If you only carried one revolver ?

Started by Marshal Deadwood, March 22, 2007, 06:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshal Deadwood

Would you/Do you,,,perfer a cross draw or strong side hip holster?
This had been a plagueing question since revolvers I guess.

Marshal Deadwood

Trap

Seeing as how I shoot NCOWS Originals or Working Cowboy, I do only carry 1 Revolver. Usually in a cross-draw.                jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Forty Rod

I'd go with the cross draw simply because it keeps the sixshooter out of my way better, and because it's easier to draw when sitting, when riding, or from under a coat.  Also it works better for me with longer barrels.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Silver Creek Slim

When I carry one revolver, its on my strong side.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Delmonico

Cross draw, it don't interfere gettin' in and out of the drivers side of the pick-up, on and off a horse, 4 wheeler or tractor.  It don't move the hydraulic lever on a tractor when you stand up or sit down.  It don't whap yer elbow on it if you use a shovel, it don't interfere with mounting a shotgun if you carry it bird hunting.  It also put it from being between your hip and the ground if you decide to shoot roll over prone. 

As far as historic, I am pretty sure it was the most popular way to carry for a workin' man in the Old West.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Marshal Will Wingam

When I wear only one, I also wear it as a cross-draw for all the reasons given above.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

St. George

I carry a 5 1/2" Colt Single Action Army in an R.T. Frazier crossdraw made in the latter 1880's - early 1890's.

It's convenient, stays out of the way when mounted or otherwise seated and is comfortable.

The strong sided 'reverse grip' or 'Cavalry' style of carry does the same, since it allows easy carry of a long-barrelled revolver for the above reasons.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

RRio

I fancy the crossdraw myself. You can draw while standing sideways to your opponent, thus making less of a target of yourself.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it"  - Capt. Woodrow Call

"Proud citizen of CasCity since 2004." 
NCOWS 2492  SASS 22927   SCORRS     USFACS #28       GAF #267 Dept. of the Platte  AZ        STORM #178

Marshal Deadwood

I carried a series 70 Colt govt .45acp (and quite a few other '19ll's') for years in a Bianci cross draw.
Now that im into revolvers, I still perfer the cross draw, for bout all the same reasons you fellas do.
Thanks for ya time folks.

Marshal Deadwood

Stump Water

Interesting.  All of the reasons given make me wonder why law enforcement depts. insist that their officers carry strong-side.

Silver Creek Slim

Sure, now I'm gonna have ta try carrying crossdraw.  ::) ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

St. George

Strong side is fine - so long as you're not 'mounted' - be it astride a horse, in a cruiser or a military vehicle.

For the police - a strong side offers less of a chance that his weapon can be taken when facing a suspect - and also give uniformity to their 'presence' - itself a deterrent.

For the soldier - an Infantryman is 'always' foot-mounted and encumbered by gear, and his service pistol is not his primary weapon - so carried in a hip or drop-leg holster - he can get to it if needed.

For the soldier operating 'mounted' - the Tanker or Cavalry trooper - his weapon's carried in a shoulder holster, because the hip holster hangs up on the edge of the hatch.

The right hand holster of the Old West was often slung to the off side, or to the rear of the right hip for riding comfort - being straightened upon dismounting - this time for walking comfort.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Wymore Wrangler

one pistola, I prefer the crossdraw.... ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Marshal harpoluke

;D

Shoulder holster, for mounted, boot or strong side mounted on wheelchair. :o

8)
SASS 60019L
NRA Life
CASS
Muckraker
Straight Shooter
Army Veteran
GOFWG#269
LASOOS#35s,
Lookout fur da sheep, packs a 10ga.,
Ya loot, Ah Shoot,
Lord of the Dark Soot,
Prayer Posse,
GoofBall #12

Major E A Sterner

Stump, it's because when they train the Officer to do interviews they are supposed to stand at an angle with the gun away from the suspect. That way it's harder to snatch the gun away from the officer. With a crossdraw the grip of the gun is in the perfect spot for the suspect to get a good hold on it to get it away from the Officer. it's also easier to bring a strongside draw into play in a hurry, with a cross draw you have to bring the gun across your body where it could be blocked or taken away from the officer.
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Irish Dave

Correct period-style shoulder holster.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Silent Joe

I prefer the crossdraw holster for both my guns. If I carry both at the same time, I put my Colt SAA .45 on my strongside and my "Western Marshal" .357 in a crossdraw holster on the left.

Highlander999

Well, I gotta agree, cross draw seems most effective.  Esp if mounted on horse and working from the horse.  No need getting your catch rope caught on the old plow handle.

As for guns...  I usually carry my Cimarron Artillery with Tru-Ivory grips in .45...  I have both COWS and a nice lined San Pedro holster and belt.  For show, I'll carry it on the strong side though.  And it feels right sitting there, much like the Duke wore his. 
"I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch" ("Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor", Earl of Montrose), "What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good"
                     (Rob Roy)

bean bamdit 24424L

Howdy from San Diego

I prefer my Colt 45LC  5.5" on a cross draw holster

Safe shooting and happy trails :)

BB24424L

W. Cyrus Tolman

But if I carry only one, I list to one side!
10% off embalming on any body delivered with my card in their pocket.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com