Author Topic: From leftovers to powderflask  (Read 4297 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 105
From leftovers to powderflask
« on: April 05, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »
I thought I would post pictures of my new Powder flask for my Colt Navy.  I was inspired by a picture of a German bone flask from the 17-18th century.   I was walking through the pet store and came across the freezer full of large bones.  The bones are the kind of bone you see the bulldog on cartoons gnawing upon.   It was about 14-15 inches in length.   You should have seen the check out girl's face when I had my little buddy under one arm and the bone on the counter.  The bone was about $6.   Wife was away that weekend (a must for these sort of projects, as when I tell her about it, she rolls her eyes so much I am afraid they will stay that way.), so I chopped off the ends, opening the bone's marrow.   Next, I boiled this for about 3 hours, good thing the wife was away, as it stunk, due to opening up the marrow.   But, it was easy to scrape clean inside and out.  I let is sit in a weak bleach solution, as much to kill anything off as to whiten it a little, then in the sun for a day.  I found at Dixie Gunworks-your one stop shopping for all things black powder- a brass spout, complete with a bushing to glue in that allows for unscrewing.   (This is the most expensive portion of the project-Item number NA4507, $6.75 and NA4506, $2.50)
   After that, the project was shelved for more than a year, mainly due to a move and other projects associated with a move (landscaping all over again!).
   During this interlude, I dropped the bone, chipping/cracking one end.  To remedy this, I cut the bone, using the other end for buttons, Conchos and a plethora of other projects.  Then came the day of inspiration, I had just bought some BBQ wood for the smoker.  I had opted for a southwest batch of ribs, chicken and turkey, so I bought a big bag of mesquite chunks.  Two caught my eye as being a nice size and solid.  I squared and edge with the miter saw and carefully ran it through the table saw, giving me two nice slabs of mesquite planks about 4" square and 1" thick.  I felt this was an ideal wood to plug the ends of my bone flask, and I now refer to it as a Texas flask.   
   Not knowing if my bone was fully water tight, I did a quick spray of the interior with some spray urethane, not sure if it is necessary, but just in case.  At this point, I grabbed some wax, (this is actually a big ball of wax I have kept from cheese.  It really never gets too hard and a little hand manipulation allows it to be molded or shaped as needed.  Comes in real handy at times and I keep a baseball sized chunk in my garage.)  I rolled the wax out to a fairly even thickness and then pressed each end of my bone into the wax.  This gave me a fairly precise outline of the interior hole.   This I then transcribed onto the mesquite.  Using the grout cutter attachment to my dremel, I routed out the wood, to form the plugs.   A rasp was used to remove the outer portions.   I then positioned the hole for the bushing, and drilled it.   I now shot the interior wood with a little urethane to seal them as well.   
   While my method with the wax gave me a tight fit, I went ahead and used clear epoxy to put the plugs in place, knowing a belt sander would be needed to true up the edges.  I did complete the sanding process with the belt sander and then by hand.  I then used some Birchwood Casey finishing product for the wood and then polished the bone with steel-wool, followed by a buffing with the dremel.   Here are some pics. 

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
Re: From leftovers to powderflask
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 10:05:42 PM »
Great job!

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:18:01 PM »
Very nice!  Don't you love it when a plan comes together!   Funny where we get our inspirations from.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:36:31 AM »

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:35:23 PM »
Beautiful work!
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:05:54 PM »
The flask looks great....but something's seriously wrong with that dog's eyes!!! ;D
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 06:53:20 AM »
Most pictures of him, all if a flash is involved give major red eye.  I think he does it on purpose, he thinks it makes him look firece.   ;D

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
Absolutely beautiful job on the bone flask.  Who would have thought that one of those nasty huge dog bones in a pet store could turn into a swan.   BTW  where did you get your grips for the Navy?  Those sure do look fine.   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 08:47:46 AM »
Most pictures of him, all if a flash is involved give major red eye.  I think he does it on purpose, he thinks it makes him look firece.   ;D
Tell 'im he's supposed ta look at yer should when ya take a picture of 'im.  ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 09:02:15 AM »
The grips came on the navy.  That is the Hickock Navy that CAbela's sells from Pietta.   The gun is laser engraved as well.  It was a reward after I lost 80 lbs.   

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 01:33:41 PM »
AWESOME,  Mo!  You did a great job.  Now I want one ... but don't have the right tool (router)  ... or talent, to make one as nice.

How'd you make the dog?  :o  ::)  ;)

My Sheethead... er, Shih Tzu's eyes are the same when a flash is used.  And cats, too.  Probably MOST ani-mules!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 03:07:10 PM »
Right purty flask.  I expected to see your dog carring off the flask in the last picture to burry in the back yard.  ;D ;D

SR 
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 08:51:46 PM »
Right purty flask.  I expected to see your dog carring off the flask in the last picture to burry in the back yard.  ;D ;D

SR 

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 01:22:35 AM »
Wow!! ;D  Great job!  Great DOG!! ;D ::) ;)  Thanks for sharing.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com