Legality of Spencer Rifles - Are they "Weapons of Mass Destruction?"

Started by Cooleemee Edd, April 23, 2007, 05:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooleemee Edd

You know, I think that I posted where I shouldn't have, so let me try it again:

Hey, Pards,

I just downloaded the .PDF version of NC's law on firearms. Here it is for anyone interested:

http://www.ncdoj.com/DocumentStreamerClien...IREARMSLAWS.pdf

The question concerns a cartridge rifle with a large diameter, such as the Spencer Rifle.

Here is the statement in question (on page 24 of the document), which involves "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and covers -

"any other type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell of a type particularly suitable for sporting purposes) which will expel a projectile using an explosive or other propellant and which has a barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter."

I hate to make any assumptions. I'd like to have a Spencer. Unfortunately, it is out of my price-range at present. Still, with the law written as it is, purchasing, shipping, possessing, reloading and shooting the weapon are APPARENTLY illegal, unless there is a specific loophole in the law.

Any other states have such a prohibition?

--------------------

Life is too short to be taken seriously.
Prayer Posse
LASSOOS
B.O.L.D.
WartHog
# 8 in the .39 + posse
SASS #68719
SBSS 1944
Prayer Posse

I've often been told "Quit while you're ahead." But I'm not ahead, so I guess I won't quit!

mtmarfield

Greetings!

Check with your local Dept. of Justice, or BATFE for clarification; you may find that there's a loophole, or never heard of it! I'll bet there are lots of .50-70 chambered rifles in your State.

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield:.
                    4-23-07

Grapeshot

They, the ATF, et al, were concerned with the importation and ownership of Anti Tank Rifles like the Boys and The Finnish 20mm guns.  So, anything thats .53 caliber, ie 13mm and up, is considered a destructive device and subject to the NFA regulations.  This includes any and all 12.7mm (.50 Caliber) Machine Guns.

Antique arms and replica's there of are not the subject of this reg.  There are to many .50/70's and 56/50 Spencers and .50 Sharps that are no subject to this regulation.  Somebody was using a bit of common sence when they enacted this law.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Grizzle Bear

Quote from: Grapeshot on April 24, 2007, 07:36:21 AM

Somebody was using a bit of common sence when they enacted this law.

Must have been a mistake!

;D

Grizzle Bear

Rob Brannon
General troublemaker and instigator
NCOWS Senator
NCOWS #357
http://www.ncows.org/KVC.htm
"I hereby swear and attest that I am willing to fight four wild Comanches at arm's length with the ammunition I am shooting in today's match."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com