Cracked holster ???

Started by Paladin UK, March 28, 2007, 02:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladin UK

Ho Pards.........

One of my old holsters has a nasty crack appear !  :o Whats the best way to sort this out!!

Paladin (what wants to make his old holster better!!  ;D ) UK
I Ride with the `Picketts Hill Marshals`..... A mean pistol packin bunch a No goods

The UK`s 1st Warthog!!... Soot Lord, and Profound believer in tha....`Holy Black` 
MASTER... The Sublyme & Holy Order of the Soot (SHOTS)
  BWSS#033  SCORRS  SBSS#836L  STORM#303

Real Cowboys Shoot with BLACK POWDER!!

Paladins Web Site

Paladins Very Own Shotshell Loader This is an animaton so it takes a while fer the 1st page ta go..

Marshal Will Wingam

Heck, pard. I don't know any way to un-crack it. It sounds like the leather got dried out and could use some conditioning. You may want to try a little Lexol or a very light coat of liquid saddle soap with conditioners in it. I guess you could sew a patch over it, but that would certainly look hokey. You can help it some, but it sounds like it may have to be retired unless one of the others here know a good way to bring it back to life.

It sounds like a good excuse to do a new pair.  ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Deadeye Don

Howdy,   If you have a picture of the holster, you might want to post it here so the leather experts  could give you sound advice.   There is nothing like a picture to let us know how bad the crack is and whether there is something practical that can be done to repair it.     Just a thought.   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Trailrider

Quote from: Paladin UK on March 28, 2007, 02:51:55 PM
Ho Pards.........

One of my old holsters has a nasty crack appear !  :o Whats the best way to sort this out!!

Paladin (what wants to make his old holster better!!  ;D ) UK

Howdy, Pard,

If the crack isn't too deep, just on the surface and not more than just barely breaking the surface, you MIGHT be able to sand it out and re-dye the new surface.  You may have to re-glaze the place where it is sanded off.  If it doesn't sand out without thinning the leather more than about 1/128", you are probably out of luck!  >:(   You can try applying Lexol Leather Conditioner (NEVER USE plain neat's foot oil on holsters or belts), sparingly.  Spray or wipe on and allow to sit for about five minutes, then wipe off the excess and allow to dry.  It will NOT repair a crack, but may keep the rest of the leather from cracking or crazing.

Hope this helps.

Your Pard,
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Irish Dave

Paladin:

I would recommend Ko-Cho-Line. It should be fairly easy to locate there as it is made in England. It's the best product I've ever seen for saving cracked and dried-out leather. Looks kinda like pink/red grease but works like a charm.

One of my best stories involves an US Army 1880s McKeever cartridge pouch that i bought at a local auction one time. The leather was cracked and dry as a bone, so it didn't sell for much. I took it home and applied Ko-Cho-Line liberally to it each day, allowing it to soak in overnight. By about the end of the third or fourth  day, the leather was soft and pliable. No, the cracks were still there, but it cracked no further and remains as supple today as it could possibly be. Its condition is no longer delicate and now can be handled, displayed and even used for reenacting if I wish.

I've also used it on holsters, saddles, dog collars, boots, various tack and many other leather items.

Nope, I don't own any stock in the company, just passing on the info. I can't praise it enough.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com