Comparing various makes 56-56 case capacities?

Started by Tuolumne Lawman, March 22, 2007, 11:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy to the camp!

Well I only have about (50) .56-56 cases made from Bell 50-70 brass.  It holds  38.5 to 39 GBV of FFG Triple 7 and compresses about 1/16  (or a tad more) with the Rapine 535370 bullet.  That's OK, as that load of 777 duplicates the power of about 45 grains of Goex.

I ordered 70 more from Buffalo Arms, but they now use Starline 50-70 brass to cut down.  Anyone of you other 56-56 shooters know how the case capacities compare?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Tuolumne Lawman

Howdy,

I finally got the .56-56 brass from BAC that is now made from Starline 50-70 brass.  It is identical length to the earlier brass from BAC made from Bell brass.  It is a might undersized when virgin, but once fired has identical case capacity to the Bell once it has been fired, just like the Bell cases.

Using a Lee 2.5cc dipper (@39 grain by volume, 30 grains by actual weight) of Hodgdon's 777 is perfect with the Rapine 535-370 bullet with about 1/16 in. compression.  According to the conversion chart for 777 being 15% hotter than Goex, this is perfect to duplicate the 45 grain load of the original.  I paint the sides of the Rapine bullet with Lee Alox, also filling the single small lube groove.  With the hard cast I use, there in no apparent leading.

If I were using Holy Black, I would dip the bullets in melted 50/50 beeswax/Tallow or Crisco like Venturino does with his heeled pistol bullets.  One of my original .56-56 has traces of a dried lube coating over the entire bullet.

You could decrease powder by about 5 grains and use a grease cookie, but I don't use them because in hot weather they melt into the charge, even with a cardboard wad between. It happened with some 44s I loaded with grease cookies.  Using only about 34 grains of Black would not come close to the original 45 grain load.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com