Accepted Firearms

Started by Texas Red, April 21, 2007, 11:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Red

NCOWS Members,

Have given some thought to joining NCOWS and shooting events in IL and Iowa.  Going thru list of acceptable firearms, pistols.  USFA Rodeos are not acceptable.  Is this because of finish?  If different finish, antiqued or blued and CCH finish is applied, would Rodeo pistols then become acceptable?

Thanking all replies in Advance.

Regards,
Texas Red

Deadeye Don

Red,    As I read the NCOWS rules from the Tally Book,  no Matte finished guns are allowed, so I believe this would rule out the Rodeo as it is finished coming from USFA.  However, since the Rodeo is actually the same gun as the Premiums offered by USFA with the exception of the finish,  if you want to buy the Rodeo and refinish it so it is more historicallly correct (bluing and case color) for NCOWS then you can.  In my opinion if you want a USFA SAA, then you might as well purchase a Premium SAA unless you plan to do the work yourself.  The extra cost of refinishing the Rodeo probably would not offset the extra cost of the Premium revolver.
Hope this helps.   NCOWS is a  great organization so I hope you join.

Safe shooting. Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

St. George

If you opt to refinish - remember that yours at that time would be a new revolver, so the blued and casehardened finish waould be most common - rather than an 'antiqued' finish.

You could polish the piece yourself and have a good plating shop nickel it, though.

Nickelled guns were the 'stainless steel' guns of today - that finish being useful in keeping rust at bay.

The simplest thing would be to get one with the needed finish as supplied.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Irish Dave

Texas Red:

Yep, it's the finish, not the gun that prohibits the Rodeo. An appropriately refinished Rodeo would be acceptible.

Hope this helps and that you decide to join up with our great outfit.
Thanks for the interest,

--Dave
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com