EMF 1875 Remington Quality

Started by John E. Ringo, April 22, 2007, 09:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John E. Ringo

What is the general opinion on these guns? Are they decent? Is the steel harder than the cap & ball steel?

Dusty Morningwood

A couple of threads going over on the SASS Wire on 75s.

Marshal Will Wingam

I had one that was a major lemon. It may have been a oddity because others calim great results. Mine broke every single time I picked it up. after 10 or more fixes, I fixed it and sold it without picking it up except for the trip to the gunshop.

I take that back. Mine was an 1890 with an 1875 sail on it. Same basic thing, though.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Flint

Presuming the EMF revolver is made by Uberti, as I'm sure it is, the Marshall must have gotten a lemon.  I have three, two 45 caliber Ubertis and one .357 EMF.  The EMF is (factory?) engraved, won as a door prize some years ago at a shoot.  Although older than my Ubertis, and differing in some fine details, it seems to be an Uberti, and has an early form of Aldo Uberti's logo.  It is, however without problems, and they are all fine revolvers.  My only wish is that they would use a proper Remington type cylinder pin latch at the front of the ejector sail instead of grafting on the Colt style crossbolt.

I had, over 15 years ago, an Uberti in 44-40, and its only problem was that the cylinder was barely longer than the loaded cartridge, and if the bullets weren't seated to the crimp groove of a proper 44-40 200 gr bullet, the lead would protrude just enough to bind the cylinder.  However, that's a reloading problem.

The steel is certainly harder than the cap & ball guns, as it would have to be for smokeless cartridges to begin with.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

John E. Ringo

Will a Colt mainspring and bolt/trigger spring fit the 1875? Or are the springs different? I wonder if Wolff springs would fit.

Sod Buster

I have had the hand springs break frequently on mine.  I have a pair of Uberti/EMF 1875s and each has had two handsprings break.  They are  both less than one year old.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Dusty Morningwood

Quote from: Sod Buster on April 23, 2007, 06:37:50 PM
I have had the hand springs break frequently on mine.  I have a pair of Uberti/EMF 1875s and each has had two handsprings break.  They are  both less than one year old.

Is this a design flaw or just bad metal?  Are better quality replacement parts available?

Flint

It is sort of a design flaw, the hand spring will break or weaken on the Colt type too.  The replacement for both is little better.  Many people have had success forming a new spring from a Bobby Pin, and they last longer.  The Italians aren't very good at heat treating springs, it would seem.

Trap shooters with those multi-thousand dollar Italian shotguns keep a supply of springs in their box as well.......
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Dusty Morningwood

Dang!  It's the important little things that always have shortcuts taken.

Jubal Starbuck

Howdy,
   I'd like to jump in here and add my 2 cents worth.  I got an 1875 Remington from EMF in .44-40 several years back and shot it for a season.  I liked it so well I bought another one just like it, so now I have a pair that I enjoy a lot.  Stoned up a few rough spots and polished up the cylinder pins and just shot 'em.  I haven't had anything break so far; I even shoot black powder loads in 'em with good luck. I think the MAV D bullets and SPG are a big help here.  I'm gonna hang on to mine!

Regards,

Jubal Starbuck

Grapeshot

I picked up a pair about seven years ago.  I had the guys at Walker Colt fit a .44 Special cylinder to them and tune them up a bit.  I supplied a .357 cylinder to them and they bored it out to .44 Spl.  They are my Main Black Powder Match Guns and I love them.

I can shoot .44 Spl, .44 Colt and .44 Russian out of that .44 Spl cylinder as well as .44/40 in the original cylinder.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: Grapeshot on April 25, 2007, 06:03:15 AMI can shoot .44 Spl, .44 Colt and .44 Russian out of that .44 Spl cylinder as well as .44/40 in the original cylinder.
That was the best caliber you could choose. I like it.

John E. Ringo

.44 Russian rocks! I love that caliber.

The Uberti looks different from the original. There is less room in front of the cylinder, at the breech end. And of course the cross bolt frame is "Coltish". If I buy one, I'm gonna ask my gunsmith if he can do a coil hand spring conversion.

Update: I ordered the 7.5" .357/.38 blued model.

John E. Ringo

The gun arrived, but it has a major cosmetic flaw on the triggerguard. Also, the cylinder gap is a little large for my taste. So, we're shipping it back to EMF and requesting that they inspect the replacement before they ship it.

It felt great in the hand though. I think I liked it more than a Colt.

Marshal Will Wingam

Quote from: John E. Ringo on April 28, 2007, 01:09:08 PMIt felt great in the hand though.
For some reason, Remington got it so right that the different manufacturers of the new replicas with variations in the grip shape all feel good because they are close to the original design. Other designs don't fit my hand like the Remmies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com