mtmarfield

Greetings!

Who else but myself would LOVE to see ArmiSport introduce a
"Gemmer/Buffalo" Spencer? Octagonal, 30" Bbl.; Wiping Rod under
the barrel; 56-50CF; etc.
   If enough of Us make our twisted desire known, and certain parties
become aware of it... Well, We may just see it happen! I can see the
Buffalo Rifle fellows grabbing one for closer shots, and I think that there's
a market in CAS for it. What do You think?
   Let's See a Show of Hands!!!

Be Well, All!

M.T.Marfield:.
                4-21-07

Bead Swinger

Even more twisted, and interesting, would be if they teamed up with star=line and made it in 56/50 and in 56/45, and set it up for a .45LC bullet or a .429 bullet.
1860 Rifle SN 23954

mtmarfield

Greetings!

Yes, it wouldn't be too difficult to do; but, instead of reinventing the wheel, they could cut the chamber dimensions to match everyone's custom "56-46CF" Die Sets, and either bore the barrel to take slightly smaller "inside lubed" bullets, or bore it like the originals for heeled bullets.
   There were a handful of different versions of that cartridge, but it seems that they settled on one chambering when the Sporting Spencers became available; at least, the few samples that I have are dimensionally the same.
   It would be a decent "woods hunting" cartridge, too. Personally, I'm on a ".50" kick, I'd prefer the bigger bullet; but, I won't quibble!!!

Be Well, All!

4-22-07

matt45

;D
Oh yeah- that would be sweet
Up here in MT, two of our famous (or infamous, depending on your point of view) carried the Hawkins Spencers- Liver Eating Johnson, and X Biedler.  I would expect, from a practical standpoint, that this weapon would shoot better than the standard carbine, and it would probably envince quite a bit of interest among those interested strictly in the Frontier.

SpencerSporter

Being located in Saint Louis, MO, the home of both Hawken & Gemmer, I'm particularly interested in this discussion. Unfortunately the Hawken shop was purchased a few years back and moved to Washington State, and now the original Hawken shop is part of the north wall of the arch grounds and the 2nd shop that Gemmer ran is now a parking lot, so there isn't much left here to prove it, but both names are near and dear to those of us with a historical bent in town.

I'm thinking a whole line of sporting spencers would be a great line to run. I'd like to see the 1860 receivers with its slightly more graceful top lines. Also I'd like to see a set trigger option along with the frontier double set trigger option. Finally I know I could get Jameson Intl in SD to make the brass.

I've also thought a scaled down Spencer for everything up to 22 Win Mag would be a great rifle for the kids.

Mike

mtmarfield

Greetings, SpencerSporter!

I, too, am a fan of the 1860 receiver: its lines are softer, with smoother transitions; and, I suppose that I like the fact that it has a little more heft.
   I think the medium frame Spencer Carbine as seen in Marcot with the ring-lever is a nice looking arm. Of course, they would 'have to be' reintroduced in .38 LongCF, and .44LongCF first...!

Be Well, All!

4-29-07

SpencerSporter

Funny you should mention that action. Anyone else think a small frame Spencer designed for 22mag or shorter would be a hell of a little piece to shoot?

Mike

Forty Rod

Back to the original question: I would like one done that way in the new cf .56-50.  Maybe a 26" barrel for mine.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

mtmarfield

Greetings, FortyRod!

The original-style Spencer Sporting Rifle would be easier to replicate than a "Gemmer" Spencer: a round barrel, No Lanyard Ring, sporter forend, a receiver/"tang" sight{!}; it would, literally, be a 'no-brainer'. If they wanted to sweeten the deal, they could also offer the 56-46 chambering.
   Although I've really got MY heart yearning for a "Gemmer/Buffalo" Spencer, there seems to be more interest in an authentic Spencer Sporting Rifle... Perhaps, certain parties will take notice!

Be Well, All!

5-6-07

Arizona Trooper

If they would sell just actions, we could build our own Gemmers, Spencer Sporters, or frontier gunsmith specials. It wouldn't be too hard to make up a barrel from any number of muzzle loading barrels, 45 (46), 50, 52, take your pick!

mtmarfield

Greetings, ArizonaTrooper!

If they made the receivers available, then the custom gunsmiths wouldn't have to rework ArmiSport Carbines; that custom work would be pricey, compared to the Italians doing it for us, though.
   How 'bout it, ArmiSport! Sporters, and "Gemmer/Buffalo" Spencers!

Be Well, All!

5-7-07

SpencerSporter

I've been thinking about this, I've got 2 factory original Spencer Sporters. One was fit, presumably on the frontier, with a double set trigger that is like a Sharps trigger setup shrunk to fit a Spencer, and the other has the factory single set trigger. I've spoken to the folks at Armi Sport in the past as well as the Uberti folks. They generally want to see a variation that will sell at least 1,000, preferably 5,000 rifles a year. I'd be affraid they'd be a bit run of the mill and probably short lived. Anyone interested in a better made US alternative, more like the Sharps reproductions made in the US? Personally, if I'm buying a Sporter I'd like to see at least AA grade wood and options on the barrels and triggers.

Mike

mtmarfield

Greetings, SpencerSporter!

I hate to say it, but these days, money IS an object! As much as I love the craftmanship of my Romano 1860 Carbine, my wallet says 'Italian'. If a gunsmith can gear up to provide affordable 'upgrade' services for a couple of "Sporter" and "Buffalo" variations, bravo! The easiest "Sporter" route would be to shorten a Infantry Rifle's barrel, swap out the forend, change the sights, lose the lanyard ring, and a set trigger for those who want one. I would assume that an octagonal barrel, modified / replaced forend, and wiping rod for a "Buffalo" Model would take more effort {i.e. Money}.
   Are there any gunsmiths out there who'd care to comment on time / cost estimates?

Be Well, All!

5-8-07

SpencerSporter

My best guess would be 150-200 to shorten the barrel, probably another 150 on sights, wood is the tough one. The buttstocks is a pain, but a forearm alone would be 75-125. So on a 1150 dollar gun you'd be about another 450 into it. So it would be about 1600 total package not including a new buttstock. Set trigger would probably be 250 or so. I'm not a smith, but I've been involved in manufacturing a bit. I'd think a manufacturer would be able to do the package here for around the same price.

mtmarfield

Greetings!

'Track o/t Wolf' has a Buffalo Spencer in 56-46; slick looking gun! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Be Well!

5-23-07

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com