Second Central Indiana NCOWS Posse, Update 06/24/07, Page two:

Started by Ottawa Creek Bill, April 24, 2007, 09:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottawa Creek Bill

See update below...04/28/07

I've been working on getting this done for almost a year and it looks like there is a possibility that we may have a new NCOWS posse located in central Indiana (Martinsville area) 20 miles south of Indianapolis.

We have the use of a 25/50 yard lower range and a 20 acre range on top of the hill (accessible by vehicle) that could be used for long range buffalo shoots out to 1500 yards. And on the lower range, we've been putting in a woods walk. I'm going to meet with the range owner at Friendship in June to finalize the plans...but it is definitely a go!!

Anyone interested please e-mail me at bill@surf-ici.com, or call me at 317-797-8444. Right now we have plans to shoot four times a year (May, July, Sept., & Nov.), on the 4th Saturday of the month, but this could be expanded, with one of those Saturdays devoted to shooting the woods walk. Remember, you can belong to more then one NCOWS posse.

This is a black powder range only, so I hope this doesn't cramp your style..... ;)

I forgot to add.  there are six of us that are already committed to this new posse.

Bill Proctor, aka Ottawa Creek Bill
Phone # 317-797-8444
or, bill@surf-ici.com
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Trap

Sounds GREAT Bill , any chance of making the summer shoot a 2 or 3 day event?
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Ottawa Creek Bill

Trap,
Yes...as long as it doesn't interfere with the other two black powder clubs using it. This is an existing range that I have been a member of for over 30 years, so I can pretty well do what I want.

It would be really neat to host a Long Range Rifle Shoot or, an old style NCOWS rendezvous. That is something I will mention when I talk to Glenn in June...maybe not this year, but next year for sure... I'm really excited about the woods walk, I can see endless scenario possibilities. ;D ;D

And, If any of our clubs have any excess targets that they are not using and would like to donate them for our use (not give) it would greatly be appreciated.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Trap

NCOWS rendezvous, OUTSTANDING Pre 1840 or 1866-1899?
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Ottawa Creek Bill

Trap,
Probably want to keep it 1865-1899 time span.....maybe we should use a different term other then rendezvous??

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Dr. Bob

OCB,

How about calling it a "Gather Up"??  Had a camp most of the time when they gathered up the herd.  Kind of fits.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Ol Gabe

"...a 20 acre range on top of the hill (accessible by vehicle) that could be used for long range buffalo shoots out to 1500 yards."
WOW! What an opportunity for that part of the country! I've read on other Big Bore forums about the lack of Long Range events in the eastern Midwest and East Coast areas and that the best they can get may only be 500-600 yds let alone 1,500! Hope your plans for a new Posse and the range all fall into place, for once the 'word' gets out about a 1,000 yd Long Range Shoot in that part of the country, you'll be getting a lot of good press on the Big Bore forums.
Best regards and 'Good Luck' in all your endeavors!
'Ol Gabe

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quotefor once the 'word' gets out about a 1,000 yd Long Range Shoot in that part of the country, you'll be getting a lot of good press on the Big Bore forums.

Gabe,
That would be great as long as those shooting are NCOWS members..... ;) ;)

Bob,
The term Gather Up sounds good...how about Gather Up.. and Long Range Rifle Frolic ( borrowing a term form the 18th century)

OCB
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

James Hunt

OCB: That sounds awfully nice, as long as one of those weekends didn't bump up against a CMSA weekend (for me - Lord I love doing that stuff) I think some of us in Michigan would be very interested in the trip. Good luck, Regards, Jim
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Ottawa Creek Bill

Jim ,
We'll try to make it convenient for everyone  ::), With twenty acres we've got plenty of room for primitive camping, all in the woods. Sorry, no modern hook-ups. So, bring your wedge, lean-to, Bell, saddle roll, baker, Whelan, A-frame, Wall Tent, or, sleep on the ground like I do sometimes. Oh, there are a couple of motels in Martinsville, about eight miles west and north of the range.

Jim,
Got my new horse barn started, should have it finished in a week or two if the good weather holds up. Hope to do some traveling and some mounted events this fall.

So far, we've got twelve prospective members for this new posse. Hope to set up a meeting sometime after the National shoot. Anyone interested in attending......please let me know...should have all the range information completed by that time, and we'll be looking for a name.

OCB
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

James Hunt

Bill: the primitive camping with woods walk sounds irresistable and you sound as if you are about a 4.5 - 5 hour drive from the southeastern MI doorstep. Congratulations on the horse barn progress, nothing so great as to look out your back window with your saturday morning coffee and watch your horses graze - or kick down the fencing and barn you so labored on, but then you know what I am talking about! ;D
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

'Monterrey' Jack Brass

OCB,

BP-only and the chance to support your efforts...? The two best reasons for the Michigan fellows to come down to see you guys.

Best of luck on this endeavor. Looking forward to more updates.

