finished another project this weekend

Started by knucklehead, March 20, 2007, 12:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knucklehead

I started this belt pouch about 2 months ago.
I was having alittle trouble figuring out how to sew in the gusset(i think thats what its called)
I played with a gouge trying to gouge a grove in the flesh side so i would be able to bend the leather 90 degrees on both sides making in a sense channel iron. well the gouge and me didn't get along. i even went down to the leather factory and purchased another style of gouge thinking that might be my problem. as my luck has it, the new gouge doesn't work for me either. I ended up using my stiching grover to gouge a chanel to fold the leather for sewing. I think I may just be gouge tool impared ::).
now to wrap up my story. the belt pouch sewed together without any more hitches. I added the metal belt clip on the backside instead of sewing on a belt loop. this way i can take it off of my belt without taking the belt off.

the pouch will hold at least 50 rounds loose of loaded 45 long colt ammo.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Triggersmith

Ole hoss, you do some very tasty work.  I use my stitching groover first, then I wet the groove down a bit and use the edge of my bone folder to deepen the groove and fold it over on the crease. I then lay the folded edge against a block of wood and use the folder to keep the edge nice and straight.  You can also run the stitching spacer in the goove to help set the fold.  That is a great pouch.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Johnny McCrae

Hello Knuck,

Very nice work. You did a great job on the Barbed Wire border. How did you get it so even?

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

knucklehead

Quote from: Johnny McCrae on March 20, 2007, 10:56:52 AM
Hello Knuck,

Very nice work. You did a great job on the Barbed Wire border. How did you get it so even?

shhhhh! its a secreat!
just had to say that ;D

its quite simple. i use the wing dividers and scribe a light line where i want the barb wire to be. I then stamp right over that line.
this helps me keep the stamping straight. the stamp will also cover up the scribed line.

I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Marshal Will Wingam

Looks good, pard. Thanks for the tip on doing the barbed wire. Nice and even on the spacing, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

knucklehead

happy to help out.

the basket weave tool is similar to the barb wire for one reason.
I overlap the barb wire tool just a litte when stamping just like stamping the basket weave. on basket weave you will overlap the tool also.
I like using the barb wire because there is no set way to use it.
I just stamp the straight wire then throw in a barb when i think it will work. i will also alternate between the double barb and single barb.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com