Winchester 97 Questions

Started by CaliRN, April 06, 2007, 06:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaliRN

Hi All,
New member here, I have been restoring Winchester 97s for several years and recently started a 16 ga (TD) project.
I have never had to replace the barrel and the takedown extension, and therein lies my problem.
The barrel was pitted and had to be replaced so I got a replacement barrel and barrel extension.  Question is how
to fit it.  When tightened down it  attaches to the barrel so that the sight and barrel band detent is in the proper
position.  What is the proper way to fit it?  Do you file/sand the front of the takedown extension to fit (trial and error)
or is there some other method.  Thanks for your advice ahead of time, and I really enjoy the site.  Very friendly, full
of good information and kindred spirits.

Good Shooting,
Art

Pettifogger

You might have better luck with this question over on the SASS wire.  Been a while since I've worked on or shot 97's since I have been shooting BP for several years and 97s aren't legal for BP.  One thing I do remember is that on the take-down models the chamber is split between the receiver and the barrel/barrel extension.  You have to run a chambering reamer into the complete chamber after the new barrel is fitted to make sure the new chamber doesn't have a ridge in it.

hoppy

I just bought an 1897 Winchester. It is in good shape. According to the serial number, its an E model made in 1900. It shoots fine. I shot a few 2 3/4 inch 00 buck shots through it yesterday. After I did, I got concerned that today's 2 3/4 inch sells might be too much for it. Can you tell me if I need to do anything special about the ammo I use in this gun? It's the first 97 I've had.

Thanks

Autry

WINTERVILLE WILL

That gun may or may not be chambered for 2 3/4" shells...in any case buckshot is not the load to use in old guns...try low noise/low recoil shells, you may get better results...

Camille Eonich

Quote from: WINTERVILLE WILL on May 17, 2007, 01:01:40 PM
That gun may or may not be chambered for 2 3/4" shells...in any case buckshot is not the load to use in old guns...try low noise/low recoil shells, you may get better results...

Excellent advice, stick to low noise low recoil shells.
"Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left."
― Clint Eastwood

Marauder

As to chamber length, even later model 97's that are marked 2 3/4 were a little short for modern shells when we measured them.  Shooting the lighter loads will help avoid problems with wear on these great old guns.

You can have the chamber lengthened - and at the same time lengthened the forcing cone from the standard (about 1/2) to 1 1/2 to further reduce pressures. 

Concerning the rebuild with a barrel, etc, get the AGI video on the Winchester 97.  They discuss the barrel change and it is not something for the faint of heart or those without the proper tools.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com