56-50 Resizing

Started by Fox Creek Kid, March 24, 2007, 10:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fox Creek Kid

I am trying to use up some bullets I cast from a custom mould that I had made before the Rapine 350-T mould was available. Interestingly, with the bullets from the Rapine mould I do not need to resize the brass, only bell the mouths & load. With this other bullet I have to resize or the bullet spins in the crimped case. The downside is that with brass that is resized a person gets blowback pretty bad. I annealed these last year and I need to again as that stops blowback. How many here resize every loading?

matt45

Howdy, Fox Creek Kid,
I resize each time, mostly bacause it supports the brass when the de-capping goes on.  No real neccesity, considering the strength of the case.

I found the blowback can be minimized with a very positive crimp, and a magnum primer.  Once I switched to 777, the problem was eliminated, by virtue of the hot load

French Jack

I rsize my brass for each reload.  I have not had any problem with blowback.  I do use a firm crimp and my preferred primer is the Federal Large Rifle Magnum. 

Since you advised that you had had a few other problems with your Spencer in the beginning, I wonder if your chamber is a bit oversize?  Is the measurements of the custom bullet consistent with the measurements on the Rapine?  Could be the custom is smaller and maybe a tapered bullet. 

I purchased a .515 sizer from Lee, and I have had excellent results with it.  Works better and is more accurate in my gun than sizing to .512 ---- Are you using bullets 'as cast' or sized?  However, if the Rapine bullets are satisfactory, why use anything else?
French Jack

Fox Creek Kid

QuoteAre you using bullets 'as cast' or sized?  However, if the Rapine bullets are satisfactory, why use anything else?

I shoot "as cast" after pan lubing. They are the same diameter. The difference is that the Rapine bullet has a larger driving band. I don't like to throw away bullets, French Jack. I want to use 'em up.

Matt45, I don't use BP subs. They are not anything like real BP. There are no fouling issues nor lube troubles with "faux" BP, hence IMO it's just like shooting extra smokey smokeless.

French Jack

FCK  -- Sounds as if you need to melt down those 'other' bullets and recast them in the Rapine mould.  That's what I do.
French Jack

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com