YMH&OS,

'Monterrey' J. B.
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Irish Dave

Joss:

Good to hear from you, pardner. Hope all's going well with you and the other Hat Creek boys.

I think you're right. NCOWS is finally starting to find its niche in the Old West world.
We currently are communicating with folks who have expressed interest/inquiries about forming new posses in many areas, including: Illinois, Canada, Virginia, Alabama, St. Louis, Los Angeles and this prospective new one in Indiana. I think that trend is going to continue.

I believe it is for many reasons. Our recommittment to authenticity, I think is playing a large part. Plus the fact that we are open to many different kinds of Old West activities. I think folks are finding out that whether they're interested in the more common WAS shooting activities, reenactment, social events, non-traditional shooting events or whatever, they have a place in NCOWS -- and the common thread that connects us all is our shared love of the authentic, historical Old West.

We are starting to see, and welcome, interest from folks whose backgrounds are widely varied, including re-enacting, muzzleloading, SASS, NSSA, NMLRA, "cowboy" shooters looking for something less technological and more historic, living historians and many, many other areas. They are starting to realize that they are all welcome in NCOWS provided they share our passion for "the way it really was" -- without mixing history and Hollywood, or Victorian Age and Space Age.

You're also right, I believe, that NCOWS seemed to have lost its way a few years back, but as you know very well, that has changed. The organization is now united, optimistic, focused on the future and committed to growing this outfit into the finest group extant.

It's members like yourself and French Jack, among others, who have much expertise in forming a new posse, that can be of great service to the organization in helping these new NCOWS folks "up the trail" as they say.

I hope you didn't think that just because you served as our National Deputy Marshal in 2006 that you had fulfilled your obligation there, pardner,   ;). As we certainly hope you will play a role in helping these new folks to establish posses in their areas. I suspect we may be calling on you to lend a well-qualified hand.

I believe NCOWS' time has come to make its mark and to stretch this fine outfit truly from coast-to-coast. We're seeing the beginnings of that now. The decisions that were made to get us back on track and true to our beliefs were not easy ones, but they were the right ones. The seeds have been planted and we are starting to see them bear fruit.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteAs some of you (that visit the Frontier Spot NCOWS forum) are already aware, our posse has incorporated the 'Woods Walk'  we call it 'Trail Walk' concept and it has really caught on.

"Woods Walk"? But what about the snakes, ticks, spiders, cougars, Sasquatch, "undocumented tourists"? Won't that be dangerous?  ;D :o ;)

Grizzle Bear

Hmmmm......

We have had rubber snakes on our woodswalks, but I never thought about Sasquatch...........

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

Ottawa Creek Bill

Quote"Woods Walk"? But what about the snakes, ticks, spiders, cougars, Sasquatch, "undocumented tourists"? Won't that be dangerous?  Grin

Fox Creek,
If you've ever had the opportunity to do any spring time turkey hunting here in the Midwest, those are things you just learn to live with. Everything you've mentioned can be eaten in one form or another. :D :D :D

Monterrey Jack,
Since Michigan is where my folks are from (P'shob'ee-town),,, you guys can consider this your second home.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ottawa Creek Bill

Update....
So far,
We have nine members committed to our new posse including French Jack from the Johnson County bunch down in Kentucky. Two of them are new NCOWS members.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Shotgun Steve

Hey Bill..it sure sounds like a mighty fine place to hold a "Gathering" ! What you folks are describing is exactly what Marshal Deadwood aka Mike Clemons and I have been talking about trying to get organized.
After 25 years of 18th century scouts..I find that I have to have the authenticity in everything I do. I was holding off joining any organization until I fully checked them out, but it sure looks like NCOWS is heading in the right direction. I would like to make it down when you get things figured out. That is if you allow old fat guys to attend.. ;D I guess it must be about a 10 + hour drive from Manistee. Dang I live so far from all the kewl events.. LOL!! Take care Bill ..I hope to see you down the road.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Ottawa Creek Bill

Steve,
No problem.....we even allow young fat guys if you know any. I've spent a lot of time in the woods (in Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee) with Mike Clemons, Dale Payne and John Curry the past 30 or so years, even managed to kill them a few times during one of our many hostile scouts. If you've spent any time with Mike in the woods, I've probably met you at one time or another.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Ottawa Creek Bill

Update...06/24/07

Met a couple of current NCOWS members from the Indianapolis area at the national shoot this past weekend interested in our new posse. The great thing is...they have access to a semi trailer load of targets.

This will give us 13 members...now if Steel Horse Bailey will step forward that will be 14, plus a half dozen or so from the muzzle loading club that I belong to and owns the range.

Gonna meet with Glenn McClain the first week in July to talk about our plans and get the ball rolling. Glenn is more or less the custodian of the range since he only lives about a mile from it...more to come.

Shortly after the meeting with Glenn, I'll schedule a Saturday when anyone interested can show up and we'll take a tour of the range, bring your hiking shoes. Meeting location and date, later.

Bill
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com