloyed piece of rolled stock and depending upon the type of salts used in the bluing process will probably lighten a bit more.  There are techniques and black oxide baths that were developed a long time ago to deal with steels such as the Winchester high nickel steel, these are often the only processes that will render a deep black/blue finish.

If you want it to be reblued take it to a competent gunsmith that can explain to you why a finish would turn purple, or how they would deal with a part that was coming out purple.  If their answer is to thermally shock the part by plunging the part into cool water and then back into the salts heated to the maximum operating temperature of the salts, then know that is not the solution you want.  Shocking is a method to get a blacker part initially but it will usually fade with time.

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Halfway Creek Charlie

Mako,
Thanks for explaining that I knew there was a difference in the metals but didn't know why.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

afa

Hello Mako,

thank you very much for the explanation.
For the moment I will leave the gun as is, because it´s my only Cartridge Conversion and I´m really glad I have it.
;D

Andreas Prinz

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com